MK IV POLO - WHEEL SELECTION.. HELP?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
LJHAZE
New

Post by LJHAZE »

Hello fellow dubbers.
basically just got my polo on the road (after 8 months of being qualified to drive, yet having insufficient funds to acquire insurance. £2,600 b*******s!)
anyway, my mate has some deep dish borbet t's in proper good condition for £300.
deep dish borbet t's

and now im toying with the idea of buying them. or is there some alternative sex bombs that could go on?
im fairly new to this whole vdub lifestyle but i am gonna be passionate, so i want to do my dub properly.
So please, any suggestions would be appreciated, WHAT OTHER TASTY WHEELS ARE THERE?
Thanks

my car at the moment
J.J.OLSEN
New

Re: MK IV POLO - WHEEL SELECTION.. HELP?

Post by J.J.OLSEN »

dont go over a 14" with the polo. doesnt suit and **** the wheel bearings. im about to get my p slots polished up and get them on, amazing wheels! and as far as insurance goes they are classed as standard vw wheels (mk1 golf gti), please dont get bbs they have been done to death on the dub scene! banded steels are always good though!!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Not true. 15" wheels are absolutely fine, as are 16" wheels.

It won't cause any problems whatsoever with the wheel bearings.
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

Also not true on insurance. Technically if they were not on your car when it came out of the factory they are a modification. They were also not offered on the polo so they would be classed as a modification but no one ever really bothers. Borbet t's are lush though
LJHAZE
New

Post by LJHAZE »

for the time being, (with a wheelbearing going, new wiper blades, brake pads and mot and a service being due) i am leaving the borbets on hold, but thatnk for all the advice.
think ill probably end up getting them anyway just next month or maybe treat myself for christmas! ;)
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

The diameter of the wheel will have no significant impact on the wheel bearing (until you get to the point where the tyre is too small to absorb any bump, and so the bearing is subjected to shock load at each bump/pothole etc) ... Increased width increases the load on the bearing however, and promotes wear.

When you're saying a bearing is "going", I presume it's a rear bearing, (fronts usually last a lot longer) and has been on the car since new. Change both sides, and (assuming the use of standard wheels/tyres) they'll be good for another 15 years... Bear in mind that even if the wear rate is increased by 33% by fitting wider tyres, your new bearings will still last 10 years. The cost of the bearings is minimal, and is an easy job (rears - fronts require a press) ... just ensure they're well greased and adjusted properly. Check adjustment after a few weeks of driving.