3dr Front driver seat wont fold forward

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
karlak
New

3dr Front driver seat wont fold forward

Post by karlak »

The lads Polo 3 door 9n front seat won't fold forward now (latest thing to go worong :( ).

Just wondered if it was a common failure and if it is an easy fix. It seems that the release handle that would fold it forward is just "loose" now as if a cable has broken or unclipped.

Any idease/help please :(
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Re: 3dr Front driver seat wont fold forward

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Oh i bet it sucks to be the person who doesn't call shotgun.
karlak
New

Post by karlak »

Ladiesman_317 wrote:Oh i bet it sucks to be the person who doesn't call shotgun.

Errrr, Thanks. That will be a big help :)
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

iv never had a fault with my seats apart from those s**t handles keep falling of to pull the seat back its not a definate answer mate but if you lift the handle on the seat you should feel some sort of a release once you lift the handle...? if not mate id say either the cable has snapped or its somehow managed to come off...
karlak
New

Post by karlak »

Dub_Dan wrote:iv never had a fault with my seats apart from those **** handles keep falling of to pull the seat back its not a definate answer mate but if you lift the handle on the seat you should feel some sort of a release once you lift the handle...? if not mate id say either the cable has snapped or its somehow managed to come off...
#

Thanks for the reply.

Just had a look this morning and found a 20pence was jammed in the release mech, so I think that this has meant they pulled the release hadle a little too hard and then damaged the cable - Oh well. Hopefully can get the rear seat apart without removing from the car etc.

Cheers :)
Dom.
Bronze Member

Post by Dom. »

Got exactly the same problem mate.

Hands down its the cable, I just dont want to rip the seat apart.
karlak
New

Post by karlak »

Fixed it :)

Took about 10 minutes and two tie wraps.

There is a silly bit of Plastic that secures the cables to the seat frame. This obviously snapped the bottom part of it as the 20p restricted the release mech from opening. Seat cover front and back come off very easily, just unclip from the rear seat cover at the rear and then "shuffle" it up until you get to the broken clip.

I then tie-wrapped the clip back to the frame with a bit of glue for extra belt and braces. Certainly alot stronger than the VW factory option and wont snap, if a rogue 20p piece gets in the way again. Then just pull the front and rear seat covers back down , re-clip them in and jobs a good'n :)

A quick picture below - The red circle shows the part of the black metal seat frame the white clip would secure to. The blue Circle shows where the bottom of the clip has snapped as the mech was jammed on seat. All I did was place the white clip back into place and then place a cable tie around the clip (between the two cables) and secure it to the seat frame. Very secure. Obvious really, but one cable to the right hand side release and the other to the left.

Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

fair play mate for doing it yourself!
wickerman14
New
Drives: 1.2

Post by wickerman14 »

I know this is an old thread. I've the same issue with my Wifes 3 door polo. Front passenger seat won't fold down. Seem's Handle looks okay and has some tension when using it.

Looking at the left side nearest to the passenger door I can see the cable moving when using the handle, looking behind the plastic cover but with limited visibility to know where this goes/attaches to.

Has anyone got a guide/pics they could point me?

Very much appreciate any advice?

Regards,