What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Iamnotbarry
New
Drives: GTi+ (aw)

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by Iamnotbarry »

had the car in for a dyno test today, stock car apart from a racingline foam panel filter added in place of the OEM filter.
average power was 203HP and average torque was 326Nm, which is in line with the factory specs from new.
planning on tuning it to try get 300BHP out of the engine. fingers crossed
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

From what I've seen on various groups a Stage 1 can produce anywhere from 240-260bhp. You'll need a Stage 2 for 300bhp+ and a few modifications.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

For 300bhp I think you'll need a new intercooler at the least and possible some new plugs. I think some people have gone for new turbos too to future proof the car, usually a Golf R turbo (IS38).
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:39 am For 300bhp I think you'll need a new intercooler at the least and possible some new plugs. I think some people have gone for new turbos too to future proof the car, usually a Golf R turbo (IS38).
If you're running 300ps you'll need the timing set up for RON98/99 as you will get pinking if you run RON95 for the amount of fuel you'll need to chuck in to get to 300ps. You might just about get away with 280ps on RON95 (The Golf R and its VAG equivalents in output run at 285 ps when fed RON95.

Running a Polo GTI at 300ps is nuts - will be far more cost effective to just buy an R and you'll have a better car to boot.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:18 pm
Stuart_Rendall wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:39 am For 300bhp I think you'll need a new intercooler at the least and possible some new plugs. I think some people have gone for new turbos too to future proof the car, usually a Golf R turbo (IS38).
If you're running 300ps you'll need the timing set up for RON98/99 as you will get pinking if you run RON95 for the amount of fuel you'll need to chuck in to get to 300ps. You might just about get away with 280ps on RON95 (The Golf R and its VAG equivalents in output run at 285 ps when fed RON95.

Running a Polo GTI at 300ps is nuts - will be far more cost effective to just buy an R and you'll have a better car to boot.
There's a guy on a Polo GTI Facebook page that has his running at around 350bhp (maybe 400 now). He must have spent thousands on the modifications needed. Seems silly having that much power from a FWD car.

I'd rather use that money and buy a Golf GTI/R and just remap that.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

I agree with both of you @monkeyhanger and @S_94, taking a fwd car like the Polo to 300bhp or above is ludicrous because it will never be usable power. The car will tramp and you'll be wasting rubber as well as potentially compromising components. I've also heard of people damaging drive shafts at stage 2 because of the torque gains that come with the modifications. I believe there is a reason that manufacturers like Reno, Honda and VW make fwd cars with the extra aero and lsd along with other trickery to allow the cars to put their power down but above 280bhp i'd be going for either an awd or rwd car although i'll always have a sweet spot for the Reno Megane RS 300 trophy.

In my car I am going to be modifying a few components but my plan is 250bhp max and if that ruins the experience then i'll be returning back to the 200bhp mark.
Iamnotbarry
New
Drives: GTi+ (aw)

Post by Iamnotbarry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:18 pm

what do you mean timing set up for ron98/99?

and if i had golf R money i would buy one! simply dont have that sort of money lying about. where as i can do little mods every now and then on the polo to get more out of it over time. its my first "sporty" car so im all new to the mod/tuning side of things.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Iamnotbarry wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:43 pm what do you mean timing set up for ron98/99?

and if i had golf R money i would buy one! simply dont have that sort of money lying about. where as i can do little mods every now and then on the polo to get more out of it over time. its my first "sporty" car so im all new to the mod/tuning side of things.
That's understandable. I wanted a Golf R over the Polo GTI in all honesty but at 21 my insurance company laughed me out the door with a woeful quote. The Polo GTI is my first sport car also but if you want to enjoy it and still maintain the reliability, performance and everyday usability of the car I would defo recommends keeping below the 270 to 280 bhp mark especially if it's your only car.

Also i'm not too sure how much research you have done but going above 280bhp, modifying engine and supporting components alone will cost upwards of £2000 and that's if you opt not to inform your insurance :wink: or go for a big brake kit and possibly a more capable clutch if needed. If you do decide to go the full hog though, you'll have to let us know how it goes and what you end up getting out of it :D because it is something I have looked into previously but I don't have the balls to do it :lol:
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Exactly.

Go to 240/250ps and all it costs is a remap/tuning box.

Go to 280-300ps and you're into the remap (£500), DSG remap (£300) + better intercooler (£400-600), new IS38 turbo (£1600), New plugs and ignition coil packs (£250),
maybe some better air intake systems... The higher (intended) output variants of the EA888 engine have uprated pistons and other internals to take the extra power and torque.

All money you won't see back. The hike on your insurance will be massive compared to insurance for an unmodified R. Not to mention a big bill if it goes bang - no warranty.

The R is more expensive than the Polo, but that gap probably isn't as huge as you'd imagine, given the bigger discounts and (if you're PCPing) the better residuals.

I used to have an R, bought outright new, kept it for 46 months and it lost me an average £220 a month while I owned it - pretty cheap motoring. It is hugely capable and composed to the point that its quite boring to drive legally. It doesn't feel anywhere near as quick as it is unless you are caning it.

As for the timing question, if you're running 300ps you will need RON98 fuel, the remap should advance the timing to compress more fuel further than is possible with RON95.

There's a limit to how much RON95 fuel you can inject at the standard timing and compression ratio without pinking (self ignition under compression). RON98/99 is less volatile and can be compressed further without pinking.

You just can't get enough RON95 in to get to 300ps without pinking.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Today I got round to fitting my new wheel from Diversion stores :D , not really necessary and kinda asbo but looks much better than the original in my opinion (not that there is anything wrong with the standard wheel).

A relatively easy job but heard a lot of airbag horror stories and was sh*tting myself while removing it but all went well :)
Attachments
20210204_114711.jpg
20210204_114711.jpg (3.96 MiB) Viewed 8670 times
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:23 pm Today I got round to fitting my new wheel from Diversion stores :D , not really necessary and kinda asbo but looks much better than the original in my opinion (not that there is anything wrong with the standard wheel).

A relatively easy job but heard a lot of airbag horror stories and was sh*tting myself while removing it but all went well :)
Looks good Stuart; very similar to the APR version that was being promoted recently by APR (as an official sponsor) on one of the Golf forums.

The thickness of the rim and the perforated leather sections reminds me of the steering wheel that was in my mk6 Golf GTD (no carbon fibre on the standard mk6 Golf’s steering wheel though!). I always thought that steering wheel was better than the one VW fitted in the mk7 Golf performance models and the previous generation/current generation Polo GTI.
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Post by Teee »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:23 pm Today I got round to fitting my new wheel from Diversion stores :D , not really necessary and kinda asbo but looks much better than the original in my opinion (not that there is anything wrong with the standard wheel).

That looks really good 😎
Last edited by Teee on Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

OOh I bloody love carbon fibre.
That would be a dead cert if I were keeping the car.
Lovely.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Looks great Stuart!

If I wasn't afraid of messing things up when removing the steering wheel I'd love to do this. :lol:
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Thanks for the kind words, I am loving using it at the moment. Transforms the cabin.