How to insulate your new connections

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

How to insulate your new connections

Post by polo2k »

chances are that it your going to be doing electrical work that isnt plug and play then you will prolly have some bered connections some where
your options
there are many forms of insulation from wierd pastes to electrical tape to heat shrinking sleeves i shall explain each.
nasty paste stuff
this stuff is basically a no from the word go as it is some kind of goo that sticks to your connection (sometimes) and usually every thing in the vicinity its cheep and rare
electrical tape
this is normally used as a last reort before the goop above and can be very sucessful but improvements can be made oon its adhering strength by heating it slightly with a flame and then squeezing it slightly its cheep and plentiful
Heat shrink tubing
this is imho by far the bes solution exept you are obliged to cut the wire if you are tapping into an existing wire. you must feed the wire through the tube before soldering then move the tube over the joint and heatit when it will contract around the joint and hoplfullt water seal it too but it only comes in a few diameters and if there is a stray sildered wire sticking out then the tube may be punctured leving a possible short. its fairly expensive but exelent and quite common
the one that i didnt mention
i feel that resin encasing it a little out of our spectrum and is best left to the professionals but it works a ittle like this:
join wires and place in some kind of container with space all around. then mix up some kind of resin (fibre glass resin would work) and pour. wait to cure and remove container... result
price varied and availability NA custom job
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Another great guide... Thanks Ash