Fuel consumption

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Re: Fuel consumption

Post by fazzy »

Today I did a two way trip. Sunday evening, not much traffic.
One way was in Eco mode and back was in Sport mode.
15 miles one way, of which approx. 9 miles was on a highway and the other 6 was typical city centre traffic.
ACC set at 38 mph in both Eco and Sport mode in the city and 75 mph on the highway stretch.
On-board results are as follows:
Attachments
E7740497-A1ED-4D01-94FF-3FD3E6597C03.jpeg
CBEF5881-0672-4E5D-8700-3867C9E66BF3.jpeg
Plend
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI

Post by Plend »

For my daily commute last yesterday I ran the car to and from work in Sport mode 40 mile round trip, with about 20 miles of motorway driving sitting at 70(ish)mph the rest on country roads and through town and I averaged 44.3mpg

This seems to be pretty average from the figures ive noticed over the past few weeks of driving back and forth to work.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

fazzy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:39 pm Today I did a two way trip. Sunday evening, not much traffic.
15 miles one way, of which approx. 9 miles was on a highway and the other 6 was typical city centre traffic.
ACC set at 38 mph in both Eco and Sport mode in the city and 75 mph on the highway stretch.
That's the kind of difference I've never seen between Eco and Sport mode- is the outward (Eco) journey downhill, and the return uphill? :lol:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I started my new job yesterday - I now have a 32 mile each way commute (64 miles round trip), on mainly uncongested dual carriageway, save for a 3 mile crawl near some major roadworks (a huge flyover bridge is being built on a very busy roundabout to ease north/southbound congestion that'll go straight over when its finished).

Yesterday, with an ambient temp of 5.5C, the car did 40.7mpg there and 44.4mpg back. That's doing 70-75mph on the dual carriageway. The tyre pressures were 36psi front, 32psi back, which makes for a comfy ride.

Today I pumped my tyres up to 38psi front and 36psi back (closer to VW's recommendations) and set off. With an ambient temp of 10C, I was hoping to better yesterday's effort. I stuck to 70mph more rigidly and it all made no difference at all...40.2mpg, and a lower average speed for the journey..

I'll let the tyres back down to what they were tonight as ride was a little harder but has had no gains in mpg at all.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:30 am
fazzy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:39 pm Today I did a two way trip. Sunday evening, not much traffic.
That's the kind of difference I've never seen between Eco and Sport mode- is the outward (Eco) journey downhill, and the return uphill? :lol:
Area around Warsaw is as flat as a frying pan :) About 120m above sea level.
Take note that the average speed and the driving time is exactly the same...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

fazzy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:15 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:30 am
Area around Warsaw is as flat as a frying pan :) About 120m above sea level.
Take note that the average speed and the driving time is exactly the same...
Yep, I noticed ave speed and driving time was the same, so was surprised to see such a difference in mpg between the 2 journeys, knowing that you couldn't have caned it on the way home. Eco mode for me sees marginal gains (like 1mpg difference). Way home tonight was 44.3mpg. So despite being noticeably warmer today, today's commute and yesterday's was almost identical.

I did notice you used ACC - there's probably the difference. Recovery of speed after a slowdown to programmed speed uses far more throttle in Sport to get you back to where you were. I never use ACC unless I'm in an average speed camera zone. I'd rather anticipate the road ahead myself and come off the accelerator earlier than have the car brake for me. It is clever kit, but I'd rather do distance maintenance myself so I don't feel too redundant driving a car that's not far off being autonomous.
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:22 pm Yeah, I expected better MPG too.
It's annoying that I'm getting far better MPG at 70mph than I am around town, when I've bought it as a (primarily) town car.
Really, it amazes me that VW seem have geared it with motorway driving in mind.
I wouldn't have thought a 95bhp car was high on the list for people who do long distances....
I'm actually wondering if I'd have been better getting the 75bhp model.
It can't possibly have the same high gearing as the 95bhp, it wouldn't pull it.
So the lower gearing of the 75bhp would probably make it nicer around town.
This isnt the gearing, this is because in town you keep stopping (or slowing significantly) and starting. This wrecks the fuel consumption as getting going uses lots of revs with low speed. Even though 70MPH might be faster than the optimal speed for MPG, you arent stopping constantly
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

