Tom's TDI

Post pictures of your car! (Max size 30k each - 800x600)
TomG
Bronze Member

Re: Tom's TDI

Post by TomG »

Fair enough i spose, yeh high mileage was my reason for leaving petrol really..

I would say if its handling you want, skip the springs. They were bouncy and crashy on country roads, mainly the standard shocks fault.. Not too bad for looks but not as good as coils for performance. That is unless you uprate the shocks at the same time. Ive heard of some good spring/shock combos working well for some people.

Get on the rear anti roll bar tho.. worth every penny, one of my fave mods for sure. Im not running any spacers on the TT comps, but on the Montreals i had 10mm each side for the front and 20mm each side (i think??) on the back.. Im not selling them anymore, due to my recent alloy destruction ive got more spider alloys coming to try out. Theyre going to need spacers! Which tdi did you get? 12k is pretty bad!
Jordi
Getting There!

Post by Jordi »

Yeah just want something where I can put it into the bends without feeling like its going to roll over. Out of the 4 cars I've owned, this is the worse in the bends by a long way.

Re the rear anti roll bar, how do you fit it? Is it straight forward? Not to familiar with them, so no idea on fitting or cost or anything. I know you can get a front strut brace too, wonder if these are worth getting...

Yeah 12k is crap, annoyed but what can you do. They were Firestones too, so hardly budget tyres. I have a TDI 1.4 Match 70PS - 70 reffering to the bhp. Will post some pics once I have her looking good - got some plans lined up, just got to pay for some 'wear and tear' things first. Got the big cambelt and waterpump coming up at 60k (currently on 56k), plus major service, MOT and tyres like I say.

Oh and also, the standard wheels you have on in pic 1, are the same wheels as mine, don't suppose you have any pics lowered on these wheels do you? Just so I can get a peak of what it looks like lowered on standards?
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Oh dear, worst of 4 :/ poor polo lol.. The RARB is relatively simple to fit, im sure theres a couple of guides knocking about the net on briskoda or somthing. I got mine brand new for £130, pretty sure you can pick them up for about £100 used.

Ive got the front strut brace,and IMO its just not worth the money at all. No noticeable difference. People talk about tighter turn in etc and i just think they are justifying the purchase to themselves. Save your money and put it towards a better set of coilovers! The RARB is the opposite end of the scale tho. Worth every penny and a lot more for what it does to the handling.

Sorry i changed the alloys before i got it lowered so never found out what it looked like myself! Wow i bet you noticed that loss of power going from 182 to 70bhp!
Jordi
Getting There!

Post by Jordi »

Yeah I did, put my foot down and the power isn't there. Driving style has changed totally going from two totally different cars. The Clio being very fun, where as a diesel 1.4 is the opposite, boring as fcuk. As I say, the Polo never stood a chance from the word go with regards to how it handles. But I guess it's all about MPG now :(

Think my first mod will be coilovers, then go from there.

Thanks for the info! :D
Eddie9n
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie9n »

You have a really nice polo there :) I wish that my 130 was as nice as yours! Won't be long until i'm on the hunt for a bit more power though. I really like how subtle yours is, whereas i've wanted to make mine look a little different to start with. Will look forward to more updates! I don't know how you have managed to upgrade to that much power with the costs that it incurs being at uni! I struggle to do the smallest thing to mine and i'm not at uni till September. Like I said, can't wait for further updates :D
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Thanks for the kind words! :) Haha ,well i worked for a couple of years before uni and had some money saved up! That combined with my course being NHS funded has let me do a bit of messing about with the car at the same time!

It also didnt help that i caught the modding bug.. badly.. Yours is the silver one right? Tidy looking car i recall.. If only i had more choice in colour scheme :/ lol.. Have you done much to yours?

