Can't Pull Ignition Coils

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Lester
New
Drives: 2008 Polo 1.4 Comfortline

Can't Pull Ignition Coils

Post by Lester » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I want to remove my spark plugs to do a visual inspection and see if they need replacement. I don't have the service history of my car so I'm afraid my plugs are due for replacement. Pulling them with my bare hands don't work so I bought an ignition coil puller (T10094A).
puller (Copy).JPG
I thought I could easily get them out but they are still very difficult to remove. I tried hammering up the puller handle but I stopped because it doesn't seem to be a good idea. I tried twisting left and right. It moves a little from side to side but not upwards. I can't pry it up with a flat screwdriver because of the plastic wiring guide around the ignition coils.
coil (Copy).JPG
I'm thinking of devising a screw type puller that can sit on the camshaft housing. If anyone has any tips on removing an ignition coil, please let me know. Thank you.

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Can't Pull Ignition Coils

Post by RUM4MO » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:07 pm

That puller should give you your best chance of pulling these coils up, I had removed all the coils on my wife's old Polo 1.4 16V before I bought a coil puller kit, and the method I used was to lever them up using 2 suitable screwdrivers, taking care not to damage the plastic cable management part. Only ever lever in close to the centre line of the spark plug to avoid snapping them off.

I'd think that if you try using 2 screwdrivers - one opposite the other to avoid damaging the coil, then applying steady pressure, these coils will come up enough for you to fit the puller back on and lift them out.

Lester
New
Drives: 2008 Polo 1.4 Comfortline

Re: Can't Pull Ignition Coils

Post by Lester » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:12 am

Hi RUM4MO,

Thank you for tip. I tried it but the screwdrivers have nothing to pry against expect the plastic wiring guide.
I will make something that can sit on the camshaft housing and attach the coil puller. Will share it here later. :)