New headunit not working - need canbus adapter??

Discuss In Car Entertainment
mswuk
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo Gti 6n2

Post by mswuk »

Ok I have bought a Pioneer AVH8400 and went to fit it in my 2001 polo gti 6n2 and it doesn't work.I have since found out about canbus and now know I need an adapter for it to work but I don't know which one (model number,details,name,etc) or the best place to get one from.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
mswuk
Getting There!

Re: New headunit not working - need canbus adapter??

Post by mswuk »

anyone?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The Polo 6n2 does not operate a canbus system so im not sure where you got that from

All you need is the pioneer to ISO loom which will do all that you need

In what way does it not work?
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

As above no canbus should be a simple plug an play and I run pioneer and got all cables in te box. If it doesn't work at all could be something to do with how the live and switched live are wired or a dodgy earth? Can't really help unless you can tell us how it's working.
mswuk
Getting There!

Post by mswuk »

well the unit has absolutely no power.I tried another stereo and no power to that either.put in the original stereo and hey presto it works.tried both stereo's in a mates ford focus and they both work.I read on here that i would need a connects 2 adapter (also does steering wheel controls) and that solves the problem but I'm totally unsure.
never had this issue before with any other car and this is my 1st vw i've ever owned so i'm at a loss as what it could be!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

You probably need to swap the red and yellow wires over so the unit has a permanent live on the correct pin
mswuk
Getting There!

Post by mswuk »

right I changed the red and yellow wires round and now my kenwood has standby power only and won't turn on and the pioneer has no power!
seriously need help now as I'm missing my tunes so bad!!!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Check to make sure you havent got a blown fuse

I had this once in an old car of mine. It got to standby but would never turn on

Also, pictures of the loom where it plugs into the car loom would be good in helping you.
mswuk
Getting There!

Post by mswuk »

so my idea was to now find a switched live and use that to turn on the unit,run a cable to the battery for the permanent live and obviously ground for err ground!
found a blue and white striped wire in the block of wires that plug into the old stereo and tested it and found it has no power when ignition off but power when ignition on.so with this in mind I wired it up with the blue/white wire for the switched live,the original perm live and ground from the car and..............................standby power only!!

can anyone point my in the right direction to the correct wires as I'm losing patience now!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

That wire is wrong. That's the power aerial wire. Don't use it as its not rated for that much

Permanent live is the thick red and ignition live is the brown/red wire next to it on the black car ISO connector
mswuk
Getting There!

Post by mswuk »

thanks mate I'll try those later.
mswuk
Getting There!

Post by mswuk »

also if anyone can help I have an aerial adapter to fit and it has a blue wire attached.where do I attach this wire? I assume its to the blue wire from the stereo but I have no instructions for fitting it.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

The blue wire normally attaches to the blue wire coming out the radio, though it can go to blue white that you used before if the radio doesnt have one

To be fair, you dont normally need the radio adapter

The best thing you can do is this

Take a picture of the car loom, and a picture of the pioneer loom plugged into it for me. I can then tell you what your doing wrong

Also check the fuse on the back of the headunit, and the radio fuse in the car hasnt blown.
mswuk
Getting There!

Post by mswuk »

I tried the brown/red wire as switched live,the red wire as perm live and the tan wire as ground and still only standby power.I tried swapping round the red and yellow wires but its still the same.Checked the fuses and they are all fine.

There is 2 wires on the vw loom which are not used on the stereo harness - grey/white and blue/white (when checked both have power when ignition is on but none when ignition off.

Can't work out how to gets pics from iphone to computer so I haven't been able to upload onto here.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Youve definately got a problem somewhere thats for sure.

Has the thick red got a permanent 12V reading, and the brown/red a 12V reading when ignition is on?

If thats the case, you need to ensure the yellow wire is on the connection that goes to the ignition cable (normally a swap of red/yellow)

One of those wires is speed impulse, the other is power aerial - neither should be touched.

If it still doesnt work, it would imply your headunit has a fault.