First Car - New Polo - Thoughts

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SeanVTM
New

Post by SeanVTM »

First post so thanks in advance if anyone takes the time to read this and lets me know what they think.

I'm in the position of somehow making it to 30 years old without having owned a car - I had other things on my mind when I was 17 and since then have always been within walking distance of work / lived in built up cities etc.

I still don't need one for a commute, but my financial situation is better than it was in my 20s and as me, my friends and my family are spreading out across the country the idea of getting a car has become more appealing. I'd mainly be using it for weekend driving between Leeds and Manchester and the odd trip down South.

I always liked the Golf growing up but have decided a Polo is probably a better suit right now. I'd originally been looking at a new SE, but the longer I've had to think about it the more the BlueGT has turned my head.

I guess the question is: given my slightly odd position of being able to buy a new car having not owned one all this time, would the BlueGT be wasted on me when an SE would be just as good a first car (and potentially mean I'm more likely to end up driving it through a hedge or worse), or should I just treat myself (the price difference isn't a huge issue) and go with the BlueGT which seems to be a massively popular car with everyone who owns it on here?

Third option I'm foreseeing is everyone telling me not to buy something new in case I wreck the thing.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, hopefully someone can let me know what they think. Cheers in advance!
CrypticG
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2 TSI SEL (6C)

Post by CrypticG »

If I was you matey, I would go for a new BlueGT. You won't regret it and it's nice to treat yourself..! It's such a nice car and the ride quality of the new Polo is very good for a hatchback.. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nry
Bronze Member

Re: First Car - New Polo - Thoughts

Post by nry »

I debated the R-Line 1.2 TSi before going for the BlueGT, but both end up with similar economy and the BlueGT performance is nicer plus I think better car tax as the BlueGT is only £20 per year :) Check insurance first, as a first car even at 30 may or may not be high, I'm unsure :)
zebraman
Getting There!

Post by zebraman »

If you just want a good city car, the standard 1.2 is a great choice.

The three cylinder engine is full of character, and is great fun to drive. It does not feel lacking. And my other car is a BMW Z3 3.0. Before that l had a Lotus Elise, a Ferrari Mondial, and a Porsche 928 S4 in that order. So l am used to "performance" cars.
Plus it is £3,000 less than the TSi
Try one before you dismiss it for the higher power version.

Then make your choice.
SeanVTM
New

Post by SeanVTM »

Thanks guys. Good advice all round - I guess a test drive is going to answer a lot of questions.

CrypticG - I felt myself agreeing with your answer - can definitely tell what my heart is saying haha. It does look like a brilliant car.
CrypticG
Silver Member

Post by CrypticG »

Yeah exactly, you won't regret it - like the other guys said though, the SE and SE Design are very good models and will do the job your after, but like I said if your budget can stretch to a BlueGT then why not, and they do hold there value well compared to other cars in the same class; Fiesta, Clio, Corsa etc.

Is it a 6R or a 6C your thinking of ordering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zebraman
Getting There!

Post by zebraman »

Don't discount the standard 1.2 version either, at least until you have driven one.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Is that the old 1.2 3-pot that's been around since the beginning of the 9n, or the new 1.2 TSI zebraman? Because the equivalent is now a 1.0 3-cyl, that's previously been in the Up. I do rather like the old 1.2 3-cyl engine though, although when I've got 4 other 6'3+ rowers in the car with me, it can be a bit gutless trying to merge onto the motorway!

TBH though- I'd recommend test driving them. Also, it may be worth adding the Adaptive Cruise Control- it includes an autonomous braking system, which may help with the insurance costs. I seem to remember reading an article about how it could save around £200 a year on insurance if you're young or inexperienced which as the price is £500, could pay itself back over the time you have the car.
CrypticG
Silver Member

Post by CrypticG »

that might be a fair shout on the ACC bringing insurance down. I am 22, been driving for just under 5 years and have 4 years ncb, and I am going from an 82PS Ford Fiesta Zetec which was £923 a year to insure with a £500 excess, to a new 110PS Polo with ACC added as an extra and have been quoted £450 for the same level of cover and a £300 excess.. Makes you wonder :roll:
zebraman
Getting There!

Post by zebraman »

I was talking about the 1.2 60hp three cylinder engine.

Only because l discounted it myself, until l test drove one, and was amazed at how good it is.
I have not driven the new version with the 1.0 litre engine, ours is a 2012.
nVIR
New

Post by nVIR »

The 1.2 TSI 105BHP I have in my R Line is so sharp, and it feels very fast - it also returns 52-57mpg on a good run!
SeanVTM
New

Post by SeanVTM »

It would be the 6C I'm looking at. If I went for the SE I'd probably go up to the 1.2 engine anyway, which is why it didn't feel like too big of a jump to go up to the BlueGT.

Lots of food for thought anyway.
zebraman
Getting There!

Post by zebraman »

My only thought was,

The 1.2 might be all the car you need, and it's £3,000 cheaper than the GT or TSi.
Joe9n3
Bronze Member

Post by Joe9n3 »

just get a GTI
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

The GTI isn't currently available new. :wink: