OK daytime running lights now

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
zebraman
Getting There!

OK daytime running lights now

Post by zebraman »

I checked and both headlights and tail lights are on.

So effectively all that you are doing by turning on the lights at night, is turning on the instrument lights. Meaning it's easy to forget, meaning you drive at night with no panel illumination....

Which l always thought was against the law! But l wonder how many people do it with just the DRL's on at night.

Before that it was impossible to turn off the panel lights without turning off the headlights/sidelights.
lxm
Bronze Member

Re: OK daytime running lights now

Post by lxm »

What annoys me with Volkswagen is the inconsistency of there lights in certain models.

09-14 polo 6R's DRL's = front dipped beam, tail lights & number plate

09-14 vw tiguan DRL = front dipped beam, tail lights & number plate
whilst others = front dipped beam only

vw golf DRL = front dipped beam, tail lights & number plate
whilst others = front dipped beam only

the same for passats.

Get consistent please VW
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

It didn't make sense to me either on my MY13 GTI

Default as delivered:
Light switch off - sidelights & Main lights on
Light switch in position 1 (Sidelights) - Sidelights on only, instruments lit.
Light Switch position 2 - All lights on Instruments lit.

I followed the good advice on here and disabled the main lights in DRL position by insulating the correct pin on the switch.

So now I have:

Light switch off - Sidelights on as DRL
Ligth Switch Position 1 - Sidelights on and instruments lit.
Light Switch Position 2 - Sidelights & mainlights on and instruments lit.

Far more sensible.

It smacks to me of a bodge to make cars road legal in the UK for the regulation change without having to spend any time & money redesigning software/hardware taking into account the model revision due 18 months down the line.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

zebraman wrote: So effectively all that you are doing by turning on the lights at night, is turning on the instrument lights. Meaning it's easy to forget, meaning you drive at night with no panel illumination....
Honestly, I've never understood this argument. With no panel lights, you can't see speed/amount of fuel/heater controls/radio buttons. Basically everything you ever look at or touch in a car. If people can drive around for more than 20 metres without noticing any of this in the middle of the night without noticing, they genuinely shouldn't be driving a car...
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The dynamic cluster lighting dims the instrument cluster to almost black at night if the lights arent switched on, so you would be hard pushed not to notice.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

hornmeister wrote:It didn't make sense to me either on my MY13 GTI

Default as delivered:

I followed the good advice on here and disabled the main lights in DRL position by insulating the correct pin on the switch.

So now I have:

Far more sensible.

It smacks to me of a bodge to make cars road legal in the UK for the regulation change without having to spend any time & money redesigning software/hardware taking into account the model revision due 18 months down the line.

Can you link me a guide mate ? any way to disable the tails & numberplate.
zebraman
Getting There!

Post by zebraman »

blazeguarder wrote:
zebraman wrote: So effectively all that you are doing by turning on the lights at night, is turning on the instrument lights. Meaning it's easy to forget, meaning you drive at night with no panel illumination....
Honestly, I've never understood this argument. With no panel lights, you can't see speed/amount of fuel/heater controls/radio buttons. Basically everything you ever look at or touch in a car. If people can drive around for more than 20 metres without noticing any of this in the middle of the night without noticing, they genuinely shouldn't be driving a car...
I agree with you.

But l regularly see people driving at night with no lights on at all. So having DRL's is in one way a good thing for these people.
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

lxm wrote:
hornmeister wrote:It didn't make sense to me either on my MY13 GTI

Default as delivered:

So now I have:

Far more sensible.

Can you link me a guide mate ? any way to disable the tails & numberplate.
Can't. Do links for some reason but do a search for "disabling drl" 3rd thread down. I just used electrical tape to insulate the pin of the light switch. 5min job.
PogoCT
Getting There!

Post by PogoCT »

Well in SA we don't have DRL - so when we turn on the car the onyl thing that lights up is the Dash - taht's it.

Now if we want to put on our parks and taillights and rear number plate lights we have to turn the light switch to the right once, then again to activate the low headlights and then pull out for the fogs and then again for the rear fogs, so on a dark foggy night or day all you hear are 4 clicks :lol: ... we don't get no auto lights on/off crap.
dl27
New

Post by dl27 »

PogoCT - we can have the same functionality by enabling "Nordic" setting - this keeps the parking lights, rear lights and number plate lights on even if the light switch is in OFF position. You will need VCDS to enable this setting.

Tested on SA 1.4 comfortline.
memnon30
New

Post by memnon30 »

Thing is DLR arent a legal requirement in UK any way at the moment. The DLR on my sons new Polo are just normal headlamps with no fixed main beam or dash lights. Whats the point ?