Polo TDI 1.4 PD Sport - engine failure - help!

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
BLiTZEN
New

Polo TDI 1.4 PD Sport - engine failure - help!

Post by BLiTZEN »

Hi, I have an X reg 1.4 PD Sport (128,000 miles though) that has been remapped by jabba Sport, and i am in the process of selling it - until yesterday driving to work, i noticed it felt like the turbo wasnt kicking in.. it was ambling upto 20..30.. 40mph with no feel of torque whatsoever. I left work and on the way home the engine was making a sort of whirring noise and still bugger all power. Going uphill it would barely reach 30mph and at traffic lights the throttle would irratically rise and fall almost feeling like it was going to stall. I managed to get home, and an hour later tried to start the car but the engine whirred once but wouldn't turn over.

Does this sound like a seizure problem / cam belt gone etc, and if so, how much would it cost to repair? I can't afford too much but don't want to scrap it though. :(

Could I sell it with a seized engine still? It's a great little car and once sorted is an awesome pocket rocket.

Any advice would be welcome.

thankyou.
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

from the first explanation i would have gone for a turbo hose split or come off but when you mentioned it would not start after leaving it for a while then that puts things in a different perspective alltogether

i think a plug in diagnostics is what is needed or roam the turbo diesel forums to see if they can point you in the right direction !!
buller_scott
New

Re: Polo TDI 1.4 PD Sport - engine failure - help!

Post by buller_scott »

mate, with that many miles on the clock, have you had the intake manifold cleaned out?

im not too sure if you know, because i am only new to alot of diesel knowledge myself, but this is how it works:

our cars have Exhaust Gas Recirculation as a way to meet Euro emissions rules.

++++++

oil from the crank case vent mixes with the recirculated exhaust in the turbo intake manifold

====

a sludge is created in the intake manifold that, over time, will build up to the point that it is so restrictive that air cannot get through.

this is on a normal car. on your car and my car (both chipped), this will be even more so as chipping results in greater oil blowby therefore more oil from the CCV into the intake manifold.

i am aware that at a certain point after a hundred thousand kilometers or so, its very possible that the sludge buildup is so great that its hard to stick a finger into the intake manifold for all the sludge.

so take your baby to a good vw mech, get them to check it out- it might just be a case of having the intake manifold sludge build up either burned up, and maybe a little sandblasting, and your little oiler will be able to breathe again (and remind you of how fast she used to be!).

good luck!

p.s. you'd be looking at a few hours of mech time as i reckon it would be a b***h to get the turbos out.