What tyres?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Polonut
New
Drives: 2020 Polo Match 1Litre TSI

What tyres?

Post by Polonut »

My 2016 Polo (on 185x60x15) will shortly need some new tyres.
I would be grateful to learn others view/ experiences with Michelin Energy - which is my first choice/favourite at the moment.
Your comments appreciated
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Re: What tyres?

Post by Willni »

Depends what you're after, but if you're after the best try using http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ to find the best for your size :) I run Continental Premium Contact 6 but I have 17inch aftermarket BBS. The best for your size is Michelin CrossClimate Plus according to testing, that is if you're only after All-Season Tyres vs dedicated summer and winter sets.
PlymouthArgyle
New
Drives: 1.8 GTI

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

I just put some new Bridgestone S001’s on the front and after reading online I wish I hadn’t there are some much better alternatives out there.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

PlymouthArgyle wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 pm I just put some new Bridgestone S001’s on the front and after reading online I wish I hadn’t there are some much better alternatives out there.
Yes, Bridgestones aren’t the best performance tyres; they’re quite a hard compound so don’t provide as much grip as some of the alternatives, especially in cooler and wet weather conditions. They also seem quite noisy too. The flip side of being a harder compound is that they last longer than some of the alternatives; not necessarily a good thing if you find they don’t perform particularly well.

The last two sets of tyres I’ve had on VW’s have been Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (the current version is the Asymmetric 3) on a Golf and I currently have Continental Sport Contact 3’s on my Polo GTI. IMO both the Goodyears and Continentals are better than the Bridgestones.

Back to the OP’s question on suggestions on 185/60 R15’s; I’d always choose a reputable brand (which Michelin are). Other alternatives I’d consider (assume the OP is looking for summer tyres?) in that size are Continental ContiEco Contact 5, which has performed well in various tyre tests (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Conti ... tact-5.htm), As did the Michelin Energy Saver Plus (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Miche ... r-Plus.htm)
PlymouthArgyle
New
Drives: 1.8 GTI

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll remember them the next time it comes around. Sorry to hijack the thread.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Polonut,

Which tyres do you have on your 2016 Polo at present? You don't say. Hankooks, perhaps?

My wheels (on a 2017 Polo 1.2) came with stock Hankook Kinergy Eco 4S 185x60 R15, which I find 'okay' but nothing special. They're certainly nowhere near as quiet as the Michelins I had fitted to my old Golf and which were still going strong at 56,000 mls.

Last year I briefly looked to see what Michelin could offer as replacements for my Hankooks and, as Willni has remarked, the Michelin CrossClimate Plus seemed to be the best choice for an all-year-round tyre. For just a few quid more, Michelins tend to give you very good wear properties, excellent grip, and low noise, if you select carefully and then treat them with respect. Michelin Energys also came into the comparisons, as did also the Pilot Sport 4. For me personally, low noise and good ride comfort are high on my list of essential features.

Don't be tempted to go for wider tyres, unless you're willing for more roadnoise to be conveyed up into the chassis, and hence into the cabin. Leave wider wheels and tyres to the boy racers.

For myself, it was a matter of deciding whether I really wanted to end up with a set of nearly-new spare tyres on my hands, together with the risks of wheel-damage during fitment of the new ones, pitted against just 'making do' with the Hankooks for what I now see for myself (in my now advanced years) as probably some rapidly diminishing years of motoring. The latter won out.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

veteran wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:40 pm
''
Don't be tempted to go for wider tyres, unless you're willing for more roadnoise to be conveyed up into the chassis, and hence into the cabin. Leave wider wheels and tyres to the boy racers.

For myself, it was a matter of deciding whether I really wanted to end up with a set of nearly-new spare tyres on my hands, together with the risks of wheel-damage during fitment of the new ones, pitted against just 'making do' with the Hankooks for what I now see for myself (in my now advanced years) as probably some rapidly diminishing years of motoring. The latter won out.
I agree with Veteran in that if you're going to be trading in the car in the near future, you'd be best sticking with mid-range tyres if you need them for MOT. But if you'll be keep the car for the foreseeable future get the best tyres you can afford, never cheap out on the rubbers :wink:

Also I went for tyres that were slightly wider (tend to be labelled XL or rim-protector) as they offer a natural rim protector, which was important for me due to my line of work.
Polonut
New
Drives: 2020 Polo Match 1Litre TSI

Post by Polonut »

Hi everyone - thanks for your input.
Will certainly stay with 185x60x15's - have found these to be less noisy than my previous 195x55x15's on a fabia. There is no difference to handling between the two, and I will not be tempted to go wider.

Currently I have conti's (original equipment) - these I have always found a little noisy, although in fairness they give good grip and life.
Michelin is still the way to go as far as I am concerned. Toss up between 'Energy' and 'Crossclimate' at the moment.
Thanks again