Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Hello everybody!
I've been on and off this forum this past year just checking out a few pages and learning bits and bobs about the Polos, but I've finally decided to join properly and get involved. So as a new member and to show everyone what I've been up to, this is the build thread for my Polo.

The first car I owned was a Citroen Saxo. Not the most elaborate car to say the least, but, it was a first car nonetheless and I learned valuable things when I owned it (one of which being avoid French cars!). I did put a bit of time into modifying it, but tried to do this at the least expense as I really wanted to save up for something better. Couple of pictures of it here:

Not only was it not very comfortable, it was only a 1.1 so really slow. I wanted something a bit pokier but was really toying with what to get for a long time. I was 19 at the time so the insurance on a Fiesta ST would have been too much, if they'd insure me at all! I didn't really wanna get another Saxo (VTR or VTS) as I'd already had one before. My brother had a white 6N Polo for a few years and there was something about them that really appealed to me. Although I really like the new Polos, to this day there's still something about the 6N models that I love.

So then I started looking at 6N2 GTIs. I'd already decided that it would be black and nothing else. I would have got a white GTI if they were made in that colour mind. Took me a few weeks to look around, check out prices etc. Dealing with uncooperative sellers (why bother trying to sell a car if you make things difficult for the buyer?!) until I eventually came across mine from a trader in Camberley. One of the better looking GTIs I'd seen on autotrader so I went to have a look at it and ended up getting it.

Completely standard with original BBS RX2s. Non-leather interior (unfortunately, but didn't know any difference at the time).
From what I remember (over a year ago) it had just over 60K on the clock.

Going from a Saxo to this was epic. Absolutely amazing driving it home, it felt so nippy and just so much more substantial and well built.
It already had a Kenwood head unit fitted which was excellent and an Ipod plug-in routed around the back of the steering wheel to come out in the little compartment on the right side above me knee. Couldn't wait to get my sub back in!

Makes you realise just how well built the VWs are when you have to unscrew insulation etc to get to the back of the head unit from under the glove box. Managed to get all the cables in and the sound system working. I put my original Fusion sub and amp in from the Saxo and could not believe how much better it sounded! Like a brand new set. Nothing at all on the Polo vibrated or rattled, contrary to the extra unwanted percussion I had previously!!

I couldn't wait to get started on modifying the GTI. Spent a lot of time thinking about what to do. Didn't want to go over the top, just wanted to give it my own little unique and tasteful appearance. Couldn't wait to get it decked, that was very high on my list of things to be done, but the first thing I did was get the windows tinted.

Here's a couple of professional shots from my bro:

Just a little bit of history I guess to show you all how I got started on the dub scene.
Got more to come for those who are interested :D
Last edited by t.small on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t.small
Bronze Member

Re: Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread - Coilovers

Post by t.small »

You'll all probably be thinking that in the two pictures above the car's been lowered so that was the next bit on my list.

Initially, wasn't quite sure what to go for in terms of suspension. I wanted to go low. After the experience with the Saxo and lowering springs I decided coilovers were definitely on the cards. As I'm a student (I'm pretty lucky to have a car as it is) didn't have a great deal to spend so thought I'd see what the budget coilovers on ebay are like. In the end I went for these TA Technix:

Got a bit of help with the fitting process as I've never done it before and after doing a lot of research.
Initially fitted the wrong springs at the front. The coilovers all came set up on the struts like above; with the same long thing springs on the front struts. Larger springs came spare in the box (only 2). Couldn't work out which ones to use so just fitted the coilovers as they were but everytually found out the bigger springs were for the front struts so you can use the existing top mounts; if that's right? Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Was relatively pleased with the ride. It's firm and not really too hard considering how low I've gone.
However, I had and still have a problem with the coilovers. I've been trying to find out exactly what the issue is and I've not really come to a proper conclusion. Spent a lot of time on the internet and on here but still don't really know what the problem is. What's happening is that I'm getting clunking when I turn the wheel. The coilovers are fine when the car is moving and going straight but as soon as I turn a corner, especially while parking, there is a horrible clunking noise coming from the front struts. It sounds almost like the spring is catching and then pinging back as you turn the wheel more. I don't know if anybody else has had this problem at all? It's noticeably worse the warmer the weather as well, in addition to if I use the car more. Back when the weather was freezing and I didn't use the car a lot it barely did it at all. So, that's the only issue I have with the coilovers, other than that they're great for the price.

Here's some pictures after the coilovers were fitted:

Had it really really low at first just to see what it was like. Cranked it up a bit since then as it wasn't too favourable over speedbumps and to level it out so it wasn't lower at the back!

The next thing to do of course was to add the classic red GTI trim! I really believe that this small touch makes the car. Doesn't look the same without!

TriggerFish
Silver Member

Re: Tom's 6N2 GTI Build Thread

Post by TriggerFish »

Looks good! Glad you sorted the reverse rake out though. :wink:

Thought of getting a newer style aero wiper for the rear? Will make it look a lot more modern:

(Ignore the 6x9's - previous owner, gone now)

Got much else planned?
funlovincriminal
Bronze Member
Drives: 6R GTI

Post by funlovincriminal »

Looking Good, another black gti, the best colour imo :) especially when given a good wash & a coat of wax.

I'd also go for the new 'new' polo Aerial to modernise the back end. Cheap & effective & it works unlike some of the ebay bee sting aerials.

Keep up the updates
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

TriggerFish wrote:Looks good! Glad you sorted the reverse rake out though. :wink:

Thought of getting a newer style aero wiper for the rear?