Update due in early April! :) Cheers!
Eddie9n
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie9n »

Ah okay, similar to me then as i've waited a couple of years and worked till uni. Though, I still don't have much money to spend on my car :cry:

Ha sounds a bit like you have caught the modding bug, but as a result you have a very nice car - so, worth it :) I think that with the plans that I have for mine I may have caught a bit of it as well, it's to easy to catch with the forums and the nice cars!

Yeah mine is the silver one - I quite like the colour of yours though to be honest. You don't see many that colour and silver is just a bit boring :wink: I've not done that much to it really, mainly just styling alterations at the moment. I've fitted the votex sideskirts, rear splitter and got a bluemotion splitter for the front, I think that it works quite well together. I've also changed the headlights to the gti ones and have some KW V1 inox coilovers waiting to fit - should get them on in a couple of weeks :) Once the coilovers are on I have got some bbs rws which require a refurb so I need to sort them out and get them on! Once that is done, ill be looking at a fmic, a hybrid turbo, new clutch, exhaust and remap. Hopefully should be similar power to yours. 8)
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Sounds good to me :) yeh defo caught somthing haha! I remember reading Redline a few years back when they did a feature on 1.9tdi 130 ibizas and i saw other Tom's hybrid and the numbers it was doing. From then I knew i needed my car like that lol

Those V1's will make a noticeable difference.. Im really tempted by the V3's but they are crazy money lol.. Got a RARB sorted yet?

Yeh get all the supporting mods done then get the budget turbo kit from Darkside D. and you'll be laughing!
Eddie9n
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie9n »

I would of liked to get the V3's but like you say they are sooo expensive! I think that V1's will be good though, people seem to say that they're pretty decent. Nope, no RARB yet :( they also get raved about so will definitely have to get one of them bought. I might see if one comes up on briskoda or on here :)

I'll have to get a bit saved and get my supporting mods bought and take it to darkside. How are you finding the GTB1756? I'm not sure whether to get a pd150 turbo and hybrid that or go for a larger turbo like you did. :?
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Im on the Weitecs, they say they are very similar to the V1's but not stainless, so they need more maintenance unfortunately :/ Get on the RARB train! One of the best value for money mods you can do i say!

The GTB1756 is excellent. I havent driven a hybrid 150 but all i can say is that it spools well and really pulls hard towards the redline :)
Also, considering the price of a hybrid (about £900) compared to £1500+VAT for turbo, fitting + mapping is pretty good value i say! (no i dont work for darkside lol)

The general thought ive come across recently is that hybrids have had their day.. Its more of the standard GTB turbos now.. It also means there's less stress on the turbo. I dont know about you, but ive heard of hybrids in the past eating themselves after a bit, but not the GTB's.

Either way, they both make similar figures and im sure either would put a smile on your face! Im at uni in Huddersfield (noticed you were York?) and would be happy to show you how mine drives if you were stuck on the fence and needed a nudge!lol :)
Eddie9n
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie9n »

Yeah, a RARB is definitely on the list :) I know that they're good, but didn't realise that they are that good - would of got one sorted sooner!

I think that you're right about the turbo though. I can see how a hybrid turbo has more stress and load, whereas opting for a bigger turbo and leaving it stock means that it's left as the manufacture intended. Yeah, i've heard of a few hybrids failing, so probably wont go down that route now. I'll speak to Darkside and see what they suggest once funds are sorted :/ And, you're right about the price as well, getting a turbo hybridised - the right word? is costly!

Oh cool, thanks for the offer of showing me how yours goes :) yeah, i'm in York so not too far from Huddersfield. Might just take that up, once i've got the funds available and supporting mods done. Probably wont be for a while then :cry:
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Soooooo.. Procrastinating as per with uni work! Time for an update. (Excuse the pic quality and the fact half of them dont fit!)

Been having trouble with 'head lift' ever since going baby big turbo. It doesnt seem to happen to hybrids but for some reason ive been getting it alot!

Eventually the inevitable happened - Head Gasket failure. Mid March i grannied the car up to Darkside for a large bill.

