New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW model Polos here!
johnpolo2
Silver Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 am
Drives: Polo GTI 2015
Location: Stratford upon Avon

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by johnpolo2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Monkey is spot on when he says VW could learn from BMW. How VW currently do things is flawed.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk


Nora
Bronze Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 pm
Drives: A polo
Location: Here

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by Nora » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Those of you who have had the status update could you edit your post to include the order date so we can guage if there’s a correlation between the two dates (4th & 11th) and when you ordered ie: No of weeks you’re been waiting, because I suspect that there’s no logic in vw’s scheduling, much like the old question of which extras could cause delays

S_94
Silver Member
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:41 pm
Drives: 2019 GTI+
Location: UK

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by S_94 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Nora wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:53 pm
Those of you who have had the status update could you edit your post to include the order date so we can guage if there’s a correlation between the two dates (4th & 11th) and when you ordered ie: No of weeks you’re been waiting, because I suspect that there’s no logic in vw’s scheduling, much like the old question of which extras could cause delays
Originally ordered a standard GTI on the 29/07/18. I then cancelled that and swapped it to a GTI+ that my dealer said was available, guessing the person who ordered it got sick of waiting so I was able to take over the order. No idea when that order was placed though, sorry.

Not sure if it'll help but the spec of the car is as follows:
  • GTI+
  • Pure White w/ Black Roof Pack
  • 18' Brescia Wheels
  • Jacara Red Cloth
  • No other additional extras

SRGTD
Platinum Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:40 pm
Drives: 2016 6C Polo GTI 5 door, Blue Silk
Location: UK

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by SRGTD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Nora wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:53 pm
Those of you who have had the status update could you edit your post to include the order date so we can guage if there’s a correlation between the two dates (4th & 11th) and when you ordered ie: No of weeks you’re been waiting, because I suspect that there’s no logic in vw’s scheduling, much like the old question of which extras could cause delays
There’s certainly no obvious correlation or logic in VW’s scheduling between order date and build week, bearing in mind johnpolo2 and a few others on the forum placed their orders 12 months ago and don’t have a confirmed build date yet, but others ordered later and have had their cars a while now.

johnpolo2
Silver Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 am
Drives: Polo GTI 2015
Location: Stratford upon Avon

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by johnpolo2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:25 pm

I always thought that it was mainly the brescias and sunroof that slowed the order for me. Then I see some spotty oik driving his, albeit in another country.
However I ordered the park assist as a bit of fun, never had it. I more than likely won't use it much tbh. I have wanted to remove it as I also wonder if it is the main reason for slowing my order down, amongst other things. Then I get told amending the order could delay it further.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk




Chris001
New
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 2:16 pm
Drives: GTi+ 2019
Location: UK

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by Chris001 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi All,

Also got the VW Tracker update this morning - nearly fell of the toilet when I saw it wasn't another update to Stage 2 but to Stage 3 "Build Week Confirmed".

Allegedly scheduled for build week 04/03/19 - I ordered my car last Jan 20th 2018

Spec was a GTi+
Reef Blue
Nav
Parking Camera
Winter Pack
Brescias

mike sel
Silver Member
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 am
Drives: SEL
Location: Dorset

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by mike sel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:50 pm

johnpolo2 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:25 pm
I always thought that it was mainly the brescias and sunroof that slowed the order for me. Then I see some spotty oik driving his, albeit in another country.
However I ordered the park assist as a bit of fun, never had it. I more than likely won't use it much tbh. I have wanted to remove it as I also wonder if it is the main reason for slowing my order down, amongst other things. Then I get told amending the order could delay it further.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Park assist is a bit of fun and TBH I did not think I would use it much, but actually I do. its really good and getting you parked (it does depend on how well the car in the place in front is parked ) also when reverse parking its also fine just a bit slow. time you have mucked around with the button etc you could have parked and got out of the car. This option did not hold my car up.

johnpolo2
Silver Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 am
Drives: Polo GTI 2015
Location: Stratford upon Avon

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by johnpolo2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 pm

Chris001 wrote:Hi All,

Also got the VW Tracker update this morning - nearly fell of the toilet when I saw it wasn't another update to Stage 2 but to Stage 3 "Build Week Confirmed".

Allegedly scheduled for build week 04/03/19 - I ordered my car last Jan 20th 2018

Spec was a GTi+
Reef Blue
Nav
Parking Camera
Winter Pack
Brescias
You and I ordered the same day.
Tried to get a response from my dealer today in case their system is showing more. They usually reply back to me but not today.
Not getting a timely update as others have today has left me somewhat furious.
Probably best they didn't call me because I am so close to telling VW group to shove it. It ends up being the principle of the thing.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk


Chris001
New
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 2:16 pm
Drives: GTi+ 2019
Location: UK

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by Chris001 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 pm

johnpolo2 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 pm
Chris001 wrote:Hi All,

Also got the VW Tracker update this morning - nearly fell of the toilet when I saw it wasn't another update to Stage 2 but to Stage 3 "Build Week Confirmed".

Allegedly scheduled for build week 04/03/19 - I ordered my car last Jan 20th 2018

Spec was a GTi+
Reef Blue
Nav
Parking Camera
Winter Pack
Brescias
You and I ordered the same day.
Tried to get a response from my dealer today in case their system is showing more. They usually reply back to me but not today.
Not getting a timely update as others have today has left me somewhat furious.
Probably best they didn't call me because I am so close to telling VW group to shove it. It ends up being the principle of the thing.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Totally understand your frustration John believe me I was surprised as anyone to get a update this morning but can’t imagine how your feeling.... makes no sense?

I would definitely be looking for a explanation from VW And be challenging them on it. The fact they have not replied to you yet when you say they usually do may suggest they themselves are doing some digging for you?

