Polo GTI 1.4 TSI ('11 Plate) Rattles when Turbo Kicks in

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
joshrose54
New

Polo GTI 1.4 TSI ('11 Plate) Rattles when Turbo Kicks in

Post by joshrose54 »

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum so if this question has been addressed then I apologise in advance; Having said that I have been searching the web for the last few days and not found anything relating to my issue.

Basically, the car is absolutely fine as far as I can tell and I am not having the dreaded oil consumption issues - However, when the car reaches around 2,700 - 3k rev range and the turbocharger kicks in (In both D & S Mode) I can hear a very loud rattling that would seem to be coming from the dashboard, but right at the back near where the windscreen meets.

From my research I have found that it could be AC Lines, Fuel Lines, sound actuator rattling and vibrating but it seems odd that if that was the issue, it would only create the noise when the turbocharger kicks in and not at any other point, regardless of how fast I am going and the terrain I am driving on.

If I were to just be driving fast and not stamp down on the pedal I do not get the same rattling, only when the turbo is active.

From there I decided to have a look at any recalls or bulletins from VW and I noticed many people complaining about the wastegate actuator rod vibrating and I figured that this could be the actual issue.

VW seem to have released a clip to steady the rod and I thought this could be applied to mine, however I can't find info on whether the clip will fit a Polo GTI.

When I called VW UK and gave them the part number for the clip which supposedly rectifies the issue, one tech told me they don't fit Polo turbos and the other told me the Polo GTI turbocharger is completely self-contained and does not have a rod...or at least any access to it.

Is this true or have the techies got it wrong and I should just buy a clip and get it fitted by a local mechanic.

This is is the clip I am referring to:

Hopefully I haven't been too confusing and someone else has had/rectified this problem!

Cheers!
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Re: Polo GTI 1.4 TSI ('11 Plate) Rattles when Turbo Kicks in

Post by hornmeister »

simple way to see if it's the actuator is to disconnect it. There's a thread somewhere with instructions.

Can't do a link for some reason but if you search for the thread titled "Sound actuator on 6R GTI" you'll find it.
joshrose54
New

Post by joshrose54 »

hornmeister wrote:simple way to see if it's the actuator is to disconnect it. There's a thread somewhere with instructions.

Can't do a link for some reason but if you search for the thread titled "Sound actuator on 6R GTI" you'll find it.
I have tried that and it was not the issue. Happens when the wastegate starts to operate at around 3000rpm, I'm sure it must be an issue with it.

I just don't know if I can buy the clip or whether the turbocharger unit is a self-contained piece of kit.
Steve9413
Getting There!
Drives: Polo BlueGT

Post by Steve9413 »

I Know on the Audi A3 (8V) TFSI engines there was a recall brought out for a clip to be placed at the back of the engine because they were left out at the factory. this cause a rattle when the turbo kicks in.
Sharna14
New
Drives: Polo 6R GTI

Post by Sharna14 »

i have the same problem on my 2010 polo, did you figure anything out to stop this?
nVIR
New

Post by nVIR »

I had a turbo rattle on my 1.2 tsi, left it into the dealer and they told me VW have written guidance on it, it apparently can't cause anything to fail so they won't fix it, it's within the fault tolerance for the turbo