going to give in and admitt defeat

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
gaz2000
Getting There!

going to give in and admitt defeat

Post by gaz2000 »

my 1.6 has been having a problem as in it stutters when coasting and decelerating,idles rough as if its misfiring,and has lost sum of its zip.so far ive changed the following....plugs(twice) leads,dizzy cap,coil,air filter,temp sender and thermostat,cleaned the tb with cleaner,ive ran a vagcom and shows no faults,noticed in measuring blocks that the temp is 45 and the intake temp is 90 odd,which seems the wrong way round??,lambda working ok....just think i should hand it over to a garage and see if they can fix it at a major cost no doubt,all i can do is change the fuel filter now and take injectors out for a clean.any help or guidance would be great as im pulling my hair out and spending a fortune
Petrol_Head
Silver Member

Post by Petrol_Head »

I think you should ask Noz... I think he had a very similar problem where he changed near enough everything to change a similar problem.. I could be wrong.. but its worth a try.
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

Lol my name comes up with this issue everytime!

Put it this way: I have no hair left unlike you! Unfortunetly I don't know what else you could check. Also another thing you need to do if removed and cleaned the TB is re-align it using vagcom.

Mine isn't giving me any issues anymore but I don't know why its gone either :shock: I'm stumped just as much as you are. I find this issue gets worse during the colder seasons and never happens during summer :roll:

Sorry I can't help much as you've done pretty much everything I would've pointed you to. Good luck.
wadders
Getting There!

Post by wadders »

Have a good look around the thermostat housing to see if it's cracked. Has the water pump ever been changed? Is it using any oil, or coolant? Is the air in-take standard? Was the coil you put on a scrappy one or a new one? When was the head gasket changed?

Lots of questions, though I've got a 1.6 and had exactly the same problem. The first time it was the coil, then the second was a fine crack on the thermostat housing, which was caused by the water pump fins breaking and slightly over-heating. The new water pumps have metal fins. Once I changed the pump, housing and all the other necessary bits along the way its been great.

Like NOZ said it would also be worth having the ECU reset, or put into 'learn mode', so that it re-looks at all of the sensors again.
gaz2000
Getting There!

Post by gaz2000 »

cheers guys,took it up the motorway today for a 240mile round trip and she pulled ok,just feels like its pulsing if you know what i mean,revs up pauses slightly then revs up again,same coming down the revs too....new thermostat fitted last week and water pump was fitted last year before i bought her.runs at 90 degrees and doesnt lose a drop of coolant,head gasket is ok i think as she still has plenty of power and no signs of contamination in oil or water.il take her for a re-alignment and basic reset,might change the exhaust as its rattling and hear a slight blow at speed,also came to terms that i might need to replace tb in the future!!!! il beat it this bastard then pass on the knowledge lol
wadders
Getting There!

Post by wadders »

The pulsing does sound like the tb, that's what mine was doing before I gave it a really good clean. Does the cable look OK?

I'd also seen this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?c ... id=2894334

Best of luck with getting it sorted!
gaz2000
Getting There!

Post by gaz2000 »

cheers wadders,cable seems ok,im taking it in this week to be reset to its basic functions so will take tb off and give a good clean out before hand,will also take injectors out for a clean and a resistance measurement before reset.changed the fuel filter today as part of its service so the engine is tip top
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

Mine ran real crap. Still aint 100% but i disconnected my MAP sensor and it runs so much better. Even went through MOT with it off. I put a new one on and it still ran crap. So its still currently disconnected. Located on the o/s of the engine next to your brake fluid res. under the corner of the air box. you can unplug it without removing things. Its its pre 97 then i think its located else where
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

I had your problem, tried everything from tb, to ht lead, to oil and the list goes on after alot of money scrapped it and got a another 6n without the problem.

Its not very positive advice but even the guy at vw said he bought his daughter a golf and it had similar issues that could never be fixed so he sold it on to another poor bugger.