Shifter Bushings Upgrade (Great £30 upgrade)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
rsmagee
Silver Member
Drives: BlueGT (6C)

Shifter Bushings Upgrade (Great £30 upgrade)

Post by rsmagee »

Hi Guys,

Just fitted a set of bass bushings to my BlueGT and it feels great! AwesomeGTI helped me choose the correct kit (turns out to be the same as a mkV Golf 5 speed!) http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk ... 5s-my06-07

Had this upgrade on my old GTI and both times its made the gear change feel much smoother. It took all of 10 mins to do ( I have done it before!)

Photos of the old and new below

Before

After

DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT

Re: Shifter Bushings Upgrade (Great £30 upgrade)

Post by DKPOLOGT »

Super nice.

Can you tell a bit more how the feel is, and where its superior to the oem bushings?

/ *L*
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

So basically the rubber OEM bushings have a little bit of give to them. This leads to the slight feeling of resistance when you engage a gear and the slightly floaty feeling of the gear engagement.
The brass bushings have no give whatsoever, leading to a far more 'connected' feel.

I like to think of it like having a direct connection to the gear selector arm, rather than being attached by rubber bands.

The one disadvantage, and reason they are rubber out of the factory, is if you crunch the gears, the brass bushings are going to be less forgiving on the box.
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member

Post by DKPOLOGT »

Okay, what about slack in the gearshift that eventually Will come. ?

/ *L*
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

The one disadvantage, and reason they are rubber out of the factory, is if you crunch the gears, the brass bushings are going to be less forgiving on the box.

Perhaps I'm being thick but I do not understand why you think something outside the gear box will affect the internal outcome of hamfistedness. I'm not suggesting you are wrong but an insight into your reasoning would perhaps help me understand.
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

Ricmondo wrote:The one disadvantage, and reason they are rubber out of the factory, is if you crunch the gears, the brass bushings are going to be less forgiving on the box.

Perhaps I'm being thick but I do not understand why you think something outside the gear box will affect the internal outcome of hamfistedness. I'm not suggesting you are wrong but an insight into your reasoning would perhaps help me understand.
So basically the rubber busing are going to flex when you try and crunch the gear putting less force into the selector fork. Obviously if you keep pushing its going to cause as much harm as bushes can only flex so much. The brass bush has no such give and your therefore putting more force on to the fork trying to engage the gear incorrectly.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

:) iThanks for the explanation, you are assuming that someone hamfisted enough to crunch the gears will be sufficiently mechanically sensitive to moderate the force they apply to the gear stick when things go all crunchy, I think that is unlikely. I've seen the sort of damage you allude to on non synchromesh gearboxes, specifically 1930s Bentleys which have a notoriously tricky box and on some straight cut racing boxes. Modern mass production gearboxes are fitted with helical cut gears that are by nature self aligning so significant damage is rare unless there is under lubrication and consequential heat damage. I think the reason that manufacturers fit flexible bushes is mostly that of NVH and to make it things easier on the production line.

For the same reason racing cars use spherical bearings in gear linkages your bronze beauties will aid precision but I doubt if they will put your gearbox at any greater risk of damage or materially speed up gear changes, but as you say they give a more precise feel to the stick and it's always nice to feel that you are driving something a little different to the crowd.

Enjoy your bushes they are a lot more sensible than many of the modifications I have cruelly subjected my cars to over the past 50 plus years!
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member

Post by DKPOLOGT »

Any guide to installing Them?

Theres not much space [emoji50]
Just been out having a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk