Fuel consumption with bigger wheels

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

I've recently put 17x8.25 wheels on my polo and I've noticed that the fuel display is telling me that I'm only getting 400 miles to a tank. On the standard 15s I would get around the 500 mark. I didn't think it would change this much... plus the wheels are considerably lighter.

It's going in for a service this week so I think I'll ask them to check - or is this normal?
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Re: Fuel consumption with bigger wheels

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

Match wrote:I've recently put 17x8.25 wheels on my polo and I've noticed that the fuel display is telling me that I'm only getting 400 miles to a tank. On the standard 15s I would get around the 500 mark. I didn't think it would change this much... plus the wheels are considerably lighter.

It's going in for a service this week so I think I'll ask them to check - or is this normal?
Are you sure that wheels that size plus tires are lighter than 15" rims and tires? I'm not... :)

But it also comes down to width, thread on the road and so forth. Wheels and breaks are the worst places to add weight on a car. You will see it straight away in the consumption.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Is the tyre size comparative? The speedo may be out a little.
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

What engine is it? 400 miles from a tank doesn't sound unreasonable as that roughly equates to 40mpg.
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

Mart!n-GTI-DK wrote:
Match wrote:I've recently put 17x8.25 wheels on my polo and I've noticed that the fuel display is telling me that I'm only getting 400 miles to a tank. On the standard 15s I would get around the 500 mark. I didn't think it would change this much... plus the wheels are considerably lighter.

Are you sure that wheels that size plus tires are lighter than 15" rims and tires? I'm not... :)

But it also comes down to width, thread on the road and so forth. Wheels and breaks are the worst places to add weight on a car. You will see it straight away in the consumption.
Possibly made a mistake with the weight. I didn't pick them up with tyres on, without they were much lighter though. Thanks for the info.
alexperkins wrote:Is the tyre size comparative? The speedo may be out a little.

165/55/15 compared to 205/40/17
ubiquitous-j wrote:What engine is it? 400 miles from a tank doesn't sound unreasonable as that roughly equates to 40mpg.
1.2 TDi. Usually gets closer to 500.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

The width of the tyre makes a significant impact- larger contact patches are good for handling, not so good for drag (both aerodynamic and friction losses with the road). That's why eco versions of cars often have quite skinny tyres. When the Golf was available with optional Bluemotion Technologies in the Mk.6, they wouldn't let you spec the 'optional' alloys as that would have negatively effect the fuel consumption if you went for a BMT engine.

Also, larger diameter wheel/tyre combos effectively increase the gearing, and increase the speed vs what the car thinks is happening. If your speedo was bang on perfect before, it might now be reading slightly slow (and likewise for the mileage and MPG). The engine has to work harder to accelerate due to the higher effective gearing, which negatively effects MPG, and the aerodynamic drag when cruising at a set speed (according to the speedo) will now be higher, as the speedo is reading slower. When you're driving, the car knows it's used, say 1 gallon of diesel, and thinks it's gone 40 miles, but actually, due to the larger diameter wheels, it's gone 50 miles, due to the speedo being out of calibration. Obviously this is an exaggeration, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the effects are purely due to the speedo being out of calibration.
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

vc-10 wrote:The width of the tyre makes a significant impact- larger contact patches are good for handling, not so good for drag (both aerodynamic and friction losses with the road). That's why eco versions of cars often have quite skinny tyres. When the Golf was available with optional Bluemotion Technologies in the Mk.6, they wouldn't let you spec the 'optional' alloys as that would have negatively effect the fuel consumption if you went for a BMT engine.

Also, larger diameter wheel/tyre combos effectively increase the gearing, and increase the speed vs what the car thinks is happening. If your speedo was bang on perfect before, it might now be reading slightly slow (and likewise for the mileage and MPG). The engine has to work harder to accelerate due to the higher effective gearing, which negatively effects MPG, and the aerodynamic drag when cruising at a set speed (according to the speedo) will now be higher, as the speedo is reading slower. When you're driving, the car knows it's used, say 1 gallon of diesel, and thinks it's gone 40 miles, but actually, due to the larger diameter wheels, it's gone 50 miles, due to the speedo being out of calibration. Obviously this is an exaggeration, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the effects are purely due to the speedo being out of calibration.
Very informative, thanks. I will be sure to slow down a bit extra for speed cameras then!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

At 30 on the original wheels, youll be doing almost 32 mph now

At 70 on the original wheels, youll be doing almost 75 mph now

For reference :)

205/35/17 would be better for matching the speedo to the original wheels.