A few questions from a newb Gti owner!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
GeeTeeI
New

A few questions from a newb Gti owner!

Post by GeeTeeI »

Hello, I have a few questions for anyone reasonably techy on here...

Firstly....Just wondering if anyone has any idea whether this is a load of balls or not really...

I've had serious issues with my gearbox and clutch (surprise surprise) and the gearbox has been rebuilt twice and the clutch has just been replaced (All in the last month, since I bought the car)

However, still even now the gear changing isn't perfect and it gets worse and worse as the journey goes on. As in... it seems fine from cold but by the time it's hot it's horrible to drive again. I've been told that this could be the gearbox oil heating up and thinning. Does that sound at all accurate? I'm getting an oil change this week, I would absolutely love to see an end to these gearbox issues as it's taking up so much time taking it to various garages etc.

Secondly, my rev counter never drops below 10k revs....Is this an issue individual to my Polo? Getting the biting point up hills etc is notoriously hard and I can sound like a 12 yr old trying to drive it sometimes because the engine revs up without me even moving my foot on the pedal and with the recently added exhaust is very noticible to other road users. :oops: (not sure if thats related to the 10k revs on the counter....maybe it's just because the clutch is new?)

Thirdly....Do red Polos paint fade at all? I wash and wax mine reguarly but there is there any other precaution I need to take? My last car was also red and the bonnet went a completely different colour! Interestingly, I found out my Polo had a repray previously - and it's only done 30k miles. (I've had it checked over and it's not been in an accident)

I really appreciate any help that anyone can offer with any of the above, cheers.

Neil
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Hi mate,

your first problem:

I get that ALOT, and I've also recently changed my gearbox oil, it does make things smoother but the warmer the car gets the worse it does get. It's just something I've had to live with!

your second problem:

Do try adjusting your clutch slighty, I'm not a guru on this matter but it may help (adive on how to do it here:)

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... tch+adjust

your third problem:

I've never heard of anyone having problems with paint fading, treat it well with regular washes and waxing and your should be fine!
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: A few questions from a newb Gti owner!

Post by Mouse_GTI »

My gearchange can be quite notchy now and again. I've been at lights and went to put it in gear and the gears just crunched, although I now have a short shifter fitted and my clutch literally has to be pressed right down to engage all gears.

I'm guessing you mean 1000 revs on the counter. Most cars sit above 1000 when first started up and should settle to around 800-900rpm at idle. The fly by wire or drive by wire system (always forget which one) makes the car dodgy at low speeds. It will thrust around and the revs will bounce up and down even if your throttle response is constant.

A lot of red cars paint suffers from more oxidisation than other colours (especially vauxhalls). If you machine polish it then your maximum shine will come back :)

That's a few bits of info, hope it helps
GeeTeeI
New

Post by GeeTeeI »

Cheers guys, thanks for the advice.

In regards to the 2nd issue. My mate has had an outing in the Polo and thinks it must be the 'Idle Valve' that is at fault, causing it to rev like mad when on the biting point. It really is embarassing while in traffic on a steep hill.

In regards to the gears, is it just a case of making do? There is such a huge difference from cold to hot. From cold it almost feels like every other car i've driven. From hot it actualy manages to stress me out a tad....you can't just have a nice little drive in the car because everytime I shift, it feels like i'm doing damage to the gearbox. 5th is also much harder to get into when hot as to cold. Would a very high quality oil possibly solve the issue, or is it not worth bothering?

Cheers again.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

GeeTeeI wrote: In regards to the gears, is it just a case of making do? There is such a huge difference from cold to hot. From cold it almost feels like every other car i've driven. From hot it actualy manages to stress me out a tad....you can't just have a nice little drive in the car because everytime I shift, it feels like i'm doing damage to the gearbox. 5th is also much harder to get into when hot as to cold. Would a very high quality oil possibly solve the issue, or is it not worth bothering?
Yeh sounds EXACTLY like mine mate. I'd definately get the box oil done, it maybe worth paying extra for the top branded stuff? (I dunno), other than that though, it's something which your gunna have to put up with!! (I hate it, just as much as the next man)