9n suspension creaking

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

9n suspension creaking

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Hello, How is everyone today? Just had a quick question, basically my 9n is suffering from a squeaky front suspension (inclined more towards the drivers side). The problem is noticeable when the vehicle is cold and especially when going over a road bump/pothole with the occasional bang. Obviously from the description i gave its abit vague, but has anyone come across such problem? If so, what should i be concerned about replacing? and the rough cost to get a garage to fix the problem.
Thank you for the help.
Newaz.
88rsr
Silver Member

Re: 9n suspension creaking

Post by 88rsr »

I'll guess a worn/split suspension arm bush, if its split then the rubber rubbing (lol) together will make a creaking of sorts, and you would get the occasional bag from a harsh bit of road. If the banging gets worse/more often then the bush would obviously be getting worse.
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Thanks for the info buddy. Booked it into VW, but now im thinking whether i should just cancel the appointment and just book it into my local garage, to avoid being ripped off.
JB_UK
Bronze Member

Post by JB_UK »

I've got the exact same issue at the moment. Was hoping i could just ignore it until i sell the car in a month or two. Let me know what the dealers or your garage say?
Benmeister
Getting There!

Post by Benmeister »

Hi guys,

I have just had this sorted out on my GT, apparently the OEM rear bush on the front wishbone is sh!t and are prone to wearing and thus causing the strange noises.

I would reccomend not getting an OEM replacement and go for a polyurythane ( i think thats hows its spelt) replacement from power flex, they're not that much more cost wise, will last longer and according to my mechanic alot easier to fit.
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

That's the 1st bush to fail. You'll start to get uneven tyre wear if you leave it... As you drive forward, the worn bush allows more tow out, leading to inside edge wear.
Bickerton
Getting There!

Post by Bickerton »

I used these to replace mine, half price of powerflex and as good if not better quality, used them before with no issues.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-0 ... 4161449399
Kronkey
New

Post by Kronkey »

Are the bushes easy to fit? I'm looking to fit new springs to my 9N soon so might just get them fitted at the same time as mine has a slight creak at the front.
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

I put standard ones on - with standard DIY mechanic-ing tools. NIGHTMARE!!!!!

Evil to access... Had to cut the old ones out with a pad saw (takes ages!) then hammered the new ones in using copious amounts of lubricant. Snag is, you can't get near them to hammer, so I ended up using foot long bits of wood as punches. Note that's bitS ... There's a lot of hammering - the wood disintegrates after a few minutes!

I'd never do them again unless I had access to a hoist, then I'd look at making a press tool (plates, threaded bar) to fit them with.

Though poly are likely to be easier to fit, I had them on the suspension arms of my mk2 'rocco, and the squeaking annoyed me in good weather (they were fine when it was damp out) ... I was out with the quid-shop WD40 every week to shut their racket up.
Bickerton
Getting There!

Post by Bickerton »

The poly bushes press in a lot easier, is guides how to make removal tools using socket, nuts, washers and threaded bar.
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Just got a mobile mech round fitting both side rear bushes and 35mm lowering springs as we speak for £150, not a bad price i think, considering most garages said £170-£250, just to replace the bushes!!
Bickerton
Getting There!

Post by Bickerton »

Not a bad price as such, still a lot of monies though ;) you putting standard bushes in?
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Bickerton wrote:I used these to replace mine, half price of powerflex and as good if not better quality, used them before with no issues.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-0 ... 4161449399
I'm considering doing this. Will this set do both front wheels?
Bickerton
Getting There!

Post by Bickerton »

Yup, both bushes on both wishbones. Front ones aren't prone to failure like the rears but may aswell replace as the wishbones are off the car.
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Had the car for a couple of hours, looks much lower and handles much better too. No more squeaks coming from the front... but (theres always a but) I can hear tiny squeaks now coming from the rear. Somewhat pissed off. It doesn't sound as bad as the fronts did, so I might get them changed around the winter time.