alarm fitting problems

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
camone
New

alarm fitting problems

Post by camone »

ive just bought a new alarm for my mk3 polo and im having trouble wiring it up.
I need to know what wires and where to connect:

1: left indicator(so when alarm is armed it flashes indicators)
2: right indicators (same as above)
3: ignition wire that is live when ignition is on so acciedental arming cannot happen whilst driving.
4: cooling fan wire ( if fan comes on with engine off it doesnt trigger alarm)

If anyone can help with wires and wire locations or maybe somesort of diagram that would be great. my email is cam.one@virgin.net
cheers
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

ok well the easiest places to get most of the feeds you require is on the steering colom. you want to expose the ignition barel and get the cable that is live with the engine running (usually fairly substantial) then for the indicators i took feeds straight off the connector going to the indicator stalk there will be at least 3 wires : a live when the ign is on and then 2 signal wires one for the left and one for the right but on some models there is the parking light feature which means that one sidelight stays lit when you dont have the key in. the way to find out which wire you want is to follow the cables from the stalk and then they should go into a connecter, try applying +12v to each pin and see what you can get, on at least 2 pins you should be able to get the indicators to light and the wires from theese pins are the ones you want to tap into. as for the cooling fan wire i think that may be ecu controlled so look at the fan and usually there will be 2 quite thick wires runnning to it which are a permanant live and earth and then sone smaller wires (it depends on the moter as to how many you have as some fans hve 2 speeds which are controlled by inducting voltages at different places on the commutator) if its a simple on off fan then there will be one smaller wire but if its a 2 speed then there will be 2 extra wires (4 total) so if you can get the color of theese and trace them to where thay originate then youve got your feed. if its a 2 speed then you need to take a feed off each wire using a pair of diodes to prevent the fan becoming a single speed. any other wires you need help with plese feel free to ask as i fitted my own alarm with minimal help