Handbrake

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Gridgway
New
Drives: SE Tech 1.0 TSI 95PS DSG 5-door

Re: Handbrake

Post by Gridgway »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:25 pm I see from your signature details that your car’s got DSG transmission. Maybe a silly question (and apologies for asking it) but when you’ve come to a stop, applied the handbrake and taken your foot off the brake pedal, do you still have the DSG selector lever in ‘D’? If yes, then the car will naturally try to pull away against the resistance of the handbrake being applied.

My car has DSG and when I come to a stop while driving, I don’t apply the handbrake - I just keep my foot on the brake pedal which disengages the clutches in the DSG (I only apply the handbrake when parking). If your preference is to use the handbrake when coming to a stop, then ensure the DSG selector is also moved to ‘N’ (neutral) to stop the car trying to move forward against the handbrake.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes indeed DSG. I understand what you are saying. I assume when you take your foot off the footbrake, the clutches are re-engaged, so it needs to move forward?

The idea of coming to a stop, putting on the handbrake, putting it into neutral, taking your foot off the brake and then reversing that process to start off again is a non-starter really and pointless. Just need to get used to not using the handbrake when driving.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Gridgway wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:51 pm
SRGTD wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:25 pm I see from your signature details that your car’s got DSG transmission. Maybe a silly question (and apologies for asking it) but when you’ve come to a stop, applied the handbrake and taken your foot off the brake pedal, do you still have the DSG selector lever in ‘D’? If yes, then the car will naturally try to pull away against the resistance of the handbrake being applied.

My car has DSG and when I come to a stop while driving, I don’t apply the handbrake - I just keep my foot on the brake pedal which disengages the clutches in the DSG (I only apply the handbrake when parking). If your preference is to use the handbrake when coming to a stop, then ensure the DSG selector is also moved to ‘N’ (neutral) to stop the car trying to move forward against the handbrake.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes indeed DSG. I understand what you are saying. I assume when you take your foot off the footbrake, the clutches are re-engaged, so it needs to move forward?

The idea of coming to a stop, putting on the handbrake, putting it into neutral, taking your foot off the brake and then reversing that process to start off again is a non-starter really and pointless. Just need to get used to not using the handbrake when driving.
Yes, the clutches re-engage when you take your foot off the foot brake, so the car will want to move forward.
Last edited by SRGTD on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I do the same as SRGTD but if Im going to be there more than a few seconds I might move the lever to neutral and leave my foot in the brake. Just so it doesn’t pull forward if I accidentally slip.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

That age of Polo probably needed a recall/repair action on the handbrake cables - probably due to VW Group having perfected the best/cheapest way to source handbrake cables.

My daughter bought a slightly used 2019 SEAT Arona, and it came to them with a "horrible" handbrake action, and the correct recall/repair action having been carried out at 2 SEAT dealerships! Strange that VW Group covered paying out twice, so I'd think now, without me having checked driven this car (it lives in London), I'll maybe end up buying new cables and fitting them, maybe some aftermarket suppliers have resorted to making handbrake cables that work properly.

There are sources, or a source online that lists official (safety related) recalls but possibly they are only getting listed under the UK agency's numbering system - which mean very little in the dealerships information system, which mean that if you were inclined to dig deep and find the actual recall, you would only be able to use its description/scope of work in a bid to force your local VW dealership to check the records held against your car. For me, after finding out just how unsuccessful SEAT were in curing the issue on my daughter's second hand Arona, I'd be looking for a proper way to get that issue sorted out.
Gridgway
New
Drives: SE Tech 1.0 TSI 95PS DSG 5-door

Post by Gridgway »

Just as an update to finish my enquiry, VW replaced the HB cables for me and they are now silky smooth and the HB much stronger than it was before. Also I have worked out when to use it and when not, so all good there. Thanks all for the help!
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

I always put in neutral with handbrake if I'm stopping for a while. "A While" being whatever I think appropriate for the situation.

Usually to avoid burning the retinas behind me with brake lights.

Or giving my foot on the brake a rest.

I wish VW fitted a proper Hill-Hold system like my Skoda that really means Stay Stopped When I Stop - complete with clutches disengaged.

Though I often flip the electric Parking Brake on that too when I stop for a while in traffic.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes "proper" hill hold is great to have, but that is only possible if the car also has electric handbrake operation. I used to hate electric handbrakes, but once you realise that when you have that, you can also have proper hill hold, it moderates at least my thoughts concerning electric handbrakes - and here I and only talking about cars with manual gearboxes, it makes complete sense for cars with DSG which now tends to in some people's mind mean that in normal use, they never ever need to actually apply the handbrake, ie it gets activated automatically when the ignition get switched off, or the driver's seatbelt is removed or the front doors are opened.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:44 am Yes "proper" hill hold is great to have, but that is only possible if the car also has electric handbrake operation. I used to hate electric handbrakes, but once you realise that when you have that, you can also have proper hill hold, it moderates at least my thoughts concerning electric handbrakes - and here I and only talking about cars with manual gearboxes, it makes complete sense for cars with DSG which now tends to in some people's mind mean that in normal use, they never ever need to actually apply the handbrake, ie it gets activated automatically when the ignition get switched off, or the driver's seatbelt is removed or the front doors are opened.
………. and then you have to learn a new set of button pushes to park your car with the parking brake OFF, gearbox in P of course , hopefully not with any weight on it, to avoid sticking pads over a long period.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I wonder if any or many people ever discover just how much abuse that parking pawl will/can take, or are they almost bomb proof.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

Until reading this i never new what others have had to put up with.

My secondhand Polo (2019) has always had a stiff to pull up handbrake since i had it. I have had two MOTs and passed without issue but still don't like the lack of smoothness. It is harsh and takes more effort than in used to.

My last Polo was effortless in use. I will ask my local garage to look at this. Don't trust the dealerships any more.