Spare key fob blade

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Cheesebrains
New
Drives: 6R r line

Spare key fob blade

Post by Cheesebrains »

Does anyone know if I can order just a key blade for my 6r polo as I have acquired a fob?! I have someone in mind for the coding but didnt know wether you could just buy the blade to the chassis number from VW??
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Spare key fob blade

Post by RUM4MO »

Hum, I don't know that answer, though I'd suspect you could do that for a complete key.

I'd also think that you will need a new transponder as I'm guessing that you have acquired a previously used fob - otherwise why would you be now needing to buy a new blade.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

well the key blade will be cut by the factory, but the new key transponder needs to be programmed on-site to the immobiliser. you'll need both done before the car will start.
ag69
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2TSi 77Kw 7DSG

Post by ag69 »

+ 1

You can get a blank key cut from local keysmith
However transponder needs to be programmed
VCDS cant let you do that without a security code.
i am stuck with flip key (with new blade but used/old transponder) -- which can be inserted and doors opened.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

The "word on the street" is that most high street key cutters will tell you to bu--ar off with your ebay sourced hard as titanium(almost) new blade that will damage their key cutting machine.

A friend that has a SAAB or two, tried to get a new aftermarket key from one of these high street based key cutters - he made sure that it was based on the "I'll only pay you if the key fits the lock properly" - 4 attempts later, even after the key cutter ordered in some "definitely correct blades" - no good, on my advice he checked on how other SAAB owners sort this out (forum) - seemed that for his car, an old one, the genuine key and programming only cost about £15 more than using a high street key cutter - so he sorted that out easily.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

ag69 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:42 pm + 1

i am stuck with flip key (with new blade but used/old transponder) -- which can be inserted and doors opened.
You can buy a new transponder easily for a few £s, but that would need programed, can you not take a huge risk and try to remove the transponder from your original key - though that will only work if it is being retained without a plastic housing using something that looks like RTV.
ag69
Silver Member

Post by ag69 »

Thanks RUM4MO
yes, i agree. I am on same path.
Since transponder needs to have car security key/code (whatever name) and it cant be done through VCDS.
I am waiting for it to get it done.
ag69
Silver Member

Post by ag69 »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:28 pm
ag69 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:42 pm + 1

You can buy a new transponder easily for a few £s, but that would need programed, can you not take a huge risk and try to remove the transponder from your original key - though that will only work if it is being retained without a plastic housing using something that looks like RTV.

on this note anyone is having or selling new transponder?
i would be more than happy to buy from forum member or source.
please let me know what all information would be needed.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe try using Google as I found that there were a few companies selling the correct transponders for most car keys, there are a few different versions. Not too much money either - well for the VW keys from 2000 and 2002 that I was intending to buy them for.
JIC Cracked
Silver Member

Post by JIC Cracked »

@ag69

I noticed your based in London at the moment, if you want I have my last few key transponders in physical stock for a VW Polo 6R 2009 - 2014
I can assist with fitting and coding the transponder to your vehicle, I would need to see what factory key was supplied with your VW Polo 6R. (As there a quite a few different types)
*I charge a small fee if that helps, far cheap then a main dealer supplying you a new key and labour cost for coding*
If your seriously interested, please send me a PM.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that the above could be your best bet as I have not bumped into anyone selling new transponder chips for new VWs - yet.