6N2 Engine Swap.....Help needed please!

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
benjiwill
New

6N2 Engine Swap.....Help needed please!

Post by benjiwill »

I have just bought a second 1.4 16V 100 Bhp (2000, 6N2), it matches my original car exactly, Met. Black with red sports interior. Engine and gearbox codes are also identical. The new car has a hole in the block and was bought to swap over the better parts onto my original car, and to enable me to refurb my wheels and gearbox without having my car off the road. Now that I have had a good look over the car and its history I've decided its just too good to break up. So I'm looking for an AFK block but cant find one at the right money for the condition. My question is if I get another 100 16V engine with a different code( AFH, AQQ or AUB) will my ETB coded gearbox fit?, and what if anything else will have to be changed?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: 6N2 Engine Swap.....Help needed please!

Post by alexperkins »

The gearbox is still suited to the 100bhp version so it'll be fine

All the gearboxes use the same casing and mount points.
benjiwill
New

Post by benjiwill »

Alex, Sorry missed your prompt response.
So you feel the box will be fine, so that's great, but will the different code engine work without changing the ecu etc. We have found a low mileage AUB engine from a Skoda, that is a 16v 100 bhp unit, is it as simple as bolting all the bits on from our AFK engine and putting the gearbox on and away we go? Or will we have to get other things from the Skoda??
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Should be that simple. Remember to get he ECU also as it's paired to the engine
benjiwill
New

Post by benjiwill »

Great Stuff thanks.
benjiwill
New

Post by benjiwill »

Well as the swap is now complete, I thought I'd update the story for anyone wanting to replace an engine with a different code. First of all 'YES IT CAN BE DONE'. We were unable to find a suitable AFK replacement, but noted that there were plenty of AUB codes for sale.(mostly from Skoda's). Following advice on this forum and others, we decided to try and get a definitive answer so called VW head office and asked if the engines could be swaped, they replied NO. When pushed, they could not (or would not) give a reason. They suggested contacting a local dealer. After a poor response from one I tried a second, (VW in Harrogate) and spoke to a master Tech. who was really helpful and after doing some investigating rang back to say that he could not find anything major between the two codes that could not be sorted and he felt that it was worth a go. He also agreed with us that there was no need to change the ECU, as we were going to use all our ancillaries from our broken engine and keep the full engine loom in place in the car. We sourced a used AUB engine from a Lupo and set about removing the old AFK unit. This is the first engine we had removed so took it slowly and methodically taking off the wiring loom and water pipes first, followed by unbolting the drive shafts, gearbox linkage, and lower engine stabilizer bar underneath the car. Finally we undid the top engine mounts and the engine complete with gearbox was hoisted out (no need to remove the front panel as per most instructions we read). We split the gearbox off and sent it to be overhauled, and removed all ancillaries to fit them to the replacement engine. There were three changes to be made to the AUB engine, firstly its EGR sensor was removed, and blanking plates from the AFK engine put on. Secondly the throttle body was swapped to accommodate the AFK's accelerator cable. Finally the mount for the Alternator, Power Steering and Air Con pumps was swapped so that the original parts could be used. The AUB does not have an Air con pump, and its power steering pump had different fittings for the fluid pipes. We reused the V belt from the AFK engine as was larger to run the extra pump. The gearbox was refitted with a new Clutch(same for both engines). The engine was given a service, new plugs, oil and filters including a fuel filter (timing belt looked new so not replaced) We then refitted it in the car, with just the Air con pump to be attached as it had been left in the engine bay. It was a fairly straight forward process. Coolant, and power steering fluid refilled, we were ready to fire her up. She fired instantly and ran smoothly without any hesitation and NO WARNING LIGHTS ON THE DASH. PERFECT. We had a little issue with the gearbox selectors and it took a little while to adjust them so all gears could be found smoothly.
We can now say with no hesitation that engine code swaps are possible without the need to change wiring looms, immobilizers or Ecu's. Just as they say these days, P'lug and Play'.