Tinting the windows

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
vw55raz
Gold Member

Tinting the windows

Post by vw55raz »

Hi all. Just wondered, if anyone has ever had a go on tinting their polo windows themselves. The tint is cheap on ebay, but i wanna know if it is hard to do or not
Phil6N
Bronze Member

Post by Phil6N »

Id personally get someone else to do it, bit of a art to it.
spot_on_jon
Bronze Member

Post by spot_on_jon »

its not to hard if your gunna take your windows out, but getting it right is very hard and youur gunna get a bubble in it...

I got mine done, payed £180 and he done a job top
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Bubbles aint that much of a problem so lon as you use a bit of soapy water when you put the film on, because then afterwards you can drag any bubbles out of it. BTW I never attemted tinting but ny bro has on a few different cars and they all looked quite tidy. But IMO they do look better when you get them done professionally.
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

thanks guys, i remembered i still got a spare front window in my garden, so ill just attempt it on that
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Just take into account when you doing it to your car you wont have the space to move like you will on the spare wndow.
spot_on_jon
Bronze Member

Post by spot_on_jon »

Biddle wrote:Bubbles aint that much of a problem so lon as you use a bit of soapy water
tru, but u dont wanna have bubbles in the water as they can cause u problems, u can also use a hair dryer to make the tints mould to the shape of ur window....
ximon
New

Post by ximon »

its quite easy, me n my mate did my polo in an afternoon.... or two lol. it would of only took one afternoon but we tried to be clever n do the back window in one sheet, impossible without bubbles and looking terrible lol!!!

You will need:
Bank card/ Stiff squeegy thing.
Tea towel.
Water sprayer with soapy water & baby oil in.
Sharp knife, no, really sharp knife! like a craft knife or similar
Tint film (obv.)

The best way to do it is to mix sopy water n a bit of baby oil (not sure why but tis good!) and spray it all over the window till its soaked, might be a good idea to remove the interior from the back to get access to the very edges.

Then cut the sheet to size of window by tracing about 5mm past the dotted area on the outside of the window, BUT be sure to get film correct way round, then simply put film on inside of window and use a bank card in a tea towel to move bubbles out of the film.

the back window is a little harder, i found it easiest to sit inside the boot with the seats folded, you need to do it in a few steps.

First of all cut 3 strips as wide as the window

Then soak the rear window with the babyoil/soap/water mix and if u feel like it even the film

while the first strip is still moveable on the window apply the second strip overlapping the strips by about an inch, then cut through both strips, try not to cut heating elements on window, and remove excess, what this does is cuts sheets to size while keeping a minimal gap inbetween sheets

then do the same for the last strip

its a bit of a pain to do but looks decent when done.

just make sure to remove all air bubbles and try not to stick sheets together and try to do it where its not too dusty.

Good Luck
:D
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

woah, i jus tried it and i got LOAAAAAAAAAAAADS of air bubbles. my mate tuk the tints off my windows. i might get them done by a pro