New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
gonk1959
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Gti polo

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by gonk1959 »

gnome wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 am
gonk1959 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:37 am
gonk1959 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:52 am

Same here lol. notified 5 days ago from dealer that car was in UK. Only yesterday did tracker update. Totally pointless

Can You guys who have received your GTI+ confirm? I notice the standard equipment spec indicates "hill hold control" Not seen it before, is it new to standard equipment? Is it like electronic hand brake? wandering if mine will have the extra bells and whistles a 14 months on? build week was 11
It'll hold the car on a hill for about 2 seconds, enough time to get from brake to accelerator. It was part of the spec when I ordered in September, although I don't have my car yet.
Thanks Gnome.

And for something completely different lol. Ignorance is bliss I know but takes my new plates into dealership to fit when they receive my car. I ordered these new plates to inc some artwork to the left where the badge option would go. Being a big Floyd fan I had their iconic Dark Side album put on the plates. The company that made them were more than happy to make them, but then why not? They cost me £85 7 months a go and have been sat waiting for car. VW tell me now that they are not road legal. After google search I now see they are probably right? What hacks me off is the company that made them must have known this but never red flagged it to me, even ask the question for example "are these show plates or road plates" ? I guess I should of done my homework first. I am waiting for email reply from DVLA to comfirm. I am pretty sure they will end up in my man cave?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

gonk1959 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:37 am
gonk1959 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:52 am
gnome wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:12 am Just received the stage 6 text to say car is in the UK, bit late, it’s been here for a week! 🙄
Same here lol. notified 5 days ago from dealer that car was in UK. Only yesterday did tracker update. Totally pointless

Can You guys who have received your GTI+ confirm? I notice the standard equipment spec indicates "hill hold control" Not seen it before, is it new to standard equipment? Is it like electronic hand brake? wandering if mine will have the extra bells and whistles a 14 months on? build week was 11
Not sure on the exact duration of the hill hold, 5 seconds has been standard on my 2 Sciroccos and A1, my 2 recent Golfs had auto handbrake, holding it indefinitely. It definitely hold long enough for the DSG clutches to get to biting point when you let the brake pedal go - never had mine roll back on me at all.

You only need to use the hand brake when parking, if you keep your foot on the brake when stopped in D/S rather than knocking it into neutral.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

iirc Hill hold was standard on SE, SEL and above from around 2010, the 2010 polo I’ve traded in had it
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

gonk1959 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 am And for something completely different lol. Ignorance is bliss I know but takes my new plates into dealership to fit when they receive my car. I ordered these new plates to inc some artwork to the left where the badge option would go. Being a big Floyd fan I had their iconic Dark Side album put on the plates. The company that made them were more than happy to make them, but then why not? They cost me £85 7 months a go and have been sat waiting for car. VW tell me now that they are not road legal. After google search I now see they are probably right? What hacks me off is the company that made them must have known this but never red flagged it to me, even ask the question for example "are these show plates or road plates" ? I guess I should of done my homework first. I am waiting for email reply from DVLA to comfirm. I am pretty sure they will end up in my man cave?
If the plates you got have the manufactures ID on them visible then they have been sold to you as road legal. If not then they have sold them to you as show plates. The manufacturer will only put their ID's on-road legal plates as they will be the ones that get in trouble if they are not road legal.

If you want to check the legality then have a read through this: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... inf104.pdf

As far as I understand it that badge area is limited to country flag only not anything custom. If you want something custom on your plate that is road legal then you need a lipped plate where under the plate you can have something custom but it must be non-reflective.
gonk1959
Bronze Member

Post by gonk1959 »

l3rady wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:13 am
gonk1959 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 am And for something completely different lol. Ignorance is bliss I know but takes my new plates into dealership to fit when they receive my car. I ordered these new plates to inc some artwork to the left where the badge option would go. Being a big Floyd fan I had their iconic Dark Side album put on the plates. The company that made them were more than happy to make them, but then why not? They cost me £85 7 months a go and have been sat waiting for car. VW tell me now that they are not road legal. After google search I now see they are probably right? What hacks me off is the company that made them must have known this but never red flagged it to me, even ask the question for example "are these show plates or road plates" ? I guess I should of done my homework first. I am waiting for email reply from DVLA to comfirm. I am pretty sure they will end up in my man cave?
If the plates you got have the manufactures ID on them visible then they have been sold to you as road legal. If not then they have sold them to you as show plates. The manufacturer will only put their ID's on-road legal plates as they will be the ones that get in trouble if they are not road legal.

If you want to check the legality then have a read through this: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... inf104.pdf

As far as I understand it that badge area is limited to country flag only not anything custom. If you want something custom on your plate that is road legal then you need a lipped plate where under the plate you can have something custom but it must be non-reflective.
Hi l3rady
Many thanks for your reply. Very interesting reading, very much appreciated. Yes they actually say on their "design a plate" that they will show their ID bottom right automatically UNLESS the customer ticks a box telling them not too. My plates have their ID stamped on plate.
So the fact I have album artwork where country flag is could still mean its illegal despite manufactures ID stamp on plate?
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

Anyone any experience with service plans, where you pay a set amount each month. As I was offered one by the salesman
gonk1959
Bronze Member

Post by gonk1959 »

