This any good?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

This any good?

Post by Mayhem »

Looking in to vag com leads and theres a massive difference on price. Dont fancy paying the earth just for a few tweeks. Is the following going to do the job or do i really need to be paying out the £300 + for one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VAG-12-12-0-Sup ... TGKH26PGPP
auds2
New
Drives: Golf Mk4

This any good?

Post by auds2 »

I would go for the genuine rosstech one buddy. IMO it's worth the money and software updates are free. They are on version 14.10 now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamesbluegt
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6r bluegt

This any good?

Post by Jamesbluegt »

I would also be interested in this

Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Re: This any good?

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

I have one. And it works perfectly. (Does not work with the faceliftet 6C model. Only VW models up to 6R)

BUT!!!!! And this is very important. DO NOT!!!!! Try to update the program once installed. It will not work if you try to do it. And will not work even if you try to reinstall it.
So just close the "VCDS is out of date" window that pops up when you launch the program and you will be just fine. :)
Mayhem
Silver Member

Post by Mayhem »

Is there any major differences on the updated software? only want to do a few tweeks and the price of the Rosstech one is pretty steep if theres no actual benefits to it
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

Mayhem wrote:Is there any major differences on the updated software? only want to do a few tweeks and the price of the Rosstech one is pretty steep if theres no actual benefits to it
It is a direct copy of the original Ross Tech cable. So it will try to update from the Ross Tech server. But since it is not original it can't and it will disable the program and cable.

But it works perfectly to do some tweeks as you say and search for error codes etc.
Mayhem
Silver Member

Post by Mayhem »

Has any one got a list of what can be doing using this cable for a 1.2 tsi or recommended modifications?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I've never known any proper car forums to condone the use of Chinese rip-off copy stuff, so I'd doubt if any proper moderators that viewed this thread would support the use of any cheap copies of RossTech stuff.

I was the owner/user of the original version of VAG-COM tool and got a redemption allowance when changing to the later VCDS tool, I only ever use it for fault finding etc, but I find it worthwhile to have it instead of needing to use a dealership.
saty
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6r 1.6tdi

Post by saty »

Mayhem wrote:Has any one got a list of what can be doing using this cable for a 1.2 tsi or recommended modifications?
This thread looks pretty good, its got XDS, steering weight and instrument staging instructions:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ ... 641-7.html

Did you buy the cable?
Mayhem
Silver Member

Post by Mayhem »

Not yet wanted to see what its capable of doing first. Tbh at £30 its probably worth getting just to try. I understand people not agreeing with buying it and preferring the Rosstech but at over £300 to just turn off a fault code or make a couple of adjustments once or twice its just not worth that amount of investment for me. I will probably turn on a few functions then never use it again :roll:
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

RUM4MO wrote:I've never known any proper car forums to condone the use of Chinese rip-off copy stuff, so I'd doubt if any proper moderators that viewed this thread would support the use of any cheap copies of RossTech stuff.
Did I really just read that??? This site isn't a dictatorship... We are free to talk about and buy what ever we want...

Sorry if this upsets anybody. But that was some of the most pretentious I have ever read in here... :roll: :shock:
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

Mart!n-GTI-DK wrote:
RUM4MO wrote:I've never known any proper car forums to condone the use of Chinese rip-off copy stuff, so I'd doubt if any proper moderators that viewed this thread would support the use of any cheap copies of RossTech stuff.
Did I really just read that??? This site isn't a dictatorship... We are free to talk about and buy what ever we want...

Sorry if this upsets anybody. But that was some of the most pretentious I have ever read in here... :roll: :shock:
To be fair, intellectual and copyright theft is taken pretty seriously over here.

It's not pretension, it's the law.

Would you feel the same I wonder if it was your business that had spent years of time, not to mention a lot of cash, to develop something that has saved ordinary owners just like me millions of pounds collectively in dealership fees?

It's a great product, and worthy of your money. I look at like a good set of sockets and spinners, not cheap, but does the job superbly.

I've frequented a lot of forums over the years, and this is the first I've been a member of where this sort of post isn't jumped on.

I'm not a dictator either by the way, but just putting an alternative point of view.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

Okay... My bad then.

here in Denmark it's not looked bad upon to get a chine VCDS cable.
Jamesbluegt
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6r bluegt

This any good?

Post by Jamesbluegt »

Its better to be talked about than just deleated tho no? There's a reason why it's so cheap compared to original and if it's exactly the same then surely original makers can sue as long as it's patented if not it's there fault and if there not sueing it's also there fault for not noticing/giving a crap

Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

I've got no problem talking about it.

The 3rd party cables are a bit of a red herring.

They're not 'illegal', it's the software that is licensed.

I got my first copy of VAG-COM over 10 years ago before it became VCDS and used a third party 'chinese' cable, but I paid $100 for a licence for the software.

The newer Ross Tech cables also contain a license for the software, and you get technical support which you don't get with a 'dumb' interface, and unlock the full VCDS software. You can still use VCDS lite with a third party cable if you can find one that works for fault diagnosis etc, and it won't cost you anything.

The excuse that people use where they only need it for a few mods or coding activations is just that, an excuse, there are plenty of people on the forums who will do this for you for beer money.

Hacking or cracking the VCDS software via a copy cable and without paying VCDS a licence fee is theft, no argument.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on it, sorry if anybody thinks it's patronising.