Wipers not turning off

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Re: Wipers not turning off

Post by Ricmondo »

Yes you can certainly encounter some dumb garages but they do have to deal with pretty stupid owners so you can perhaps understand why they opt for the simple but wrong answer.

I spent a very long time explaining to the owner of a brand new Fiat 124 Coupe that his car was noisy, slower than expected and thirsty because it had a five speed gearbox and he had never gone beyond fourth. He insisted that he had been driving for years before I was born and he knew that cars only had three or four speed gearboxes so I was talking rubbish.

I took him for a test drive and demonstrated fifth gear, he was still unconvinced so we did a straight swap with an automatic saloon and he went away happy that he had come out on top.

As a postscript, his claim about driving before I was born was wrong as was his perception of car values. He suggested the straight swap, we were happy as we had a waiting list for 124 Coupes and we had been struggling to find a purchaser for the 125 automatic. He was happy and we were up by best part of a grand on the deal. As my Saturday job had an element of commission it was one of my better weekends.

On another occasion I magically cured rough running and stalling by pushing in the choke knob. I guess many contributors will have to look up choke knob!

I was advised never to argue with a customer and keep it secret if I thought they were idiots.

I hope they will now sort out your wipers, alternatively you could move to Manchester where you will not really have to turn them off at all.
Snapp3r
New
Drives: 2015 1.0 polo

Post by Snapp3r »

Car back, New stalk fitted all works as it should , thanks fo4 help everyone :D
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Pleased to hear that, a long process but a good outcome
Mighty Hunter
New
Drives: 5 door 2015 VW Polo

Post by Mighty Hunter »

2015 Polo with 16000 miles after 3+3/4 years: wipers operating properly in all selections except ‘Off’ when front and rear wipers had a mind of their own and came on intermittently at unpredictable intervals. Stalk replaced at £210. Now working OK. In-built MTBF rate to generate continuing overheads? Such an infrequently used switch should last much longer than this.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Really not too good, is it, I'd think that you will find that quite a lot of the kit needed to build a Polo in South Africa - or maybe even elsewhere, is not being sourced from old establish proven outlets, yes they will have the name of a proven component maker on them, but not in the home(European) country or factory. VW Group are not alone in operating this way most countries demand that "job share" is in place before these European products are sold into their market place.

Moving some coil manufacture to Turkey and maybe elsewhere caused VW Group serious trouble round about 15 years ago, and still these companies are not always capable of upping their game to match the original European home base's quality of production and then quality control for outgoing goods.
jimlad123456789
New
Drives: polo

Post by jimlad123456789 »

Just in case anyone comes across this thread with a similar problem, my girlfriend had this problem, i replaced the fuse for the rain sensor and it fixed it, two fuses cost £2 from halfords.
Bertieb1983
New
Drives: 1.4tdi

Post by Bertieb1983 »

Not sure if it help but I had the exact same issue. I read about it needing a new stalk on the stearing wheel. I managed to sort mine by holding down the power button on the infotainment system until it rebooted. Not sure how long it will work for but try it first before you pay out any money!