Nora wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:34 am Anyone any experience with service plans, where you pay a set amount each month. As I was offered one by the salesman
Hi Nora
I always have a service plan but I include it when I configure the car and just pay a total each month.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Holy smokes, it has arrived.
Just a couple of things to sort and I may be picking it up later today or at worst, tomorrow morning.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Brilliant enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

gonk1959 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 am Hi l3rady
Many thanks for your reply. Very interesting reading, very much appreciated. Yes they actually say on their "design a plate" that they will show their ID bottom right automatically UNLESS the customer ticks a box telling them not too. My plates have their ID stamped on plate.
So the fact I have album artwork where country flag is could still mean its illegal despite manufactures ID stamp on plate?
I'm no expert on it, and everything I have seen online comes up with mixed opinions on whether a custom graphic in the badge area is road legal or not. I see a lot of cars out there with custom badges showing sports teams and car makes, invalid letter spacing and using the wrong font and seem to get away for it. One thing is though that when you come to MOT, depending on who does your car they may fail you because of the custom graphic.

Personally, from what I've read online, I would think those plates are fine to put on but just be prepared to change them to some bog standard ones when the first MOT comes around.

I've got a custom plate for my new car on the way, and when getting it made, I made sure it's 100% legal with no grey areas, as the consequences for illegal plates is that your custom registration is taken away from you. Don't want to risk losing it when it cost about £400.
gonk1959
Bronze Member

Post by gonk1959 »

l3rady wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:58 pm
gonk1959 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 am Hi l3rady
I'm no expert on it, and everything I have seen online comes up with mixed opinions on whether a custom graphic in the badge area is road legal or not. I see a lot of cars out there with custom badges showing sports teams and car makes, invalid letter spacing and using the wrong font and seem to get away for it. One thing is though that when you come to MOT, depending on who does your car they may fail you because of the custom graphic.

Personally, from what I've read online, I would think those plates are fine to put on but just be prepared to change them to some bog standard ones when the first MOT comes around.

I've got a custom plate for my new car on the way, and when getting it made, I made sure it's 100% legal with no grey areas, as the consequences for illegal plates is that your custom registration is taken away from you. Don't want to risk losing it when it cost about £400.
Thanks l3rady
Yes a bit of a grey area. I also heard a hefty fine as well as your cherished plate being confiscated. Not sure I want to take the risk? brought the reg about 10yrs ago for £600 and not worth the risk over a bit of custom graphics. Looking like wall art for my shed sigh.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Nora wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:34 am Anyone any experience with service plans, where you pay a set amount each month. As I was offered one by the salesman
I took one out for my previous generation Polo GTI.

For me, the benefit is you’re spreading the cost of basic servicing over a period, and buying a service plan worked out cheaper than paying the VW dealer for the services when they became due. The service regime that’s set for the car from the factory is for flexible / long life servicing, but if you have a service plan, the services under the service plan are every 10,000 or 12 months (whichever happens first), so the dealer needs to change the service regime for the car. Time and distance works for me as I only cover 6,000 - 7,000 miles per year.

Be aware that the service plans cover the basic servicing - one minor (oil change) service and one major (inspection service) and don’t include a brake fluid change which is due at three years old. I’m now on my second service plan (covers third and forth services), and the cost is higher than for the VW service plan for a new VW - I think there are additional jobs carried out (hence the higher cost) but I can’t check just now as I’m unable to access the information on VW’s website!

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/ser ... 1-year-old
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

gonk1959 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:46 am
Hi Nora
I always have a service plan but I include it when I configure the car and just pay a total each month.
iirc as I have a 4yr extended warranty they quoted me a 4yr service plan for £29-£30 a month via DD, this included minor and major services, timing belt and water pump, brakes disc & pads, 2 MOT’s (yrs 3+4), 2 aircon refreshes, 2 brake fluid changes, and without looking at the paperwork possibly something more
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Yes,

Had it on my last 3 VWs. If you buy a service pack with the car, you get your first 2 services for £199.

If you buy later, it's £299.

You can pay up front or in installments - interest free.

VWFS administrator it. Even though I am buying outright, and paying the dealer, not VWFS, you have to enter into agreement with VWFS as they pay the dealership for your services when the work is done.

On the £299 deal it's £16.50 a month for 18 months. You can purchase plans for up to 5 years coverage (4 annual services) - that was £16.50 a month over 36 months on my Golf R.

Services include oil, oil/air filters, brake fluid (maybe spark plugs if and when required), but definitely not DSG or Haldex fluid/filter changes.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Nora wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:05 pm
gonk1959 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:46 am
Hi Nora
iirc as I have a 4yr extended warranty they quoted me a 4yr service plan for £29-£30 a month via DD, this included minor and major services, timing belt and water pump, brakes disc & pads, 2 MOT’s (yrs 3+4), 2 aircon refreshes, 2 brake fluid changes, and without looking at the paperwork possibly something more
You must’ve ordered your car when VW were still offering the extended factory warranty (no longer available). If you have a 4 year service plan, it sounds as if it’s the dealer’s own (VW service plans have been two year plans since at least 2016) and covers some maintenance items too (brakes).

Looks as if there are elements of the service plan you’ve bought that you won’t get the benefit of;
  • timing belt change - the Polo GTI has a chain, not a belt, and the chain is a non-serviceable item.
  • In cars with a cam belt, it is advisable to change the water pump when changing the cam belt, but unless it develops a fault (which should be covered under your 4 year warranty) it shouldn’t need changing.
  • the second brake fluid change isn’t due until the car is 5 years old (the first one is due at 3 years, then subsequent changes are every two years).