engine reving help please

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
MTB
New

Post by MTB »

Hi all, when i put my feet down my rev counter revs up, it does it from 3/4000 rpm, it does it in 2nd/3rd/4th gear, im not sure about 5th gear its hard to tell, i though maybe my clutch was slipping, ive no problem getting into gears etc, 2nd gear is a little sticky 1st thing in the morning but it goes away with a little driving, it does still go into gear ok though, ill take the advice from everyone on here as there are no trustworthy garages nowadays, well not where i stay anyway, please help thx all.
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: engine reving help please

Post by fonzooorooo »

Which car? Hydraulic or cable clutch?
MTB
New

Post by MTB »

Oops sorry forgot to mention the car model etc, its a 1.4 tdi polo 2000 hatcback amf engine code, hydraulic clutch cheers.
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

Bear in mind I'm more into the old stuff... weber carbs and cable clutches(!)- I've never had trouble with hydraulic clutches, and no trouble means no experience!...

I suppose start by looking at the fluid - could be worth a change and see if it helps (certainly the cheapest thing to try!)

Not sure how to check the master cylinder, but I'd think there'd be a test outlined in the haynes...

after that, you should know for sure whether it's the mechanism, or the clutch itself.

Certainly does sound like clutch slip - you just need to establish whether it's wear in the clutch, or the hydraulic system giving insufficient movement to allow it to fully engage.
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

No Haynes were produced for the tdi iirc. But a test would be outlined on the net somewhere I imagine! Ask friends for a reputable garage and get them to take a look.