Polo Juddering Whilst Accelerating

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
blewdune
New
Drives: VW Polo Dune 1.4 54 plate

Polo Juddering Whilst Accelerating

Post by blewdune »

Hi all, first time post looking for some advice regarding my 54 plate 1.4 Polo Dune.

Very recently my car has began to judder whilst pulling away & accelerating in low gears, it's as though there simply isn't enough power to get the car moving & I'm confident it isn't through driver error. The problem is intermittent, but it does seem to happen more so when the engine is warmed up. As I say the issue happens when I'm pulling away & trying to get the car up to speed. Once this begins to happen the car also then judders when stood still. It's worrying because my car is essential for work & I would like to get it sorted ASAP.

I wasn't sure if it could potentially be dirty/bad fuel, as I filled up at Sainsbury's this past Sunday & the problem only began on Monday afternoon. Is it possible that is the issue? If so would Redex be the way to go?

I have also done some googling & reading of threads on other forums that note similar problems, Coils & HT leads seem to be a very common cause of this type of issue, others have mentioned spark plugs. As I know next to nothing about car's beyond the real essentials, I thought I would come here.

If anyone does have any experience or idea's about this I would be very appreciative of the guidance.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.
dizzypolo
New
Drives: 9N 1.4 2004 petrol

Re: Polo Juddering Whilst Accelerating

Post by dizzypolo »

I have had also had this problem and wondering if you resolved this problem.

my 1.4, ive only had 1 week, and it happened after 24 of getting it. The first thing I did, and the cheapest is to remove the throttle body and clean it out with EGR cleaner. Mine was a bloody mess and this made a huge difference, in addition if the plugs havent been done for a while, do these right away.

My also be worth cleaning out any MAF sensors or the MAP sensor, on my engine it is right next to the oil dipstick. this is a 15 minute job.

Has your fuel and air filters been changed recently?

Ive done all the above to my car, and still testing to see if its resolved the issue. I made the mistake of using morrisons petrol, and sometimes Esso/Shell/BP work better. do not be tempted to use the redex it has never worked for me.

Also start the car let it warm up, does your idle sit still, on mine there is sometimes the odd misfire, unfortunatly its still not 100% gone and most of the time its not noticeable, but still bugs me.

Let me know how it goes.
Julio_Polo
New
Drives: 9n3 1.2 petrol

Post by Julio_Polo »

I had identical symptoms and couldn't find definitive confirmation of the cause on here ... so I thought I would update this old thread.

I had recently replaced filters so I knew they weren't the problem. Throttle body cleaning had no effect. Replacing camshaft position sensor made some improvement, but the engine warning light came on. Replacing the MAP sensor finally sorted it.
Uberscuba
New
Drives: 2005 9n 1.2

Post by Uberscuba »

Julio_Polo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:16 pm I had identical symptoms and couldn't find definitive confirmation of the cause on here ... so I thought I would update this old thread.

I had recently replaced filters so I knew they weren't the problem. Throttle body cleaning had no effect. Replacing camshaft position sensor made some improvement, but the engine warning light came on. Replacing the MAP sensor finally sorted it.
Hi, I've just bought a 9n as my first car and have this issue in gear 1 and 2. Glad to hear you solved it by replacing the MAP sensor, before I replace mine is there anyway I can check my MAP sensor is faulty? Will it have a fault code or is there any other check I can do? Thanks