PoloGTInoob wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:22 pm [quote="Andy Beats" post_id=547289 time=<a href="tel:1546878164">1546878164</a> user_id=27876]
Yeah, I expected better MPG too.
It's annoying that I'm getting far better MPG at 70mph than I am around town, when I've bought it as a (primarily) town car.
Really, it amazes me that VW seem have geared it with motorway driving in mind.
I wouldn't have thought a 95bhp car was high on the list for people who do long distances....
I'm actually wondering if I'd have been better getting the 75bhp model.
It can't possibly have the same high gearing as the 95bhp, it wouldn't pull it.
So the lower gearing of the 75bhp would probably make it nicer around town.
This isnt the gearing, this is because in town you keep stopping (or slowing significantly) and starting. This wrecks the fuel consumption as getting going uses lots of revs with low speed. Even though 70MPH might be faster than the optimal speed for MPG, you arent stopping constantly
[/quote]

Correct. Unless you’re moving steadily at low speed the mpg will always be worse than higher speed as you’re stopping and starting in town. Majority of my tank is journeys from Preston to Manchester and 6 of my last 7 tanks have been 40.5 to 42.5 mpg in a gti. When I’m not at work my gti plummets as I’m round town.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

I noticed this thread resurrected and amazed and the differential between the models.

My lowly 1.0 TSi was showing 65mpg average earlier this morning.. (better than my 2006 1.4TDi ever did and I was pleased with that) I do a motorway run maybe once per month.. the rest is local/shopping. I did change me driving technique after reading the manual.. my old style method (dad taught LOL) was to get to top gear as quickly as possible which meant revving (3500-4000 rpm) in the lower gears.

Now I do as the manual suggests .. mostly.. a change up at 2000 rpm in all gears. t is just on the border of slugging the car when going up to third/fourth etc but ok if not if you don't put the pedal to the metal of course.

The torque seems to be highest from around 3000 but rarely use it unless getting out of trouble quickly. I'd feel sick if I only got 22mpg around town as person had in the original post.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

My wife has the 95ps and averages mid 40s to low 50s depending on her driving that week. She mainly does shorter journeys than myself. She drives the car as you do graz, changing up around 2K rpm and she doesn’t really ever floor it, so could just be down to how people drive the car.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

I think mine is the 70Kw 94bhp engine

perhaps that is the difference.. ?

I try to anticipate when driving... braking less and accelerating normally... It may not be fun but I prefer relaxed motoring (if others will let you).

incidentally a few friends have come up to see us recently and without exception they have all complained about the driving (ironic word.. standard) here in Birmingham as opposed to where they live.. A lot of running red lights and those behind (our visitors) coming up to an already RED light, bibbing their horn for not running through!

Few acknowledge you letting others pass.. and no I don't want a medal for it.. just courtesy.😒
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

That’s a city thing. When I get near work in Manchester I’ve noticed that sort of behaviour every morning but have few moments on the way to work until I’m in Manchester. Even had a transit van today trying to race me at some lights for some reason.
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGTInoob »

I just went for a 1hr evening drive in my 2020 GTI and i got nearly 47MPG! Usually during the day when there is traffic this would be closer to 35MPG i think.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

PoloGTInoob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:18 pm I just went for a 1hr evening drive in my 2020 GTI and i got nearly 47MPG! Usually during the day when there is traffic this would be closer to 35MPG i think.
Yes, the GTI is surprisingly economical. The current long term average in my GTI+ is 44 mpg and I have seen 50 - 55 mpg on some journeys. That’s similar to some of the diesel Golfs I’ve owned in the past.

My mpg is no doubt influenced by very little in-town or in-city driving these days, and pretty much all of my driving is outside of peak times. I drive mainly on single carriageway A and B roads, and usually the traffic conditions mean I’m just going with the flow.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:24 pm Yes, the GTI is surprisingly economical. The current long term average in my GTI+ is 44 mpg and I have seen 50 - 55 mpg on some journeys. That’s similar to some of the diesel Golfs I’ve owned in the past.

My mpg is no doubt influenced by very little in-town or in-city driving these days, and pretty much all of my driving is outside of peak times. I drive mainly on single carriageway A and B roads, and usually the traffic conditions mean I’m just going with the flow.
To be fair ... Polo GTI have same version of engine that was used in tiguan as "Eco" version. They just added extra 15 or so HP and slapped GTI badge on it. :D
On the other they detuned it to 2/3 of max power they offer in other models which should boost reliability.