2016 Polo TSI Match Apparently not compatible with App Connect

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
DannyK78
New
Drives: 2016 1.2 TSI Match Bluemotion

2016 Polo TSI Match Apparently not compatible with App Connect

Post by DannyK78 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:06 pm

This is my first post to this forum, buty hoping someone can help.

In March, I visited my local VW dealership, having done my research and knowing what car and accessories I wanted - Polo 1.2 TSI Math brand new 16 plate, with Convenience pack and App Connect.

The salesperson I dealt with advised me that there is a long delay on getting a brand new car configured, but that the dealer network can tag pre-ordered cars and I could get one with convenience pack, but not with app connect unless I was willing to wait 4-6 months for it. The salesperson specifically said to me that I can order a brand new car pre-configured, but without app connect, and then get it added via their service department, he even said it would be a little more expensive and indicated about £140-£150 instead of the £125 if built my car as configure to order and waited the extra months.

Once I agreed to buy, they advised they'll be keeping an eye on the cars becoming available and would let me know when one matches the colour I wanted, with the convenience pack. After a couple of weeks, I got a call to advise one was available and tagged for me.

I received my car mid-April and it is great, but obviously lacking app-connect which I was advised I'd need to book in at some point for after having received it.

I booked in for Thursday just gone, they collected the car, and advised me later that my car is not compatible to have it.
VW Car configurator shows my car to have the right-named media unit, and the VW app connect page on UK vw site shows the name of my head unit is one of the 3 that app connect is compatible with.

It seems from detailed hunting around since Thursday that perhaps my car has the first version of the MIB2 stereo, and therefore not comaptible, despite the ability to buy app connect having been advised by sales person when I went to buy the car.

I would like this situation sorted, as I bought the car in good faith, advised by the sales person that just buy app connect after purchase.

Has anyone got any advice on how to resolve this situation please?
On top of this, the dealership washed and damaged all rubber seals of my car, presumably by leaving on a foam baking in the sunshine and they're trying to get out of fixing it back to a comparable state as when they collected it, but that's another subject, of which I videod my car right before handed over keys to the collection driver, so have proof).

I'm driving do south of France and to Spain in summer, I bought the car clearly advising this and that I needed and wanted app connect for that - Sat Nav and other functions.

Thanks.

jb182
New
Drives: Bluegt 2015

Re: 2016 Polo TSI Match Apparently not compatible with App Connect

Post by jb182 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:18 pm

I understand where your coming from with regards to app connect. I bought my Bluegt in mid February and was told that app connect can be fitted afterwards.

A month or so later, I booked it in to be fitted and got the same information as you. The MIB 2 has 2 versions of which mine was the older version so they could not fit it.

I had an argument with the dealer as to why it took them
5 hours of having the car and 2 weeks notice to come to the conclusion it was not compatible. Their final answer was the parts system told them the wrong information and my only option was to change the car and pay another £2k plus to get one with app connect.

During the free "wash and vac" they scratched the rear window which has had to be replaced.

On the information you have given, my suggestion would be to email either the after sales manager or general manager of the dealership, explaining the sales person said it can be retrofitted after buying the car. I don't know the full details but it may be a possibility that you can reject the car? On the basis they told you it could have something it now can't?

Hope you get it sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyK78
New

Post by DannyK78 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Hi JB, thanks for your response.
Sorry you're also having that same situation.
The General Manager of the dealership network (they have 2 or 3 dealerships) is dealing with me but when we spoke on Saturday, he immediately offered that he's read through email communication with the sales person and doesn't see any reference to discussing app connect. Of course this would be the case, it was in person before and the email chain was about the deal and tagging of a car.
I went to visit the Sales person on Saturday. I actually thought the GM was just for one dealership, and the dealership that damaged my car. Didn't realise he was involved with app connect situation. Anyway, when I went to the dealership that sold me my car, I asked for the sales person, who did arrive but kept his distance as the GM had kept us apart and asked me into his office.

I have little doubt the salesperson knows what he said about installing as aftermarket upgrade, I'd mentioned it a number of times, (even discussing the main use this summer for a drive through Europe being made easier as a result) and he did tell me to go down the after-purchase installation route, even suggesting the slight increase in cost it would be.

It looked like the GM was shielding us from having a discussion. If I were to have the opportunity to discuss with him, I'd be confident he'd remember - something the gm probably knows I suspect.

Wish I had something in writing proving what he said about app connect though...
Thanks for your advice.

