My GTi after 6k miles...

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ThisIsBarcode
New
Drives: 6c

My GTi after 6k miles...

Post by ThisIsBarcode »

I thought I'd pop on and give a quick review on my GTi after the first 6k miles.

I only drive 50miles a day to and from work, some good country roads and this thing really make them enjoyable. I had an Abarth 500 before and whilst the exhaust note was better on that, as for the performance of the GTi, it's far better. The ride is smoother, the power is delivered far better, and overall, its a real step up and one I'm glad I made. The Abarth was certainly fun and quirky, but the GTi has surprised me with just how many looks it gets. I got mine in white with a sunroof and when cleaned up, it really looks sharp.

I've only had 135mph out of it which was on the autobahn in July on the way to watch Fortuna Dusseldorf vs Ipswich (UP the Tractor boys!!!)...I did a fair few miles that trip...going from Newark, down to Dover, onto Gent, Dusseldorf, back through Eindhoven and home. Four of us in the car, the arm rest made driving easier, and the four guys said they were comfortable throughout. The sunroof certainly helped driving in the cities also with it being near 30 degrees 8) This trip I averaged around 35mpg which I was pretty happy with, considering the weight and average speed :roll:

The aggravating aspects...some very minor.

1) Seatbelts make a weird tapping noise up next to your head. I've tried adjusting the belt height, but makes no difference.
2) I dislike the way the light switches show in the drivers side window at night, right over the wing mirror.
3) Was pretty gutted they didn't put the GTi LED door sills on...

MY BIGGEST GRIPE...

The stereo. It seems really substandard to the rest of the car, as does the media system in general...Bluetooth cuts out often, it doesn't show the album artwork and tonight, it's packed up all together, says its playing songs but I'm getting no sound. Hopefully I'll find an answer after this.

OVERALL:

A really great car, I'd only be happier if the stereo stopped being a doorKNOB. Practical and economical when it needs to be...rapid and full throttle ride the rest of the time. :D
tomaspolo7
New
Drives: 2015 6C Polo GTI

Re: My GTi after 6k miles...

Post by tomaspolo7 »

Good review,thanks for posting
Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by Andy4791 »

Hi, a few people on the New Gti thread i started have had lots of problems with the head unit.
I also think its the weakest part of a good overall package. The album art i can maybe help you with. I play from mp3 files on the sd card and your album art needs to be 400x400 pixels max. Theres a nice little bit of software i use to resize the embedded art in your files called Sanse mp3 art resizer. just put all your album folders in it and it will resize the whole lot to the size you specify in one hit.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

did you get any sort of noticeable wind noise at that sort of speed?
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I had the issue with it playing songs with no sound in my golf. It came from trying to play music from my phone via the bluetooth connection. If yours is the same issue, I found it worked by going into the phone (once it was connected to the car), playing a track using the phone then closing the music app. After that, the system would play music again for a week or two.