New Blue GT owner

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
CymruPolo
Not so new

New Blue GT owner

Post by CymruPolo »

Morning all. I’ve not been on this forum for quite some time. I sold my 6n2 GTi almost 10 years ago and bought a MK4 Golf R32 which I still own. I’ve recently bought a Blue GT as a daily driver so I thought I’d log back on here as I’ve a few questions which I hope you can help me with please :D .

- The car was registered in May 2015. Does that make it a 6R or a 6C?
- It didn’t come with any floor mats unfortunately, are there ones specifically for the Blue GT?
- I see that xenon headlamps were an option for these cars, mine does not have them. How difficult is it to retro fit them?
- For any Blue GT owners reading this, what kind of MPG are you averaging?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: New Blue GT owner

Post by RUM4MO »

Probably the best way to work this out is by the MMI fitted to the car, the big change from 6R to 6C was the electrical side of things and the 1.2TSI engines were all now 16V and belt driven camshafts, though that is of no good when your car is a Blue GT.

I'd say this, if your car has "the bigger" infotainment screen, then it is a 6C.

Edit:- the trouble is, it could have been a late 6R for that date of registration.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Welcome back CymruPolo.

6r or 6c? - The post at the link below should enable you to identify whether your car is a 6r or 6c. The more obvious differences are in the interior.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=71633&p

Blue GT specific floor mats; I don’t think specific floor mats were ever produced for the Polo Blue GT with with a blue edging and / or a ‘Blue GT’ logo embroidered onto them. I know that some Golf owners bought model-specific mats from Carmats2u and they were able to specify the edging colour and also a model-specific logo for the mats. Link to website;
https://www.carmats2u.co.uk/vw-polo-mk5 ... 2026-p.asp

Sorry, but I don’t know how difficult it would be to fit OEM xenons to your car, but I suspect it would be quite costly.

I’ll leave forum members who have a Blue GT to comment on the likely MPG that you might expect to get.
massimo23
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Beats 2017

Post by massimo23 »

Hi there CymruPolo. With the vin number i could find out for you or you can do it yourself. i can pm you a link i used to find out all parts regarding my car.
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

Thank you all for your replies, much aporeciated 8)

@ massimo23: If you could PM me that link, that’d be great. Thanks!

Has anyone upgraded the bulbs in their headlights? If so, what’s everyone using? I’m finding the standard bulbs quite poor compared to what I’m used to in the R32.
Robby71
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Golf R-Line EVO

Post by Robby71 »

Hi
I've had 2 Polo GTs and now have a Golf MK7 GT (same engine).
I changed the headlight bulbs to Osrams which gave a whiter light and slightly better throw but nothing like xenons, changed the DRLs to leds which were very white but kept blowing :(
I fitted Skoda Yeti chrome exhaust trims which fitted perfectly and were a lot cheaper than VW ones.
I was getting around 45mpg on my 7 mile commute (40mph route) which is 2mpg more than the Golf is getting

I have a pair of front luxury velour genuine VW mats which were only in the car for less than 500 miles so are in excellent condition (cost £65) - £25 if you're interested?
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

Robby71 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:27 pm Hi
I've had 2 Polo GTs and now have a Golf MK7 GT (same engine).
I changed the headlight bulbs to Osrams which gave a whiter light and slightly better throw but nothing like xenons, changed the DRLs to leds which were very white but kept blowing :(
I fitted Skoda Yeti chrome exhaust trims which fitted perfectly and were a lot cheaper than VW ones.
I was getting around 45mpg on my 7 mile commute (40mph route) which is 2mpg more than the Golf is getting

I have a pair of front luxury velour genuine VW mats which were only in the car for less than 500 miles so are in excellent condition (cost £65) - £25 if you're interested?
Where did you buy the bulbs?

Yeh, I definitely want the exhaust trims. Not sure why they didn’t do them as standard :| . How much were the Yeti ones? And do they just slide on?

I start at my new work location tomorrow, so will be ibteresting to see what MPG I manage!

Is it just the front mats you have available?
Robby71
Bronze Member

Post by Robby71 »

I bought the bulbs off Ebay - cheaper the Halfrauds, etc
I think the Yeti trims were around £30 for the pair - can't remember exactly but around that price, they slide on and are held in place with metal tabs on the inside
I just have the front mats as i had standard ones in the back - now looking at a GTi so might hang on to these for a week or so just in case i buy it :)

Another "upgrade" i did was to fit the 2nd engine cover which fits over the coilpacks to give a neater look - these are cheaper (non genuine) from Aliexpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Widanfo ... b5c1b732c3
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I've always used Powerbulbs for all my "better" main and dip beam bulbs, they sell Osram, Phillips and other brands.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

You are better to get VW car mats. My VW ones have lasted over 8 years and are still in good condition but have got through two sets of aftermarket ones in only 5 years where I specified logo and trim colour.
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

Robby71 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 pm I bought the bulbs off Ebay - cheaper the Halfrauds, etc
I think the Yeti trims were around £30 for the pair - can't remember exactly but around that price, they slide on and are held in place with metal tabs on the inside
I just have the front mats as i had standard ones in the back - now looking at a GTi so might hang on to these for a week or so just in case i buy it :)

Another "upgrade" i did was to fit the 2nd engine cover which fits over the coilpacks to give a neater look - these are cheaper (non genuine) from Aliexpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Widanfo ... b5c1b732c3
Cool, thank you 8)

Did you buy the Yeti trims from Skoda?
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:12 am I've always used Powerbulbs for all my "better" main and dip beam bulbs, they sell Osram, Phillips and other brands.
Superb, will have a look there. Thanks!
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

joe6 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 am You are better to get VW car mats. My VW ones have lasted over 8 years and are still in good condition but have got through two sets of aftermarket ones in only 5 years where I specified logo and trim colour.
Yeh, that sounds a good call. Do you know if there is just one version (i.e. just one colour)?
Robby71
Bronze Member

Post by Robby71 »

CymruPolo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:30 pm
Robby71 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 pm I bought the bulbs off Ebay - cheaper the Halfrauds, etc

Cool, thank you 8)

Cheapest genuine trims on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Skod ... ctupt=true
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

Robby71 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm
CymruPolo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:30 pm

Cool, thank you 8)

Cheapest genuine trims on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Skod ... ctupt=true
Just bought them now. Thank you 8)