Had the head skimmed (wish i got a pic, it was stunning!) and new head gasket fitted.. Heres a pic of the bay in progress:

While the engine was in pieces Ryan told me the classically unreliable chocolate cams looked a bit "used". Decided to have the "Race Cam" fitted as a replacement seeing as it was all open. The car seems to rev more freely even at this level of tune. Should be more noticeable if i go 2260/2566 turbo in the future.

The car was away for almost a month. Had to get a bad boy as a temp! Corsa 1.0 12v.. 60bhp - new... probably about 30 when i had it lol. Cost me £300. Sold it for £360 a month later.. Not bad eh?

Chuffed to bits when i got the car back! :)

Decided it was time to update the mismatched alloys. Ive always loved the Porsche Twists on a 9n..

25mm adapters Front
20mm adapters Rear

Loved them! As you can see tho the car definitely needs more lows :/

Managed to understeer right into a kerb in the snow and shanked the front left well and truely. I was gutted!

Got them sent off for refurb and put these on in the mean time:

They look great on the Fab VRS and ibiza but im not a fan on the polo..

I had these on for a week, then a damn pothole jumped out in front of me! AGAIN!!

Talk about unlucky.

Soooo.. I decided to take a punt on these. Easily my favorite so far :)

Audi Black edition alloys. Look stunning in the flesh :)

Happy days! The car was back and running! ..... Until

The "well thought of" Southbend clutch gave out on me. Driving home one day, it became hard to change gear. Then wouldnt go into gear. Never slipped, just wouldnt disengage the clutch.

SOOOOO! Back to Darkside only a couple of weeks later:

They took the took the clutch out and it was stuffed. It lasted 20k at 330lbft when it was rated to 400lbft. WTF is that about? Needless to say i was less than impressed.

As always Ryan and Scott at DD looked after me and did me a great "we're sorry it gave out on you" price on a Sachs SRE race clutch and SMF.

I picked the car up a week later and at last, it works. I have to say this Sachs setup is superior to the Southbend. For one thing the Southbend wasnt even silent! This one is MUCH quieter. The pedal is a bit heavier but it functions perfectly.

So after spending a fortune just keeping the car on the road (modders beware) i got to driving it again.

Did a trial of my new brakes behind the wheels - its tight.

Been having difficulty fitting them as of late :/ one of the seals has gone its been a nightmare sorting it out. Nearly there!

So in the last couple of months its had the top of the engine rebuilt, new camshaft, new clutch + flywheel.

Thats all for now, I really REALLY hope nothing goes wrong now.. Im kind of out of money.. Cheers!
Mark M
New

Post by Mark M »

Great work so far mate, bit unlucky though!
Eddie9n
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie9n »

Alright Tom, how's the polo treating you? Any updates?
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Hey up! Its going well so far thanks :) hows yours? did you ever decide to sell?

Yeh the car is going back to Darkside in the near future (Feb/March) for the 2260 turbo and 80%+ injectors. As it already has the race cam it should be getting 275-280bhp and around 400lbft.

I got a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 3's in some dodgy green colour for a bargain and had them redone in matt black. They are one of few stock alloys that fit over the 323mm Brembos without spacers (lightweight too).

I was a big fan if im honest! But as usual with me.. my luck didnt last. I was cut up on a roundabout and had to bail into the centre :/ caused me to spin off into a kerb... hard.

It wrote off 3 of the 4 alloys. Only had them on for about 6 weeks. Took a tyre out with it.. i feel lucky tho, the car was totally undamaged.

Fortunately i had a set of TT comps in the garage i was going to sell (literally that weekend!). They're are one of those few alloys that fit over the Brembos.

So the car is pretty much back to how it was a while ago lol..

The only other thing apart from that is a SPA water/oil temp gauge thats being fitted next week.

Im planning a Nurburgring trip for early summer this year so want to be able to keep an eye on temps - especially if its on a bigger turbo again.

I think thats it for now.. Yay or nay on the Pro Race alloys? I fancy another set!