How much does your spec vary from mine aside from your Parking?

johnpolo2
Silver Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 am
Drives: Polo GTI 2015
Location: Stratford upon Avon

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by johnpolo2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 am

Chris001 wrote:
johnpolo2 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 pm
Chris001 wrote:Hi All,

Also got the VW Tracker update this morning - nearly fell of the toilet when I saw it wasn't another update to Stage 2 but to Stage 3 "Build Week Confirmed".

Allegedly scheduled for build week 04/03/19 - I ordered my car last Jan 20th 2018

Spec was a GTi+
Reef Blue
Nav
Parking Camera
Winter Pack
Brescias
You and I ordered the same day.
Tried to get a response from my dealer today in case their system is showing more. They usually reply back to me but not today.
Not getting a timely update as others have today has left me somewhat furious.
Probably best they didn't call me because I am so close to telling VW group to shove it. It ends up being the principle of the thing.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Totally understand your frustration John believe me I was surprised as anyone to get a update this morning but can’t imagine how your feeling.... makes no sense?

I would definitely be looking for a explanation from VW And be challenging them on it. The fact they have not replied to you yet when you say they usually do may suggest they themselves are doing some digging for you?

How much does your spec vary from mine aside from your Parking?
Hi,
Winter pack
Rear view camera
Climate control
Park assist
Blind spot monitoring
Panoramic sunroof
Sat nav
Limestone grey
Wireless charging (no longer available)
Brescia wheels

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk


SHIPWRECKED
New
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm
Drives: GTI +
Location: North Somerset

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by SHIPWRECKED » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:54 pm

I cancelled mine on Friday after an 8month wait and the last (loose) update being ‘we expect a build of week 19’ (delivery Aug/Sept).
I walked in to Dick Lovett Mini at 5pm Friday, ordered a Cooper Sport with tons of extras - had a delivery date of March 1st in less than 24 hours. Amazing how quickly they can turn it around!

johnpolo2
Silver Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 am
Drives: Polo GTI 2015
Location: Stratford upon Avon

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by johnpolo2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:41 pm

SHIPWRECKED wrote:I cancelled mine on Friday after an 8month wait and the last (loose) update being ‘we expect a build of week 19’ (delivery Aug/Sept).
I walked in to Dick Lovett Mini at 5pm Friday, ordered a Cooper Sport with tons of extras - had a delivery date of March 1st in less than 24 hours. Amazing how quickly they can turn it around!
I was out with some friends last night. One of them had ordered a brand new mini and had it delivered in a matter of a few weeks.
One would hope that VW realise how they do things need to change.
It obviously isn't just the long build wait but then we all have to endure another ridiculous amount of time shipping it from South Africa.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk


Nora
Bronze Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 pm
Drives: A polo
Location: Here

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by Nora » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Chris001 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:18 pm
Allegedly scheduled for build week 04/03/19 - I ordered my car last Jan 20th 2018
That seems to tally with what I’m thinking as I ordered mine about a week later and I have a build week one week after you

As for minis, there seems to be as many permutations of them as there are odds of winning the lottery.

monkeyhanger
Platinum Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 pm
Drives: Golf R, Polo GTI+ (pre GPF)
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by monkeyhanger » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:46 pm

If I was getting a Mini I'd go with a nearly new one - the initial depreciation on them is hideous.

We considered a Mini instead of the Polo (and Ibiza). Years ago they had great residuals, but it seems that's not the case now. We looked around the new and used ones.

Not at all keen on the 5 door variants (they look like a stretch limo version of what the mini should look like) but we need a 5 door car for the kids - strike 1.

Mentioned how cheap the used ones there were and said that the depreciation must be awful - immediately offered £4k discount off a new Cooper S without even asking. They had 14 month old examples low mileage 5 door Cooper S for £14k (RRP £26K). Some one wiĺl gave bought that car for £22k at discount and still lost £11k in 14 months for the dealership to be selling it for £14k. Strike 2 for considering new, seemed reasonable for the used one.

On the RHD variants, the pedal assembly has the gearbox right behind it, so they have shoehorned all pedals into the right half of the footwell to make for a hugely uncomfortable clutch pedal position. Strike 3.

They did promise a quick turnaround.

With depreciation like that, J wouldn't consider a brand new one unless I got at least 25% discount.

SHIPWRECKED
New
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm
Drives: GTI +
Location: North Somerset

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by SHIPWRECKED » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:02 am

monkeyhanger wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:46 pm
If I was getting a Mini I'd go with a nearly new one - the initial depreciation on them is hideous.

We considered a Mini instead of the Polo (and Ibiza). Years ago they had great residuals, but it seems that's not the case now. We looked around the new and used ones.

Not at all keen on the 5 door variants (they look like a stretch limo version of what the mini should look like) but we need a 5 door car for the kids - strike 1.

Mentioned how cheap the used ones there were and said that the depreciation must be awful - immediately offered £4k discount off a new Cooper S without even asking. They had 14 month old examples low mileage 5 door Cooper S for £14k (RRP £26K). Some one wiĺl gave bought that car for £22k at discount and still lost £11k in 14 months for the dealership to be selling it for £14k. Strike 2 for considering new, seemed reasonable for the used one.

On the RHD variants, the pedal assembly has the gearbox right behind it, so they have shoehorned all pedals into the right half of the footwell to make for a hugely uncomfortable clutch pedal position. Strike 3.

They did promise a quick turnaround.

With depreciation like that, J wouldn't consider a brand new one unless I got at least 25% discount.
I got a good discount as I have a friend who works for BMW, really happy with my purchase and the fact that they are building a car to my exact specifications within 7 weeks is a bonus. I went for a 3 door, I don't like the 5 door either. It's only really me that uses the car as my kids are older so having a 3 door will rarely be an issue.

Post Reply