Removal of turbo pipe.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
chrispy.
Gold Member

Removal of turbo pipe.

Post by chrispy. »

Hello!

I need to do some work in the engine bay, around the fuel rail.

Removing the pipe that connects the turbo from the front to the back of the engine seems to be the best course of action.

Does anyone have instructions on how remove this? I can see 4 torx screws but wondered if it was more intense than this.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Removal of turbo pipe.

Post by iichel »

What engine?
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Sorry! Should have mentioned that.

1.2 TSI 2011

wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

Just had a look at mine, there appears to be two little torx screws that fasten the black plastic transfer pipe to the turbo outlet at the front that need to be removed. At the rear it simply un-clips from the top of the throttle position housing. There is a little pressure sensor that needs to be unplugged and a little vacuum hose and thats it.

If you are messing about with the fuel rail bare in mind the output pressure from the high pressure pump can be well over 50 bar ( 725psi) At that pressure if you get some heading towards your eyes it will blind you. Wear safety glasses if you are fiddling about with the fuel rail. Sorry To be harsh, but if you can't work out how to get the transfer pipe off, anything to do with the fuel rail is probably best left to someone who knows their way around a TSi setup.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Thanks!

Thankfully I will not be touching the fuel rail :) i am replacing the cylinder breather hose which starts from the Air Box and finishes at the engine rocker cover which is under the turbo pipe.

chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Wasnt needed in the end, managed to complete the repair with everything intact.

Thanks for your help Wolfie!

wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Nice one, glad you got it sorted. :)

Out of interest what was wrong with the hose had it split or perished?
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

The hose pipe was ok, the valve that slots into the engine had snapped. Worried that the end has dropped inside the engine but its been running fine for years.. so im convinced its ok.

chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

I was getting a very strong smell of petrol inside the cab, when looking around the engine bay, i thought i'd start with the fuel lines and rail, notice a wet patch on the right hand side around the turbo pipe.

Looking around I then notice the hose in the picture was loose, then I saw it has snapped. It was obvious this was causing the smell and also rough engine run.

£23 later, new pipe and valve. Slotted on easy. Fingers crossed the running of the engine improves, and the smell will go.

wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Cheers, by chance I was just reading your other thread. Good you got it sorted, and well spotted, that breather is pretty well tucked away. Always good when it's a cheap easy fix. :) (Good photo's too)

I've just bought a modified cam chain cover (03F 109 210 D) off Ebay, just in case I summon up the courage to fit a modified cam chain over the summer...

Can't make my mind up at the moment, I'm toying with swapping the car for an Up/CityGo as I only do tiny miles now. Car is just turned 6 years old and has only done 22,000... LOL. I only need something cheap and cheerful really. But even with a few niggles the Tsi has up to yet been a great little car that's grown on me.
d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Post by d-ash »

wolfie wrote:
Can't make my mind up at the moment, I'm toying with swapping the car for an Up/CityGo as I only do tiny miles now. Car is just turned 6 years old and has only done 22,000... LOL. I only need something cheap and cheerful really. But even with a few niggles the Tsi has up to yet been a great little car that's grown on me.
You'll miss the quality interior, quiet drive and slick gear change. I recently came from an up! so can vouch for the differences !!
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

d-ash wrote:
wolfie wrote:
You'll miss the quality interior, quiet drive and slick gear change. I recently came from an up! so can vouch for the differences !!
I'm sure you're right, which is why I've been thinking about it for months but done nothing about it as yet. Cheap 'n' cheerful would suit my needs, so an Up or CityGo would do the job and be cheap to run. However as I've said the Polo has grown on me and apart from a couple of minor niggles has been trouble free. As it's an early CBZB 1.2 Tsi at some point I'd have to think about updating the cam chain just for peace of mind if I kept it. It's due a service and will want tyres on the front prior to winter. Do I keep spending money on this one, or buy something newer and cheaper to run?? (I do less than 5K a year at the moment) I'll probably still be thinking about it this time next year... :lol: :lol:
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

The cam chain is next on my list.

Anyone know what actually needs replacing? Want to see if anyone but VW can do it..

wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

chrispy. wrote:The cam chain is next on my list.

Anyone know what actually needs replacing? Want to see if anyone but VW can do it..

I've been doing my best to use my "Google-Fu" to try and work out what is involved to do the upgrade. To be honest as yet I'm still not sure. This is what I think is possible but I may be wrong as I am still trying to work it all out. Anyone who has any experience of either having done it or had it done would be appreciated.

Here goes. (please don't take any of this as gospel, this is me just trying to research stuff and thinking out loud)

There are I think three sets of timing chain associated with the engine 1.2 TSI / TFSI (CBZB 105HP, 90km)

03F 198 158 (the original factory system used during the first installation)

03F 198 158 A (Repair kit compatible with engines produced before 11.06.2011. (I don't think this kit includes the bottom sprocket???)

03F 198 158 B (Repair kit compatible with engines manufactured after 11/07/2011.)

The chain used initially has a tendency to premature elongation which results in noise from the chain, (mainly at start-up) power loss, increased fuel consumption. In worst cases could result in engine damage due to collision of the piston valves if the chain jumps free of the sprocket (generally the lower one)

There is also an updated cam chain cover that has 4 fillets to added prevent the chain jumping off the pinion. The number of the original: 03F109210C. Modified guard:- 03F 109 210 D (I checked mine and it is actually 03F 109 210 B) So a discrepancy in the information there???

Here are some links that I have found, but you will need to translate them as they are from all over the place :shock: :)

http://www.polovw.it/foro/viewtopic.php ... start=1644

http://a1.audi.club.forumfree.it/?t=63989251&st=240

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/3 ... n-problem/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm4g2yXC2tM

If you find anything please feel free to chip in... :) :)

Oh another thing I found is it crucial that you use good quality oil filters with an anti drain back valve in. This is supposed to help maintain oil pressure in the cam chain tensioner when the engine is not running so the chain in under as much tension at start-up from cold as possible.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Wow!! That is some research!

I will take a deeper look into this as like I said, i get the loud noise on start up, and have found my consumption has worsened since owning the car.

This is my next project to sort out. Might give VW a ring tomorrow and see what they suggest. However, the research you have here is GOLD! Thank you so much.