I've just a bought a MkIV 6N with a couple of issues;

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
mbusby993
New
Drives: Mark IV Polo 6N

I've just a bought a MkIV 6N with a couple of issues;

Post by mbusby993 »

On Sunday I bought a '99 Mk4 6N (1.4) with a couple of small issues. It's my first car so I'm still a bit of a newbie with it all. I was just wondering if anyone had any good advice about the couple of issues I have.

The driver's side door does not lock from the outside, I've looked this up and I'm 90% sure what it is, I've ordered a repair kit and will be attempting to fix it on the weekend. When I bought the car he told me the central locking doesn't work and he'd disconnected the central locking pump. I've since reconnected it and it seems to be working for the moment. The passenger side electric window is faulty. The mechanism appears to still work but it makes a grinding noise and the window won't move either way. Has the window slipped and would that be something I can fix without replacing anything? There's a bit of rust on the rear wheel arches that I intend to try and treat at some point.

Finally there's a small oil leak from what seems to be one of the hoses down at the very front (bottom) of the engine bay.

Other than that she seems to run fairly well!

Advisories on the last MOT included a small hole in the nearside of the floorpan, light misting on the rear nearside shock absorber, and the front nearside tyre is near the limit. I'm booking it in for the tyres as soon as I can, it's not being driven daily at the moment as I'm still on a provisional!
mbusby993
New

Re: I've just a bought a MkIV 6N with a couple of issues;

Post by mbusby993 »

In regards to the passenger side window, the motor seems to still be making noise, but the window itself doesn't move. The whole thing instead just makes what I can only describe as a grinding noise. Any ideas as to what's happened?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Welcome

The door will be a broken paddle on the lock - easily fixed

The window will probably be a snapped regulator cable. It'll likely news replacing in full including the motor to resolve it

The leak could be a coolant hose - what colour is the fluid?
mbusby993
New

Post by mbusby993 »

Hi,

I've sorted the majority of these now. My knowledge has expanded in the last few weeks.
The door lock paddle is fixed, the oil leak was due to an improperly attached oil filter, the window regulator cables have snapped but a repair kit is on the way. The motor still seems to be working.
I've also fitted a new number plate, nearside wing mirror glass, given it a good clean and polish, sourced a parcel shelf and many other things.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Happy days :) Glad to hear you are making progress
mbusby993
New

Post by mbusby993 »

I'm glad to be making progress! It's nice learning to do it all myself, starting from the bottom really as it's my first car. :)