Polo GTI interior scratches

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Mrjaffa
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Polo GTI interior scratches

Post by Mrjaffa »

My GTI is a year old and I try to keep it in immaculate condition.

Just behind the gear stick, where the cup holders are, I've managed to scratch it a little when keeping keys in there. It's the black/grey plastic part and I'm just wondering if there's anything to use to touch it up.

What kind of plastic is it if I did just go and buy some spray - although matching the colour of course would be tough.

I've added a picture which isn't great and doesn't really show the scratches, but just so you know which bit I'm talking about.

d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Re: Polo GTI interior scratches

Post by d-ash »

Me too !! I'll be looking out for an easy fix.

Also my door panels are marked from shoes and where the door often hits the seatbelt buckle when being closed (3 door)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Much of the Polo's interior trim is hard plastic, which although hard wearing, is prone to scratches and scuffs from objects like keys.

I don't think I would attempt to paint the plastic; you may struggle to find a plastic-specific paint that's the correct colour, and I suspect it'll be prone to flaking and peeling over time, especially if the same area is scratched or scuffed again in future.

You could try a plastic and vinyl interior trim dressing. This won't remove the scratch marks and scuffs, but it should help to improve the appearance if you re-apply it regularly when you clean the interior of your car.

I use Poorboys Natural Look Dressing on my interior plastic trim and dashboard. I don't have any scratches or scuffs, so don't know how well it would help disguise them, but it does leave a nice non-shiny finish and smells great too.
Mrjaffa
New

Post by Mrjaffa »

SRGTD wrote:Much of the Polo's interior trim is hard plastic, which although hard wearing, is prone to scratches and scuffs from objects like keys.

I don't think I would attempt to paint the plastic; you may struggle to find a plastic-specific paint that's the correct colour, and I suspect it'll be prone to flaking and peeling over time, especially if the same area is scratched or scuffed again in future.

You could try a plastic and vinyl interior trim dressing. This won't remove the scratch marks and scuffs, but it should help to improve the appearance if you re-apply it regularly when you clean the interior of your car.

I use Poorboys Natural Look Dressing on my interior plastic trim and dashboard. I don't have any scratches or scuffs, so don't know how well it would help disguise them, but it does leave a nice non-shiny finish and smells great too.
Thanks!
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

A thick gel interior dressing will help hide them, if you try and paint them the painted spot with be darker than the rest and so will stand out more. For keys you should put them on the floor it stops them rattling too.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I don't tend to drink in my car so the cup holders don't get used for their intended purpose. I only use them to slot the case in that holds my prescription sunglasses; fits perfectly and doesn't rattle.

I don't put anything loose with sharp edges or points in the various storage bins/compartments in the car; apart from the issue of scratching the trim, the rattling would really annoy me. I have a small plain black zip-up bag that fits perfectly in the drivers door pocket and I keep any 'essential' small loose items in there, along with a microfibre cloth to stop them rattling.
hjgtiger
New
Drives: Dec 2016 White Gti auto

Post by hjgtiger »

I use "Simoniz black trim & bumper polish" on all my 'blackwork'. I seems to cover small scratches quite well.
Mrjaffa
New

Post by Mrjaffa »

Thanks everyone. Will look at Simoniz trim polish.