What made YOU want a GTI?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

What made YOU want a GTI?

Post by nigelelliott394 »

I'm currently dreaming of owning a GTI... I love my 6n2 regardless of how slow it is. I'd love more power though and the GTI does seem like a great option. My question is though, what made YOU want a GTI? Perhaps we can get a little discussion going in here :)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: What made YOU want a GTI?

Post by alexperkins »

Umm the leather, the roar of the engine and all the other extras like the air con and alarm, electric windows etc

I think the best part is how quick they accelerate, and how good it sounds
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

Origionally i wanted a 106 GTI,but i wanted a good example of one too.I kept looking for months and then started to look at cars with a simular engine size and sized car etc.This is when i stumbled across the 6N2 GTI.I fell in love,i no longer even thought of the 106 .After viewing several and sepnding hours looking for one everynight for a couple months this too was becoming a ball ache,all had high mileage and had been neglected.Then one day a perfect example came up and i was the first to view it and had to buy it,i payed above my price range but it was well worth it 23,000 on the clock,FVWSH, garaged the lot.

When you get one you'll fall for it even if you don't want to.They have so many bits and peices for the size and they put all it's competitors to shame in both functions and quality.Although they are alittle heavier that rivals i definately would not let it put you off.The whole gearbox issue winds me up abit,if you look at Saxo VTS's and 106 GTI's the gearbox and clutch both tend to wearout in the same time as the Polo GTI.

Good luck in the future and i hope you get the GTI feeling.

Brad
mboyle4
Bronze Member

Post by mboyle4 »

name me another 10 year old hot hatch with xenon's......
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

My shortlist was a Mk5 Fiesta Zetec-S, 106 GTI and Polo GTI. Love all 3 cars in their own way. Polo was the best looking of all 3, the best spec and just the best car overall so it was a no brainer. I remember when I first got my GTI almost 4 years ago and loved it, and I hadn't even drove it before I bought it. Now I'm selling it I can still see all the reasons I bought it in the first place. Will always have great memories and honoured to own such a good car for my first car
wackojackso
Bronze Member

Post by wackojackso »

I wanted one since the very first time i saw it in the showroom and then in the brochure my dad got when we got home, i was 12 when i first saw it. Its an awesome looking car and doesn't look dated in anyway!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

mboyle4 wrote:name me another 10 year old hot hatch with xenon's......
A rather good point. Include full automatic air con too!
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

Stop it... your making me teary eyed...

I am still rocking around in a 1.0L 6N.... I NEEEEEED the GTI back!!! Damn VW with their lack of parts... (incidentally... Xenon components on back order!)
6n2si
Getting There!

Post by 6n2si »

I was looking for a more modern, well specced and relatively cheap alternative to my 16v mk2 golf GTi and the polo ticked all the boxes. Managed to find one with leather as the cloth seats weren't to my taste. After 2 years of owning it, I love the noise it makes, the way it looks and the way its put together! 8)

I remember sitting in one in the VW garage with my dad when I was 12 too and wanted it since!
Minstral
Getting There!

Post by Minstral »

i had a 1.6 mk3 fiesta si before this slameed on coilies but needed something a bit quicker and liek brad was looking at 106 gti's then just got into polo's and the gti was the obvious choice. had never even been in 1 before mine and i love it, everything about it
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I was originally sizing up a Audi A3 TDi Sport. Then I stumbled across the 6N2 GTi and fell in love with the appearance. It was a toss up between the two. It was either have a top Specced Polo that I could afford, or an average Audi on finance. I definitely made the right choice.

Despite constantly on the look out for a new car, you won't find a better modern looking car in my opinion.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

My brother-in-law had a really tidy 6N 16v, which is what got me in to wanting a Polo. Went to the local dealership, was introduced to the GTi, the rest is history!

They are great looking cars, with good equipment levels, and I've grown very fond of mine! :oops:
6N2 GTI 00
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

It was the look of the car that did it for me, brilliant styling and their really well equiped.

They are really rare too which was an extra plus point for me, they always get plenty of looks from other motorists when you drive past :) . The performance of them is also very good for a 1.6 N/A Engine, 0-60 in 8.4 as standard is great for a car that weighs over a tonne.
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

originaly test drove a lupo gti but the insurance killed me and the cost of the lupo was 2 grand more so i settled with the polo gti at an auction in essex and well there good if ya get a good one but i got a bad one and have had to build it into what it is now but i like the zenons, styling and the general love from all vw owners, cant go back now..............
DO IT......GET ONE............... 8)
funlovincriminal
Bronze Member
Drives: 6R GTI

Post by funlovincriminal »

A friend Bought one in 2005 & I went with him to collect it from the dealer, I loved it the minute i saw it & decided I needed one too.

So about a year or so later I sold my pug 106 gti & got myself a black one. It was nearly as quick as the pug, but fully loaded with a/c heated leather xenons etc. But it was the looks that made me want it more than anything & it turns heads cos not many of them around