Apparently gm will call me Tuesday, but am very concerned as he even suggested the damage was natural wear to all my seals, despite HD video showing car fine before and photos showing awful, as it was being dropped off....

jb182
New
Drives: Bluegt 2015

Post by jb182 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:31 pm

It sounds almost identical the whole situation. My local dealership and managers won't have any of it despite emails.

But again, as there was nothing in writing when I bought the car they weren't prepared to do anything. It was all a verbal conversation during the purchase.

I do have an email after purchase saying it was available for retrofit, but apparently as this was an email after purchase there are not prepared to do anything. They are also saying no discussion ever took place which I know is not the case.

Surprisingly when I went back the sales person kept well away.

They seem to have a way of driving customers away.

I hope that your dealership are more forthcoming than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyK78
New

Post by DannyK78 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:19 pm

Ok, after much research I've done (no help from VW on the matter), here's my current findings:

The Composition Media System MIB2 is available in at least two versions:
One has Mute button down bottom left button, and is not compatible with App Connect. Those who are being turned away from the update probably have this version of the unit. It is an older unit and not what all documentation shows me is 2016 spec. The later version has Voice button instead, and App Connect can probably be activated.

Any Polo with the CMS system I believe that has the UE4 PR code (one of the 3 digit config codes in the table on the inner page of your service schedule booklet) is one of the ones that can be updated. If you've got that, I believe you're probably fine, but you probably can see App Connect mentioned on your car display when you connect a phone, or press the Media option and is shown in there.

My dealership has advised the salesperson denies any mention, agreement, discussion of app connect until the day I collected the car when I apparently mentioned for the first time (despite discussing at fair length on at least two occasoions), making my myself and my girfriend both apparent liars which I'm pretty disgusted at.

Anyway, I'm still in discussion with the lead sales person who I don't find understanding etc and I have advised him is likely the case wrong that version (2015 unit) of the Composition Media Unit has been installed and replacing the screen section and the infotainment unit box in glove compartment may resolve the app connect being able to be installed (I've confirmed I'm still ok with paying the £217 I was prepared to last week for the functionality), and if that were carried out and left me with the additional app connect functionality to which my car should have and what was agreed, I could consier the issue resolved. He advised would 'look into that' and hopefully get back to me Monday. I've not taken that as 'we'll do it if will work', as he's agreed just to look if feasible. I'm surprised with just how vw dealership network is just completely in the dark about anything to do with their entertainment systems, and all info discussed and found so far is from my Googling.

Pretty unhappy right now with this dealership, hopefully they finally resolve the situation and we can move on. If not, I'll pursue this further.

alanblakey1
New
Drives: 6C SE - 3 Door - 1.2 TSI - Deep Black

Post by alanblakey1 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:23 am

Hi Danny and JB,

So very pleased to stumble over both your posts as i've been speaking with my local Dealer (Lookers, Silverlink) and VW Customer service over App Connect today.

Two very conflicting sides of the story so far. Currently I have VW Customer service telling me that my car is compatible and can see from my VIN that correct Composition System is installed and simply to activate it, the dealer needs to do a software update in order to install and on the plus side as it takes hardly any time to do and only requires an update I should be paying a lot less than the £125 quoted on the configurator.
Pretty much what is outlined in this link:
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/ ... pp-connect

However on the other hand my local dealer thinks my car 'should' support it but is prepared to charge me a whopping £215 to install App Connect as it requires further parts to be added. However when asking them for an itemised estimate they went awfully quiet.

Are you guys any further forward? I'm taking this up with VW Customer service to get some clarity.

DannyK78
New

Post by DannyK78 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Alan, if you hold down the menu button of your Composition Media System, it should give you a 'Part Number'.
What is yours please on your vehicle?
Mine is 3Q0035820A, which is incompatible with App Connect unlock apparently from my research, regardless of paying £200 etc to unlock.
Does your unit have the button labelled 'Voice' or 'Mute' as the bottom button to left of screen. As I understand it the newer units that support App Connect have 'Voice', so if yours says 'Mute', I think your unit cannot be updated short of whole unit and touchscreen replacement and potentially more.

Ecb
New
Drives: Polo Match TDI 2017

Post by Ecb » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 am

Apologies for digging up an old thread.

My 2017 Polo has the older style unit with mute on the left hand bottom presumably ruling out connect app. Not a show stopper, but can I get apple car play to work with it?