What to expect?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Grapo
Bronze Member

What to expect?

Post by Grapo »

Ok i have ordered my 3dr Candy White GTI due for delivery in September, but what can i expect from the standard car?

What are your opinions on:

- Handling
- Braking
- The engine
- Average MPG and miles out of the tank
- Front seats

I currently have a Lupo GTI, cant wait for my new car!
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

- Handling: Bit soft when driving hard, bit wallowy, typical VAG. Quite agile for the size of car though, sharp steering. Comfortable for a sporty set up once you're away from inner city road humps.

-Braking: Okay, but not inspiring

-Engine: Quite peppy for a 150bhp unit. I've owned a couple of other 1.8t's and the Polo GTI seems the most 'keen' as standard.

-MPG: 30ish average, mid thirties away from traffic and high twenties around town etc.

-Front seats: Personally they hurt my back a little when I drive the car hard, but I've not heard other people complain about them so it could be my monkey like stance! :lol:
They could do with more lumbar support IMO.

I had a Lupo GTI once as a loan car for a day and it was fantastic fun, the Polo GTI has a similar character so I think you'll be happy, plus you've definately gone for the best colour. 8)
What mods has your Lupo got?
Grapo
Bronze Member

Post by Grapo »

BeezerDiesel wrote:What mods has your Lupo got?
KW V1's, BMC CDA, Mk4 Recaros, RH Cups 8x15 and 7x15:

Anyone else got an opinion on the Polo GTI?!
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

Handling: too soft and comfy for a top end gti car, soft however its driven and nervous handling when pushing it, needs to be stiffened, however you choose to go about this, i did poly bushes, eibach and jabba ARB's with eibach coilovers

-Braking: mine is coping absolutely no problems with the 215 bhp its now pushing out, but when they need changing ill be getting uprated items, probably tarrox

-Engine: i personally found it quite tame and boring for 150bhp. doesnt really rip your face off like i think it should, I've owned a couple of polo 1.8t's and god when they are remapped they drive so much better

-MPG: standard i struggled to get more than 22 round town not driving hard and 30 on a run, but with the remap i can quiite happilly get low 30's round town and now its returning up to 45 mpg on a paced distance run.

-Front seats: i again found the front seats too hard in the cloth interior and they also hurt my back a little when I drove the car for any time, but the leather gti seats i have in my new gti are a little softer and far comfier, never had any sore back problems since
Grapo
Bronze Member

Post by Grapo »

I guess peoples opinions differ depending on what they are expecting from the car in the first place.

I'm not expecting a rocket ship, or a 'low end' VAG to handle well but i'm hoping i will be pleasently suprised.
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

youll not be dissapointed

i love mine, even changed to a mk5 golf gti then came back to the polo gti as i loved it more
Grapo
Bronze Member

Post by Grapo »

Jeff GTi wrote:youll not be dissapointed

i love mine, even changed to a mk5 golf gti then came back to the polo gti as i loved it more
What did you prefer about the Polo?
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

I also agree with the handling being very poor, very springy indeed! Am looking at eibach sportline springs and a strut brace to improve my handling.

Apart from that i LOVE my wee polo! I highly recommend getting the APR remap!!! See ppls faces when they try and race you and you tear them apart!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

well my new gti is full spec and my first one was a base model gti with no additions

i feel this makes the interior a nicer place to be

other than that i prefer its go kart like acceleration and handling once they are uprated,

i prefer the driving position and the way the power comes in is far more aggressive than the golf as the polo is the 20v and the sheer potential for more is always there

and its also respectably good on fuel for a pocket rocket

i prefer how much more rare they are than likes of fiesta st's clio sports, vxr's etc understated and under rated

im big in to the subtle styling of the car which makes it a wolf in sheeps clothing
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

I'm very pleased with my Polo GTI.

I love the acceleration and the instant pick up from low down. Last car did not have a turbo and I had to rev it like mad to get anything out of it. It was only 95bhp, so 150 is always going to feel quicker, but I always have a smile on my face when I go for a drive...(even when its down to supermarket and back)

I had considered an Ibiza FR for a long time, amongst others such as Mini, Fiesta etc but they were just all so common. I have only seen one other Polo GTI while I've been driving mine and in total only 3 since I've had mine (Jan). That was part of the attraction as it does feel special, Unlike every 6th car being like yours (previously had a clio)

Economy - I have been pleasantly surprised and am averaging 36-38 mpg
Ok ok probably not driving fast enough but this tends to be over fairly long distances with fair proportion of motorways too.

Seats - I found the seats to be quite comfortable but my biggest problem was pedals... if I set the seat comfortably for the clutch pedal my other foot on the accelerator was pushed up which made for quite uncomfortable journeys. Likewise set the accelerator foot right and I couldn't get the clutch down properly. (Before you say it, I am normal and I don't have one huge long leg and a short one) Anyway found a compromise which feels ok now.

Love the interior, so much better designed than anything else I sat in and dash is clear and concise..........and of course beautiful Blue lighting, not some common orange glow. Quality!!!

AndyGTI

:D 8)
flyfs6
Silver Member

Post by flyfs6 »

Sorry - I've put in a new post looking to find out more about the same things. I'd searched the forum but was looking for 'GTI in thread titles or remap'.

:P
polo1.8t
Getting There!

Post by polo1.8t »

I've had my Polo GTi now since the beginning of August, my previous car being a Seat Ibiza FR TDi (Jun06)

The quality is 100% better, but had few niggles dash squeeks / rear doors creaking, pedal covers came off, iPod adapter took 3 attempts to work after techy at garage checked out, bonnet release broke...

The acceleration is great, any revs, any gear it goes like a train. 5th gear up hill at 40mph and it accelerates!!!
Steering is precise, handling is dull however. Uprated springs would be great but pennies are lacking.

Fuel economy between 240-300 miles to a tank @ 35mpg average

Love the indicators in the door mirrors looks great at night when you lock/unlock the car...LED sidelights look cool

Very subtle looking car, great 16" mini golf wheels would of been better if VW fit 17's as standard tho

Reassurance that the GTi will hold it's value more so than my Ibiza!

I love my POLO lol
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

led sightlights??????????