Puddle lights

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Puddle lights

Post by Aube »

Hi,

On the spec for the convenience pack it says ‘door mirror puddle lights’, but these seem to be missing on the car, so if anyone has this option can you please tell me if your car has these lights?

I’ve asked the dealer, but yet to have a reply.

Thanks
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: Puddle lights

Post by silverhairs »

What else does the "Convenience pack" give you?
Aube
Bronze Member

Post by Aube »

Hi,

The pack gives you the following, although on some models these are included as standard.

The Light & Sight pack – automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror, automatic headlights on, manual coming/automatic leaving home lighting function and rain sensor
Electrically heated and foldable door mirrors, door mirror puddle lights and reverse activated kerb-view adjustment on passenger’s door mirror
Front fog lights with static cornering function
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Aube wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 am Hi,

On the spec for the convenience pack it says ‘door mirror puddle lights’, but these seem to be missing on the car, so if anyone has this option can you please tell me if your car has these lights?

I’ve asked the dealer, but yet to have a reply.

Thanks
Worth having a read of this discussion thread;

https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71 ... 1&p=536725

Pretty certain the convenience pack doesn’t include puddle lights in the door mirrors, which is where the brochure description for the convenience pack says they’re located, and that’s where they’re located on the current Golf.

Some of the features that are included as part of the Convenience Pack option are available as part of other option packs (e.g. Light and Sight pack can be had as a stand alone option on SE, Beats and GTI models and is part of the standard spec on SEL, R-Line and GTI+) However, based on the latest price list, the only way you can get puddle lights is if you spec the Convenience Pack and the Convenience Pack is only an option on the SE. This might suggest that Puddle Lights are standard on models above the SE, but AFAIK no other model in the Polo range has them.

So it looks like the description of the Convenience Pack is another error in VW product literature (Winter Pack was also incorrect - now corrected in the latest price list brochure). The Convenience Pack content description on the configurator does not include piddle lights.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Can only relate my Golf experiences it's not over clear in brochures but you do get the impression puddle lites are included in the 'convenience pack', appreared to be the case on previous Mk7 SE; not so. Think you get the puddles if 'electrically folding mirrors' are specced and as mentioned only the Polo SEL, R-Line & GTi+ models have them as standard. They are useful when getting into / out of car in the pitch black, middle-of-nowhere's-ville but mostly just shine down the outside of the doors, and I think one would be aware pretty quicky if the doors were missing....
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

From the current 'Configurator' the convenience pack includes the following (SE model)

• Automatic coming/leaving home lighting function and daytime running lights
• Electrically heated and adjustable door mirrors, foldable with lowering front passenger function
• Front fog lights with static cornering function
• Automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror
• Rain sensor

------
Although to price list for August 18 lists the following.....??!!??

"Convenience pack Light & Sight pack – automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror, automatic headlights on,
manual coming/automatic leaving home lighting function and rain sensor
Electrically heated and foldable door mirrors, door mirror puddle lights and reverse activated
kerb-view adjustment on passenger’s door mirror
Front fog lights with static cornering function"
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

VW seem to be very good at having inconsistencies in product information from different sources; in this case, the latest price list and the configurator. The Polo model brochure states that the GTI/GTI+ has a multi link rear axle, when it has a beam axle like the rest of the new Polo range. It’s also not unknown for VW on-line chat to provide incorrect information to customers - they did when people were querying the Winter Pack content, advising that it included headlamp washers and heated washer jets when it has neither of these features! So, be aware you can’t necessarily rely on VW’s product information to be correct.

I think if you were to check any nearly new Polo SEL, R-Line and GTI+ that your local dealer may have on their forecourt or new SEL/R-Line/GTI+ in their showroom (these models have electric folding mirrors as standard), you’d find they don’t have puddle lights in the underside of the door mirror housings.

If you do a Google search on ‘mk7 Golf door mirror puddle lights, there will be various images of Golfs with these. However, if you do a similar search on the new Polo, there won’t be any images for the new Polo with puddle lights; any images returned from the Polo search will be of other VW models with these fitted, although you may see some pictures of forum member ciclo’s previous generation Polo where he has retro-fitted puddle lights.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Reading the last post, stating that the SEL has electrically foldable door mirrors, I've been done ! as I have paid out £160 for Electrically foldable door mirrors with heating and lowering function.
Mint_tea
New
Drives: SEL & SE

Post by Mint_tea »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:12 pm Reading the last post, stating that the SEL has electrically foldable door mirrors, I've been done ! as I have paid out £160 for Electrically foldable door mirrors with heating and lowering function.
SEL models do not have folding heated mirrors as standard. I’ve ordered them as optional extras on mine as well. Do wish though they had puddles lights as my current Mini Cooper has them.. and you can brand image the lights to the ground with Mini Logos/Numbers. Shame VW don’t do this!
Attachments
1F8A300B-3A6C-4B6F-9231-B720723AB98B.png
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:12 pm Reading the last post, stating that the SEL has electrically foldable door mirrors, I've been done ! as I have paid out £160 for Electrically foldable door mirrors with heating and lowering function.
Oops! Apologies silverhairs - my mistake! The R-Line and GTI+ has electrically folding mirrors but they’re an extra cost option on the SEL.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Same here, not kept up to date with latest Polo spec as my own interest has cooled somewhat mainly due to ridiculous (non) availability cars & delivery times. Prob hang on til June when Mk8 Golf should hit the shops and probably more Polos available so better chance of getting a good deal. And reasonable delivery....
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Although i've not yet driven my GTI+ in the dark (so I don't know if the LED headlights are any good), i'm positive that it doesn't have puddle lights like my Golf has. Can't say i've ever been bothered about having them. I have the April and June issued brochures and pricelists on pdf, so will consult those to see if the GTI+ should have them (and "selfie" the underside of my mirrors to see if there are any lenses).
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Definitely no puddle lights.
Aube
Bronze Member

Post by Aube »

Hi,

I had a call from VW customer service who explained that in the brochure and price list there are notes saying some illustrations and details do not necessarily reflect UK specifications and may not be available. So basically that’s the get out clause. However I mentioned the price list is updated regularly, so asked why can't that at least reflect the UK spec! He said that will be flagged up to the brochure team.

I live in hope.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Aube wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:44 pm Hi,

I had a call from VW customer service who explained that in the brochure and price list there are notes saying some illustrations and details do not necessarily reflect UK specifications and may not be available. So basically that’s the get out clause. However I mentioned the price list is updated regularly, so asked why can't that at least reflect the UK spec! He said that will be flagged up to the brochure team.

I live in hope.
I can understand the illustrations in the all model brochure may not reflect UK spec and there’s a statement to that effect in the brochure. But details of standard and optional equipment on each model in the UK price list brochure should surely reflect the correct details for UK spec cars; would-be customers will be using the information in the price list to help them decide on the spec of their purchase.

Based on the number of anomalies and inconsistencies in information that have appeared in VW product literature over time (not just the brochures for the current model Polo), you get the impression that VW either haven’t heard of, or don’t understand, the concept of proof checking prior to publication........☹️