Paint protection

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
PlymouthArgyle
New
Drives: 1.8 GTI

Paint protection

Post by PlymouthArgyle » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi guys,

How often does everyone wash and wax their cars to protect their paint? I try to to get it done once a week.
Do you use any special products and what do you recommend?

d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Re: Paint protection

Post by d-ash » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:04 pm

Had mine machine polished at Deluxe Detailing (to remove swirls and marring) and then coated with IGL Quartz (ceramic) which adds a hard protective layer to the paintwork and provides amazing shine. Better than when new. Water beads off and dirt is easy to remove. Good for at least 2 years protection before a top up is required. Not cheap, but dramatically reduces risk of adding swirls to the paintwork during washing and drying.

When washing I use a PH neutral shampoo (Krystal Kleen Choccy Wash) and use a soft wool cleaning pad. I usually wash once a week and, when I do dry, I use a large microfibre cloth.

My rinse water is fed via a DI pressure vessel which removes nearly all particulates/salts from the water such that there's no real need to dry the car (no water marks left on the paint surface when the water dries)

Angelwax H2Go on the glass to repel water (once every 3 months).

IGL Dash is great for covering marks on interior plastics without adding excessive shine

8D4EDA30-124A-4B66-B99E-06AF904B1D9D.jpeg
6657DDAE-1C5C-4ADA-AEDC-7CA5958A6F15.jpeg
Last edited by d-ash on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dink
Gold Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:53 pm

I wash my car maybe 5 times a year.

When you think about it most paint damage occurs when washing it.

SRGTD
Platinum Member
Drives: 2016 6C Polo GTI 5 door, Blue Silk

Post by SRGTD » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:10 am

I machine polish my car usually every 12-18 months and it’s currently ‘wearing’ a couple of coats of Fusso Coat Dark 12 Months Wax. It’s actually a sealant rather than a wax, and is highly hydrophobic - very impressive water beading and water just rolls off the paintwork. Realistically I’ve found it offers a good six months protection, but type of shampoo used will be a factor in durability of a sealant or wax (I use a ph neutral shampoo that doesn’t strip sealants or waxes off the paintwork).

For a good value wax with good durability, I really like Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. I believe it’s effectively the liquid version of Collinite’s 476s paste wax. Collinite 845 is very easy to apply and buff off, and I’ve managed to get 6 months protection before needing to top it up.

It’s important to decontaminate the paintwork (iron fallout remover, tar remover and if necessary, claying) before applying a sealant or wax to maximise the bonding properties of the product to the car’s paintwork. Apply the sealant or wax with a sponge applicator pad, and buff off with soft microfibre cloths.
Dink wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:53 pm
When you think about it most paint damage occurs when washing it.
This is very true, although the key to minimising paint damage (scratches, marring and swirls) when washing your car is having a careful, effective washing technique, and as little contact with the paintwork as possible. A good pre-wash stage as a first step will remove most of the dirt before any contact is made with the paintwork during the wash stage.

I usually wash my car every 7-10 days and my wash technique is (and current products used);
- prewash stage; apply snowfoam (Valet Pro Ph Neutral snow foam) with lance attached to pressure washer and leave to dwell for around 10 mins
- while the snow foam is doing its thing, I clean the door shuts, grilles, brake calipers, chrome exhaust tailpipes and other intricate parts with soft bristle detailing brush
- wash the wheels with dedicated microfibre wheel mitt and clean the wheel barrels with Wheel Woolies (Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo)
- pressure wash rinse car to remove any remaining snowfoam
- wash stage: two bucket wash (I use 3; the extra one for washing the wheels), with lambs wool wash mitt and a ph neutral shampoo (currently using Chemical Guys Extreme Bodywash and Wax shampoo). Grit guards in the bottom of the buckets to trap any grit picked up in the wash mitt and stop it being reapplied (inflicting swirls) to the paintwork
- rinse wth open ended hose to sheet the water off the car, so leaving as little water as possible on the paintwork to dry off. There’ll be very little water left if the car is well protected with a good layer of sealant or wax.
- dry remaining water off the car with Metro Vac Sidekick Blaster warm air dryer. Pat dry any remaining water with microfibre drying towels (avoid rubbing dry, as this can inflict marring and swirls)
- clean glass (Autoglym Fast Glass)
- dress tyres and black plastic trim (Finishkare Top Kote Tire Dressing)

This is mine just after I’ve machine polished it and applied two coats of Fusso;
Attachments
C429D717-B76B-4DDD-AC76-19CD30C10C4E.jpeg

Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:45 pm

I ceramic coated my car 2 years ago with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light and Exo V2 (now revised to v4), and it looks still as good as it did after polishing it 2 years ago, with I'd say very very few scratches have been incurred, It's good for 5 years. I also wash weekly.

I agree with SRGTD, the most important step of keeping a great shine and looking 100% is the weekly wash with the proper technique as this is where 90% of scratches and swirls will be put on the car or completely avoided. I haven't tried the Fusso wax or collonite (i've heard extremely good things though), as I prefer Ceramic Coats and Sio2 infused waxes, due to working on construction sites I need maximum protection.