Best looking wheels for the MKVI

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
r4vv
New

Post by r4vv »

Just brought one, not looking to mod that much but want to change the alloys.
Stuck as to what looks the best, what is not too harsh to ride on and whats the direct fit e.g. dont want to fit adaptors/spacers
Jollus
Bronze Member

Re: Best looking wheels for the MKVI

Post by Jollus »

I've recently popped on a new set of R36 alloy wheels, the R32 mark 6 ones I believe. Looking really smooth and a really nice comfortable ride. I went to them from the RS-8 Blade style wheels which were terrible! They look the part dont get me wrong but the diamond cut polish finish on them wears pretty quickly even if you dont kerb them. They seem to be susceptible to corrosion on the face of the wheel. Also they used to dent easily, I noticed mild shaking in the car ride, took wheels off and there was a dent in the inside rim which I knocked out and re-balanced (but you shouldnt have to do that with nice alloys!). Also they caused some harsh shaking when braking from high speed.

I would suggest looking into the range of ones available such as: -

R36 wheels
R32 replicas (few different versions)
RS-8's and RS-4's but dont buy replicas or you will have the trouble I had above.
Deep dish wheels such as Dotz Mugello are really nice but will need polishing once a year.
Scirocco Twist wheels (18" dont fit the VW Polo 9N but there are 17" replicas online)
BBS Montreal wheels (very nice)
Porsche Twists are also a straight fit.
Some Bentley wheels are a straight fit if your feeling flush.
9n3 GTI axe style wheels are also real nice and a straight fit.

Sounds like you've got a lot of weighing up to do, just dont buy replicas which are made from cheap metal that will dent!
88rsr
Silver Member

Post by 88rsr »

Polo Dune rims.... but I am biased
chewy_
Bronze Member

Post by chewy_ »

If your going to stick a decent set of alloys on then you'll need to lower it or it will look stupid.

If you don't want to lower just get some Montreals or similar

fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

Depends what you want... We had the nasty steelies with even nastier trims, and got a set of sport/diesel wheels... I reckon they're the best of the standard wheels:

Only 15"s, but the 195 width suits the car better than the 165 that's standard n the steelies (steering's VERY twitchy with the 165s!) and with Goodyears on, it was good in the snow too!

I did the big wheel/small tyre thing on my B4 Passat (205/40/17"s) and will NEVER do it again -inner wall damage on every tyre after just months from the useless roads and speedbumps... Went back to 185/60/14"s on that... The tyres are cheaper too!
Dom.
Bronze Member

Post by Dom. »

BBS Montreal 2's, cant beat them! (slightly biased view).
Bickerton
Getting There!

Post by Bickerton »

Compomotive TH monos (Biased ofc)

chewy_
Bronze Member

Post by chewy_ »

fonzooorooo wrote:Depends what you want... We had the nasty steelies with even nastier trims, and got a set of sport/diesel wheels... I reckon they're the best of the standard wheels:

Only 15"s, but the 195 width suits the car better than the 165 that's standard n the steelies (steering's VERY twitchy with the 165s!) and with Goodyears on, it was good in the snow too!
Had these on mine when I got it. 15's look a bit lost on the polo imo. 16's suit it well, 17's as well but you the ride is harder.
88rsr
Silver Member

Post by 88rsr »

better throw a pic up then....
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

Bickerton wrote:Compomotive TH monos (Biased ofc)

whats the specs on these mate? look great
Bickerton
Getting There!

Post by Bickerton »

16x8 et25 195/45 r16, its a little lower at the front now, intending on spacing the rears another 5/10mm
Bickerton
Getting There!

Post by Bickerton »

16x8 et25 195/45 r16, its a little lower at the front now, intending on spacing the rears another 5/10mm
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

Cheers dude
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

I prefer the montreals they look oem and aggressive once they have been lowered a little and spaces accordingly... I really do love vws exor alloys too but I'm biased lol. IMO keep it oem :)
granthirst93
New

Post by granthirst93 »

Dom. wrote:BBS Montreal 2's, cant beat them! (slightly biased view).
Have you lowered this car? Looks awsome! Thinking about getting some of these wheels in black? I have the same model Polo and looking for some wheels :)