Battery Terminal Covers

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Battery Terminal Covers

Post by RUM4MO »

Is it just me, but I would have expected that VW would have provided an insulated cover for the +ve terminal on the battery on wife's new Polo 1.2TSI 110 SEL - the -ve terminal is covered, but that will be for other issues with how the battery is connected to the car. By the way, I did check that these cars are still -ve earth systems! Maybe South Africa was not supplied with parts.
RUM4MO

Re: BATTERY TERMINAL COVERS

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that I can answer my own question:- parts listing only shows one terminal cover cap, and that is for the earthed side, ie -ve. I'll need to see if that cover cap is "handed" or if not can it also fit the +ve terminal. (P/N 6R0 971 813 9B9).
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Cover for the negative terminal is 8K0 915 429 according to ETKA, number 4 on the image.
(no addition, ... 429C is the cover for the positive terminal during storage, number 5 on the image)

RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I was using the on-line "partscats" website for these numbers, are you sure that that is the "stop/start" option battery list of parts that you have shown - I know it does not matter where the parts come from, but I was only checking the battery for "my" car - which did tie in with what is fitted.

The fact that the +ve cover is for storage use only ties in with what is happening as that storage cover, would, in the past, be dumped/returned when the battery gets fitted to the car and gets its battery associated fuse/terminal block/cover fitted.

Edit:- the "stop/start" cars +ve terminal just gets two heavy leads fitted to it so does not benefit from the fuses etc box covering it.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

iichel, thanks for what you posted, that prompted me to find out why your were quoting a different p/n, using the power of ebay, I discovered that "8K0" is an Audi platform and the form of the part number is different, which is a bit confusing as VAG are very disciplined when it comes to how they form the number for a part. Any way, I thought that I'd look up the Audi section of "partscat" and using Audi A1 as the area to search in, I have found that part, ie 8K0 915 429C - so, that means a trip to my local Audi dealer to get them to order in one is on the cards!
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Just my curiosity but why do you want one?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Well, that terminal to sitting up at roughly +12Volts with respect to the metal work of the car, including the engine, now if for some silly reason, something that conducts ends up touching that terminal and some adjacent metalwork, then there will be a bit of crack etc. Generally speaking, these terminals should be covered, it is good practise to do that, always has been. If you don't believe me, take a quick look at where the large lead connects to the alternator, it will be covered with a black push-on cover - it just makes sense that is all.
RUM4MO

Re: Battery Terminal Covers

Post by RUM4MO »

I have ordered in a cover for the +ve terminal, I also tried to order in the one already fitted to the -ve terminal (in case the 8K0 part did not fit for any reason), but that part, 6R0, is on back order so I did not bother with that for now.
deltalimamike
Getting There!
Drives: GT TSI

Post by deltalimamike »

I think this really makes sense, that terminal should be covered IMO.
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

A somewhat condescending reply RUM4MO, I was merely attempting to discover whether you had a motivation beyond the obvious.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Ricmondo wrote:A somewhat condescending reply RUM4MO, I was merely attempting to discover whether you had a motivation beyond the obvious.
I don't think that I was condescending when I replied, the question was asked, I don't now you what your technical knowledge is, so as it looked like you did not understand why this could be an issue, I tried to explain it clearly - this is what can happen when you ask a question on a forum, we should be here to help each other! The obvious was the motivation I think.
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

Okay accepted that there was no intent.

The reason that battery terminal covers are not fitted to positive terminals is that type approval regulations oppose such fitment. Emergency services are instructed to isolate batteries by removal of positive connection, that removal may be hampered by a distorted or partially melted cover. The positive is recommended as an earth circuit may be maintained by distorted bodywork, bracketry etc. Where the positive terminal is considered to be too close to bodywork there is a requirement to fit insulating padding to the body. The regulations apply to all vehicles manufactured or sold within the EU since 2013 unless a specific exemption has been granted.

Nothing to stop you fitting a cover if you can get one although there is a remote possibility that your insurance company might use it as a get out should the Polo ignite and Fireman Sam be unable to loosen your nuts.

I find that strategically placed PVC insulating tape gives me peace of mind.
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

On a number of cars I have rebuilt or modified I have used Plasticoat from Frost Automotive Products to insulate terminals and suchlike, brush, dip or spray it is easy to apply and forms a lasting acid resistant insulating barrier, like M&S underpants it also comes in a selection of nice colors.

Worth considering if you want a cover but can't get one. Don't coat the nut of bolt heads or the inside of the clamp though!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I have a cover on order so I'll report back on its suitability.

The thing is, and I do not doubt your logic, look under the bonnet of any pre stop/start VAG product, and maybe others and you will see that the area on top of the battery is covered in an assortment of auxiliary fuses that are mainly enclosed/protected. This car that I am talking about has black insulation over the heavy leads as they leave the terminal - and that is not for support or strength, when I took that into account I ended up considering that VAG had made a mistake, and I am certainly quite happy to add bits to my car to prevent any silly little accidents like a high side of the battery getting connected to the car metalwork.

I'd think that Sam would come prepared with nasty big cable cutters, no messing about with "what size is that nut?"

On the other hand, maybe it quite refreshing to actually be able to see the batteries again after years of them being covered up with distribution busbars and fuses - or hiding in the boot as in the case of my S4!
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

Not my logic it's a matter of legislative fact, do I think it makes sense, that's quite another matter! Don't even think about an electric Golf, the stuff of nightmares perhaps.

Just as an afterthought, in the days of simple cars where there were no electronics to sulk if you disconnected the battery I used to fit a little gizmo that consisted of a thumb screw on top of a plastic cap that shielded each terminal. Turning the thumb screw disconnected the power. For a time they were accepted by scrutineers until the motor sport governors insisted upon a more heavy duty circuit breaker with a removable key. It amused me when a friend fitted and regularly used a pair to augment his alarm to keep his Marina safe. He used to boast that his precautions meant his alarm was never triggered! You may think that being a Marina meant that no thief would look at it but it had some very wide Minilite wheels and a very tasty motor from a Ford GT40. I used to lust after that sort of thing but we OAPs are supposed to have more sensible things on our minds (some hopes!).