Got much else planned?
Thank you :) Yeah I know it looked stupid at first, just wanted to see physically how low it would go and still be able to drive! I must have dropped it nearing 100mm!
I've got flat blades on the front but not really thought about the rear. Never use it so didn't see the point. How would I go about getting one?
Done a few more things since then which I need to update on here but not doing anything too substantial. Wanna keep it quite tasteful if that makes sense; not go OTT or anything like that.
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

funlovincriminal wrote:Looking Good, another black gti, the best colour imo :) especially when given a good wash & a coat of wax.

I'd also go for the new 'new' polo Aerial to modernise the back end. Cheap & effective & it works unlike some of the ebay bee sting aerials.

Keep up the updates
Agreed! :D Love the black ones. Been having a look at what people do on here and what products they use for the paintwork so going to try and get it looking real nice in a few weeks when I've got more time on my hands and nothing to do :)
I've thought about the aerial a couple of times. I bought a black metal one from Halfords that said it fits the VWs but it didn't! :evil: So took that straight back. But then thought mine's in actually a pretty good condition and does the job so I'll just leave it. I think I know the ones you mean though. Where would I get one from e-bay?
Godderz23
Platinum Member

Tom's 6N2 GTI Build Thread

Post by Godderz23 »

Looks great dude, just by lowering it in the standard wheels makes it look do so good.
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Godderz23 wrote:Looks great dude, just by lowering it in the standard wheels makes it look do so good.
Thank you! Yeah really does improve the look so much. Couldn't wait to get it lowered.
Speaking of the standard wheels, been looking at others for a while. Wanted to get some BBS RS or RM splits but to be honest they're ridiculously expensive and knowing me something would happen and I'd end up damaging them. The other option was something like Lensos but I think they're a bit rubbish to be honest and still quite expensive for a new set with tyres.
The other option was to refurb the ones I have on there at the mo. They're the best condition standard wheels I've seen on a GTI in a long time but I was thinking about getting the centres done white. Always thought that would look amazing. But then there was the problem of not having another set for the car and where to split them and get them coated etc etc.
Was doing a bit of searching and browsing on e-bay and managed to pick these up for quite a reasonable price! Fully refurbed with a diamond cut lip. They really do look good. Waiting a few more weeks till the weather is really good then gonna put them on as my summer wheels.

t.small
Bronze Member

Re: Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread

Post by t.small »

In addition to the sound system when I first drove the car I felt there was something else missing. Nothing wrong with the car itself but personally it was a bit too quiet for my liking. Now I had a bigger and more powerful engine I wanted to be able to hear it. I didn't want anything really loud or over the top like I had before just something with a bit of tone, so I started looking around for exhaust systems. Didn't want to go messing with the CAT so decided on a CAT-back system.
Had a look at quite a few places online and different systems. In the end I decided to save the hassle of getting a system that I'd have to fit myself and may have issues with (always seems to be me!) I'd go for a custom system. In the end it was Powerflow that won it for me (fully custom stainless steel with a lifetime guarantee) and looked at local places to get it done. As I'm at uni in West London the closest place was Top Gear in Hayes. Bit dubious at first but they seem to know what they're doing and ended up doing a cracking job which I'm pretty pleased about. Like I said I wanted something subtle so went for the smallest tailpipe they had; 2 inch outrolled. Kinda liked it when I saw it.
(Apologies for the quality of the shots. I didn't have a camera with me so had to settle for my old phone)

And finally:

I absolutely love it. On idle it's not loud at all. And normal driving isn't loud either. It's only when I start putting a lot of power down especially when it's hot that you get this awesome tone that I just can't get enough of. So much better than just a back box and a nice finish too.
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Post by nigelelliott394 »

That looks really smart! Has the bumper got a little cut out to accommodate it too? Looks really neat. I never like seeing an exhaust hanging low with the back box on display to the car following you.
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Nice Car Tom :) exhaust looks very tidy from the back too

Getting a black 3 door was a very wise choice 8)
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

nigelelliott394 wrote:That looks really smart! Has the bumper got a little cut out to accommodate it too? Looks really neat. I never like seeing an exhaust hanging low with the back box on display to the car following you.
Hello mate. Yeah I was deciding what to do for a long time. Whether to go stealth and keep it hidden or not. But then decided if I'm gonna spend 300 odd quid on a system I'm going to want to show it off right?! Spoke to them at Top Gear Hayes and said I wanted it very neat and would they be able to sort the bumper for me. They assured me that they'd do a good job and to be honest I was impressed. They only cut out a very small section. I expected to be able to see more of the back box because the old standard one was tucked up quite a lot but the Powerflow back box is much smaller so it worked out very well. Credit to them, the fitter did a good job.

Yeah I agree I don't like seeing back boxes hanging low either, looks tacky and horrible.

3 doors all the way! Doesn't look right modifying a 5 door and I think it's more difficult isn't it?
Always liked the big doors on the 3 door Polos too.
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Thought I'd stick with the black theme and have a go at tinting the rear lights. Bought an additional set of lights; in case anything goes wrong I can always put the originals back on. Did the spraying myself with Savage Tinting Spray. Not 100% happy with the job but I thought I'd have a go myself and see what I can do.
Does anybody know how to remove the tint spray by the way? On the can it says it can be removed but doesn't say what with. I've tried a thinner and white spirit and that doesn't seem to work :?

Before:

After:

t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Today's addition;

Before:

During:

After:

All I need now are some Audi TT Pedals 8)
Ashcroft
Gold Member

Post by Ashcroft »

Cars looking nice!
Gotta love the black 3doors ;-)

To remove the tint spray there's an E-tech tint removal spray which you'll find on eBay mate I bought mine in a kit with the tint but can get it separate :-)

Liking the overal look of this GTI bar from the tow strap :-/

Each to there own tho dude :-)