Green Cotton filters?

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
CraigMK4
Silver Member

Green Cotton filters?

Post by CraigMK4 »

Due to the ridiculous petrol prices, and the fact it takes too much hot air in anyway i've decided to replace my K&N with the standard airbox. I was considering using a green cotton filter as opposed to a standard one, is it worth it? Does anybody here use one?

Cheers!
s-l-i-x
Bronze Member

Post by s-l-i-x »

Doesn't the K&N filter give better filtration than the standard filter anyway? I've always been told a K&N will improve performance (slightly) and give you better MPG. :?:
CraigMK4
Silver Member

Post by CraigMK4 »

Yep technically you're correct, but the way it's currently set up it takes in too much hot air which in turn is causing more fuel to be pumped into the engine due to the lack of dense, cold air. By using the standard air box i can use the factory air feed ensuring a constant supply of cold air, and hopefully a green cotton filter will give me the same filtration as the K&N and performance increase.
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

The only reason (and place) K&N's generate more power, is on the dyno/rollin'road. While on a dyno, the hood is open, with some massive blowers positioned toward it, to prevent the engine from overheating. So in that set-up, the K&N can get enough cold air, but while driving with the bonnet closed, it doesn't get that fresh, cold air from those blowers anymore, soo --> performance decrease :wink:

Try driving in a long traffic jam in mid-summer (at around 30+ degrees celsius) with the sun all over the bonnet, try to accelerate then :lol: :evil: I once had such a K&N right on top of my throttle, ripped the sucker off that exact same day! :roll:
CraigMK4
Silver Member

Post by CraigMK4 »

@Jarno - Cheers for that mate, thanks for clearing things up!

Can anyone tell me if this would be any better than a stock air filter?

http://www.green-filter.co.uk/product_i ... _id=205734
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

CraigMK4 wrote:@Jarno - Cheers for that mate, thanks for clearing things up!

Can anyone tell me if this would be any better than a stock air filter?

http://www.green-filter.co.uk/product_i ... _id=205734
My advice would be do what I did, rip the K&N off and bin the f****r. I found the performance from it wasn't great, so I put the standard airbox back on but changed the VW cold air feed system to my own (there system kind of sucks, it is good for cold starts as it allows the engine to heat up quicker but everything else sucks like the little 3x1cm hole for the intake, seriously you call that an intake VW :P ).

Binned VW's crap and just fed a new 70mm tube from the front with a 70to60 reducer with a jubilee onto the filter box. Found that even in the heat my performance was still up to scratch (when it was hot). But if you change to the oval filters to either K&N or the green cotton one you will still see a small gain on top of the cold feed system. I just find the cone sitting ontop of the TB not to give you good intake. Which is where the standard box, with a good filter and cold feed works well together.
CraigMK4
Silver Member

Post by CraigMK4 »

polo-sib wrote: My advice would be do what I did, rip the K&N off and bin the ******. I found the performance from it wasn't great, so I put the standard airbox back on but changed the VW cold air feed system to my own (there system kind of sucks, it is good for cold starts as it allows the engine to heat up quicker but everything else sucks like the little 3x1cm hole for the intake, seriously you call that an intake VW :P ).

Binned VW's crap and just fed a new 70mm tube from the front with a 70to60 reducer with a jubilee onto the filter box. Found that even in the heat my performance was still up to scratch (when it was hot). But if you change to the oval filters to either K&N or the green cotton one you will still see a small gain on top of the cold feed system. I just find the cone sitting ontop of the TB not to give you good intake. Which is where the standard box, with a good filter and cold feed works well together.
Ok nice one mate that sounds like a plan! Have you got any pics of your bay just so i can see exactly how you did it?

Cheers!
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

CraigMK4 wrote: Ok nice one mate that sounds like a plan! Have you got any pics of your bay just so i can see exactly how you did it?

Cheers!
I'll get photo for you once the rain stops.
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Since I've dragged the request for it for 5 days enough is enough, sorry I took so long... heres all I did. I took the standard VW cold/feed out (which is now gone):

Then I made my own cold feed system, it includes a jubilee, cable ties, 70mm hose, 70mm trumpet and a 70mm to 60mm reducer (the trumpet and reducer are glued to the hose):

Slammed it to the standard air filter box:

Feed it next charcoal filter and indicator:

Removed the lower grill and cable tied it down to a vertical support behind the bumper:

Only problem I found was the lower grill on 8v has slits cut out passengers side and not drivers side, so I drilled, filed and sanded some slits in:

And wollah:

Just need a new bumper :lol: so I'll be changing to the 16v once finance allows
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

there has been many attemps at a diy cold air feed however the best solution in my mind is what i have done ! .....
maplins electrical shop buy a decent sized bass port tube to suit the correct size alloy ducting pipe brought from any motor spares shop locally !
use the port to mark a hole in the previously mentioned plastic next to the rad
" i used a stanley knife heated with a gas bottle to make this hole ! it was a very good fit "
then use a bit of sillycoon ! please excuse my spelling , i was not very accedemic at school !
to seal arround the tube and plastic then attach your alloy ducting to the port then the ducting to the intake sysytem !!
i used a electrical tape to finnish the ducting not insulation tape but nearly the same ! it was very stretchy i think its called self ammalgamating tape !
i have no photo`s at the mo but you wont be dissapointed ! cheep and very affective coupled with a k&n panel filter ... cheers .. jamie