New Polo MKIIF - Advice on a couple of things

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
hazzeryoda
New

New Polo MKIIF - Advice on a couple of things

Post by hazzeryoda »

Hi there,
Bought a pretty tidy white MKIIF off a colleague the other day, full 12months MoT and 6months tax for £300 - hope it's the bargain I thought it was!
It's got to be better than my old 1986 Nissan Micra, what a bumpy ride... My back still hurts!

Everything seems to be OK so far, just wanted to ask a Q or two:

-MoT passed with no problems but there was an advisory for both front suspension top mounts in that there is slight movement in both. Is this common and is it a major problem? To be honest, anything's better than what I was used to before but am I expecting to have to replace these in the near future? The plastic mount cone sits proud about 5mm above the turret under the bonnet.

-Gonna try and get a compression check done tomorrow but noticed that the air filter was pretty black and there was a fine oily 'spray' on the underside of the air filter box lid. Is this a breather problem? It's a bit oily under there but I can't see any other oil leaks on the engine, dizzy or filler. What would it cost for a breather replacement/cleanout by a garage?

-The boot doesnt open from the outside. The button isn't pushing the rod which releases the catch mechanism, can I get a new part for that? Can't be bothered crawling voer the back seat to undo the boot all the time...!

Aside from that, any tips for things to look for on 15yr old polos which regularly go wrong/blow up?

Pretty happy with this little car, got the same feeling about it when I bought my first car!

Cheers,
H
steveo3002
Silver Member

Re: New Polo MKIIF - Advice on a couple of things

Post by steveo3002 »

yeah its common for the top mounts to wear out...theyre cheap enough to buy

oil in the airbox...a little is not too much to worry about , id suggest you clean it up and keep an eye on it

as for keeping it going ....a full service and cam belt/water pump would be a good start