Recall - rear seat belt

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Recall - rear seat belt

Post by RUM4MO »

Exactly, the seat base will be able to get removed as and when you need extra space, the reverse of when it was fitted at factory.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Dark_cze wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:58 pm
MilgeS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:49 pm Just thinking about the fix for the rear seatbelt, how do they get access to those parts where the rear bench seat is a fixed piece?

On some of my previous cars the rear bench split and lifted forwards to enable the seat backs to fold flat. I have an annoying squeak/rattle from the rear bench too, wonder how this is secured, anyone removed it before?
There should be hidden clips under seat. Guess 4 around edge
Thank you, I'll have a look for those, see if I can locate my squeak!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I have not looked at the parts list for new Polo, but quite a lot of modern VW Group car models that do not have "lift up" rear seat cushions, secure the rear seat base using special anchors, these anchors can only get used once, so once you have grabbed each side and ripped up the seat base, you have destroyed these anchors, so you will need to remove all the remaining intact and broken plastic and buy a couple of new anchors from any VW Group dealership, they cost very little. I have had the rear seat base out of my Audi S4 twice now to carry out upgrades, and I needed to replace these anchors both times, maybe they were first used on Passat.

Edit:- I've just checked the parts listing and there are 2 anchors that hold the seat base down to the body, so what I've written above is true.

Part number and correct name for these anchors is 5G0 886 373 Grommet.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

So I took a look and it look like there are 2 point where seat base is hold to body. nr.5 is 5G0886373
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Correct, as I posted earlier!
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Someone posted about if their legal cover would assist in suing VW about the seatbelt situation (Post deleted by original poster?). Probably not. If you were unaware of the situation and unwittingly put 3 people in the back seats, middle one unmatched and there were injuries as a result of the unlatching, then you would have a claim.

There is a company in the UK trying to make a class action for dieselgate losses - I was contacted (collected the wife's 1.6TDI A1 2 days after dieselgate broke out).

Unlike the Yanks though, in the UK we expect to only have our losses covered (cover for any losses due to lower residuals following dieselgate) - in the USA, they are expecting to run their potentially affected cars for 3 or 4 years and then get reimbursed for the whole cost of the PCP/lease period - free motoring.

You will notice in the litigation-happy USA that mpg expectations are more realistic so the car companies aren't sued for misrepresentation. Once you adjust for USA gallons to Imperial gallons, the US figures are still lower.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

I was the original poster but did not remove the post. I did not have any realistic hope of any legal progress. My seat belts have now been fixed but still no communication from vw uk about the potential problem apart from telling me my car was not affected!
jackois
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps manual

Post by jackois »

Hi all,

I've just received the recall letter from VW. I don't intend trying to get it done before new year as I rarely carry any rear seat passengers.

Hoe long does the fix take? Is it a while you wait, or leave the car job?

Cheers, Peter,
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

They told me an hour but it took an hour and half. I waited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The dealer probably fits jobs like this in around other work, so it may not take an hour to an hour and a half, but you may wait that long for the job to be completed.
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Dark_cze wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:38 pm So I took a look and it look like there are 2 point where seat base is hold to body. nr.5 is 5G0886373
Lovely, thank you. Do they just pop out/push in do you think?
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

MilgeS wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:00 am
Dark_cze wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:38 pm So I took a look and it look like there are 2 point where seat base is hold to body. nr.5 is 5G0886373
Probably :-D give it a try
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

MilgeS wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:00 am
Yes they do, I've been there done that twice in my Audi S4, a common component design across the VW Group marques, if you read my posting you would see that I said that you pick out the previous one and any of the hard black plastic parts that gets broken and then just push the new one into the opening in the body, then first feed the rear seat base down and backwards to engage the ligs at the rear and then press down so that the front of the seat base engages into these new anchors.

To remove the rear seat base, just grab the front at each side individually and pull up until you break the retainer in the anchor, you will know when you have done that as that point/end of the seat base can be lifted up quite a bit, then repeat this at the other side, then lift the front of the seat base up and ease forwards to disengage from the rear lugs.
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Thank you very much, I didn't see your previous post so apologies if you've had to repeat yourself, many thanks :)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

These new anchors only cost me £2.40 each inc VAT back in May/June this year, which surprised me.