Dashcam cable routing

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: Dashcam cable routing

Post by Adam_013 »

That a rather handy guide, thanks for that.

Could be worth mentioning that if you grab the rear view mirror base and twist it, the mirror does come off.. some may find this easier to mount the camera... Or when cleaning the windscreen!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

phileep
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Beats 2018

Post by phileep »

I have done the guide!!

See post for it here and good luck.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72583
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Hi, sorry to bring an old thread back to life.
Quick question about the fuse cover.
Where abouts do you put the trim removal tool to get it off ?
Not that confident with trim clips so I don't want to mess it up !
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

MattHGR wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:20 pm Hi, sorry to bring an old thread back to life.
I didn't use the trim tools at all for that bit. (Assuming RHD), I just pulled at it from the left edge, near the steering column trim.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

monkeyhanger wrote:
MattHGR wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:20 pm Hi, sorry to bring an old thread back to life.
I didn't use the trim tools at all for that bit. (Assuming RHD), I just pulled at it from the left edge, near the steering column trim.
Perfect. Done the same and got it off!
I've also gone for f55 (large fuse) as I don't use cigarette lighter anyway.
What are the 'sockets' that this fuse uses ? Are they the usb ports in the back of the car ?
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Bump:
What size fuse adapter(s) did everyone use?
Standard or mini?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:47 pm Bump:
What size fuse adapter(s) did everyone use?
Standard or mini?
It depends what fuses you tap for power. I tapped F6 (central locking) for my permanent live and F55 (cigarette lighter/12V power socket)for my switched live. Both those fuses are standard size, not mini.

Do you have a parking g monitoring function on yours? If not, you only need switched live.
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

I’ve a twin (F+R) F770 and Although it can be used in parking mode they are notorious for flattening the battery if used that way, atm I’m using front only with optional F770 cigarette lighter power lead, but as I’m at home on furlough I may as well get it wired up and free the cigarette socket up powering my coolbox. I’ll look around and order a couple of STD piggy back adaptors
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:22 pm I’ve a twin (F+R) F770 and Although it can be used in parking mode they are notorious for flattening the battery if used that way, atm I’m using front only with optional F770 cigarette lighter power lead, but as I’m at home on furlough I may as well get it wired up and free the cigarette socket up powering my coolbox. I’ll look around and order a couple of STD piggy back adaptors
Notorious? If they're not set up properly, perhaps

I've got the F770 dual camera in my Polo, been in for 18 months and in the wife's A1 for 2.5 years before that. Hard wired in and set up for parking mode. We have another F770 set that was in my Golf R for 3 years and was removed when we got rid and got a 2nd GTI+, but I haven't gotten around to refitting that one yet.

Set the cut off voltage to 12.2v and the battery will have plenty of juice to restart the next day, even in the middle of winter.

One thing you will find is that stop-start will be available less often unless you do long journeys daily.
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

The piggy back adaptors arrived yesterday and are soldered onto the 770 wiring, I just need a couple of 2amp blade fuses before I fit the cable in the car, as the adapters came with 20amp fuses, which are way too big for the job. The smallest blade fuses I’ve got atm are 5amp
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

I found feeding the rear camera cable easier than I thought, I was able to ease the door seals back enough to be able to slip the cable inside the edge of the roof lining, and pushing it in the joint between the A,B and C pillars. Then once I got to the tailgate I eased off the trim at the top rear for C pillar just enough by wedging a trim tool in, then did the same thing to the roof lining around the left tailgate hinge. This exposes a hole in the roof structure that enables you to feed the cable to the tailgate cable duct. The ends of which pop out on a pair of clips each, feed the cable through the duct (slightly tight), then pop out the plastic clip for the heated rear window. This will allow you to feed the camera cable halfway down the window frame, now remove the tailgate inner cover, then return the cable back into the heated window hole so the cable comes out in the bottom left corner of the tailgate. Replace the heated window clip and cable duct, you can now concentrate on feeding the cable to its final position, hiding the excess cable, replace the tailgate cover and fit the camera. I initially put the camera just above the rear wiper hump but found it was in the rear view too much so I moved it down to the left side of the hump as close to the cover as possible with the camera lens next to the hump.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Your post prompted me to get the other dashcam set (F770 2CH) put in the wife's Polo GTI+ (we've only had it 51 weeks!). All the front end is in and tidy, save for end connection inside the glove box - I can't find the fuse tappers! I'll have to order some more. 5 min job when they get here. I've got the rear dashcam cable to the end of the headlining. It started to get dark at the point I would've started the feed into the tailgate rubber gaiters from the back of the car, so I stopped. I found the replacement of the rear view mirror cap seeiously fiddly this time around, I must've been on the replacement of it for about 40 mins, just couldn't get it flush after my extremely neat notching of the cap for the cables.

Half an hour's work tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

I too have left it a year to get around to fitting the rear cam and hardwiring the setup, up to now I have been using the front cam powered by the cigarette lead, I didn’t notch the rear view mirror cover as there was just enough gap between it and the headliner for the cable to pass. Im Still using the cigarette socket lead atm as I’m waiting for some 2amp fuses to arrive so I can fit the fuse tappers, but everything is in place
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:42 am I too have left it a year to get around to fitting the rear cam and hardwiring the setup, up to now I have been using the front cam powered by the cigarette lead, I didn’t notch the rear view mirror cover as there was just enough gap between it and the headliner for the cable to pass. Im Still using the cigarette socket lead atm as I’m waiting for some 2amp fuses to arrive so I can fit the fuse tappers, but everything is in place
If you've got the proper hardwire kit, you don't need to worry about small capacity fuses as the switched live and permanent live wires have an inline glass fuse that will pop should you get a surge. Never had a popped fuse yet in 4 years operational use on one dashcam and 3 years on the other (both F770 2ch).
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

It’s easier for me to source & replace a blade fuse than a glass fuse. I once let the smoke genie out on another vehicle years ago by using too higher fuse, so waiting a couple of extra days for the fuses to arrive is insignificant as it’s working.
I need to check the 770’s settings because since I fitted the rear cam (powering the rig thru the cigarette socket) it keeps prompting me to reformat the memory card each time it starts up. So it’s either change settings or change memory card, the one that’s in is the one that came with it