Vintage Polo - Must go to a good home!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
davemcc43

Vintage Polo - Must go to a good home!

Post by davemcc43 »

Evening....

I should start with a confession that I'm an MG/Rover man myself but I have recently been put in charge of the following VW which is why I'm here....

This Polo is/was my elderly grandmothers car when she used to drive. She's now gone into a home so the car has to go.....

My knowledge about it is limited but what I do know is:

*It cost about 3 grand when it was new in about 1979/80

*Its done approximately 65,000 miles

*One Owner

*It hasn't been on the road for about 10 years

*We have the V5

*It's completely original

Aside from this I have no idea what the rest of the car is like mechanically. It was treated to a new battery 5 years ago and was fired up and ran well until the waterhose came off the back of the engine. This was caused by corrosion of the metal coolant lug on inlet manifold to which the water hose attaches.

The only other thing I know is that you don't see these on the road anymore so it could be of interest for restoration/conversion/parts for someone, which is why I'm here!

If anyone is interested/has any advice please say.....

The car is in Waterlooville (Portsmouth) and you're welcome to come and have a look!

Pictures....

Many Thanks....

DAVE
mk2matt
Silver Member

Post by mk2matt »

you have mail
davemcc43

Post by davemcc43 »

I've had a few PM's about the Polo so here's a bit more information....

Rust. The car has been dry stored in a garage for most of it's life and so the shell is still pretty solid and I don't 'think' there's any major stuctural rust, just some surface rust as you can see in the photos....

Seizing. It was rolled out of the garage and up the drive so the wheel bearings must still be functioning but I think the brakes are partially seized...

Paint. I don't have the time to T-cut or polish it unfortunately, bringing the paint work back to life (and the associated elbow grease!) is a joy someone else will have to have....

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer but I was looking to sell it. I've had an offer of £150, if anyone else thinks they'd like it more than that do say!

DAVE
davemcc43

Post by davemcc43 »

More News!

We put a battery in it at the weekend and it drives!

DAVE
davemcc43

Post by davemcc43 »

More Pictures...

Apologies, I've only just realied that my e-mail has been broken for about a week...

Anyone who'd like to contact me please use davemcc43(AT)hotmail.com

DAVE
89_polo_squareback
Getting There!

Post by 89_polo_squareback »

what size engine is this? and how much money are you looking at for it. also have you checked the underneath for any rust or rot?
davemcc43

Post by davemcc43 »

900cc I think....

There's no major rust or rot as you can see from the photos, just some surface rust.....

Looking for offers above £200 and she could be yours!

Interested?

DAVE
davemcc43

Post by davemcc43 »

Now Sold...

Many Thanks...

DAVE