1.0 to 1.4 16v engine swap...

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
The_Nasman
New
Drives: 6n2

1.0 to 1.4 16v engine swap...

Post by The_Nasman »

hey guys, i drive a 1.0 and its been giving me a headache, i found out that i have oil in my piston rings which means i would either have to pay a mechanic to do a rebuild which is very expensive, or buy another engine and do an engine swap, which would work out a hell of alot cheaper. because im on a lowish budget i think it makes sense just to get another engine, but if im gonna go through the proccess of an engine swap, i might aswell upgrade to a 1.4 just to have a little more power.

obviously it would be more simple just to buy a 1.4, but i simply cannot afford the insurance, and also feel kind of attached to my polo, so i was just thinking of doing the engine swap and still having it registered as a 1.0, but where would i run into problems if i did that? i would imagine it would affect tax/mot?

and if i was to do the swap, what would i exactly need? except the engine and the ECU
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: 1.0 to 1.4 16v engine swap...

Post by alexperkins »

If you changed the engine to a 1.4 and didn't declare it, your tax, MOT and insurance are completely VOID. It would be incredibly foolish to do something like this as you are putting not only yourself but other road users at risk should anyrhing happen.