Auto folding door mirrors

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Auto folding door mirrors

Post by john.p.clegg »

Not had it long but at some stage I disconnected the battery....lost the one touch window function...now sorted....(Re: One touch function on electric windows.)...but....I am sure the door mirrors folded when remotely locked......how can I restore this function?....or was I dreaming?
Thanks
John :wink:
Karson3270
Silver Member

Re: Auto folding door mirrors

Post by Karson3270 »

Is it an aftermarket function? Or does it come as an addition extra? I haven't seen any Polo's apart from one with this function.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Just a thought, but surely if you had auto folding mirrors then there would be some switch inside the car to fold them in? On the electric mirror control or something? Every car I've been in with auto folding mirrors has had something similar. Would be an easy way of finding out whether your car has this function.

I would love to have that function on my car though - I'm always really paranoid when leaving my car on narrow streets. Some idiot in a range rover always seems to find the cars which haven't got their mirrors folded in...
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

Well,I've just asked the wife (SWMBO) wether I was getting confused with a hire car we had recently and she says no,the polo mirrors used to fold away when remotely locked....so are the two of us are getting past it?

wouldn't it defeat the point of auto mirrors ,having a manual switch?

John :wink:

VW dealers on Monday?
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

john.p.clegg wrote:wouldn't it defeat the point of auto mirrors ,having a manual switch?
I meant some sort of override switch so that you could also fold them in from inside the car if you wanted, like this (pinched from another thread on this forum...): Image

Just checked the Haynes manual, apparently fuse 11 (5 amp) is for the electric folding mirrors... never realised that this was an option before. Why wasn't this standard equipment? It would have been awesome to have these...
Gillen
Gold Member

Post by Gillen »

I want folding mirrors :(
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

blazeguarder wrote:
john.p.clegg wrote:wouldn't it defeat the point of auto mirrors ,having a manual switch?
I meant some sort of override switch so that you could also fold them in from inside the car if you wanted, like this (pinched from another thread on this forum...): Image

Just checked the Haynes manual, apparently fuse 11 (5 amp) is for the electric folding mirrors... never realised that this was an option before. Why wasn't this standard equipment? It would have been awesome to have these...
Thought I recognised that pic :lol:

Don't know how they work re: the key fob, but they were definitely an option. I researched into retrofitting them, but it's more trouble than it's worth :(

Ash :)
Karson3270
Silver Member

Post by Karson3270 »

How difficult is it to retro fit as I am seriously looking into it, it is an extremely useful solution to idiot truck drivers taking off your wing mirrors. I've had my car for 9 months now, and so far I've had to go to the stealers to replace my offside wing mirror as I forgot to tuck them in at night, my road isn't even narrow! I guess it's my fault for forgetting to tuck them in, but I shouldn't need to as all the other cars don't. Not once has this happened, but TWICE :evil:

So K.I.T.T. could you show me which guides you were looking at to fit them? Thanks man.

***EDIT*** Just found some real nice stuff on youtube

Folding mirrors: https://www.youtube*.com/user/salvyx87#p/u/0/RxqIyzoAGyQ

Puddle Lights: https://www.youtube*.com/user/salvyx87#p/u/3/8B0CYUzLncw

The puddle lights will look extremely nice with bright white LED's. Not too sure about the blue ones though!
Turbomier
Silver Member

Post by Turbomier »

anyone knows what the cost is for the folding mirrors :?:
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

K.I.T.T. wrote:Thought I recognised that pic :lol:
lol, sorry mate, found it on a google image search and didn't realise it was yours...

Surely at the very least you'd need new mirror motors and the different control stalk. Knowing VW those bits alone will probably cost loads. Can't think how you could make it work with the remote locking though, especially with an aftermarket alarm :(

Going back to the original question from john.p.clegg though, I'd give the dealer a call about it mate, sounds like some setting needs to be changed in VAG-COM or something like that.
Karson3270
Silver Member

Post by Karson3270 »

I read somewhere on a MK5 Golf forum, that all the parts including fitting will be £600. So I presume it will be similar for the polo if not a little less? That is including the puddle lights.
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Post by kc »

im sure you dont need vag com guys, its just in the wiring! although on the cars that had them as standard you needed to turn it on via vagcom

the bits you are after are from a skoda octavia, you need the mirror mount, which includes the motor, indicator and the puddle lights and all nessecary wiring bits to go with it, then you need your mirror switch!

bish bas bosh - electric folding mirrors! :D

p.s - the octy is this model http://www.hpi.co.uk/images/16/194/1619 ... 0694_M.jpg
Gillen
Gold Member

Post by Gillen »

Will this just be plug and play then? Does the wiring from the Octy mirros plug straight in to the loom from the polo?

I want these lol!
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Post by kc »

ive not idea about plug and play, but theres only about 8 wires anyway, so wont be hard to solder it all together! lol
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

@blazeguarder: No worries about the pic :lol:

@Karson3270: I had a search on seatcupra.net. The thing is, the electric mirrors obviously have the motors in them, but the motors are actually controlled by a circuit board the window regulator. Apparently, the window regulators are different on cars with electrically folded mirrors. So it came to around £70 per mirror and then even more £££ for the window regulators, which would probably have to be new from VW as very few Polos were specced with them. I gave up on the idea in the end. Would have been nice to have them, especially when having to park on the street in London, but it seemed more trouble and money than it was worth so I didn't pursue it.

BTW, if you did fit all the parts, it also needs coding in VAGCOM, so maybe this needs to be redone in the case of the OP?

Ash :)