New Polo SE from Stock - How much hub rust is OK?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
coastline88
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95PS

New Polo SE from Stock - How much hub rust is OK?

Post by coastline88 »

After being quoted 21 weeks on a factory build I opted for a stock car (same spec apart from wheels - unregistered at Grimsby) with only 4-6 wk wait time.

So the car is already at the Dealer approx 3 weeks after order. I couldn't hold my water and went looking to see if it had arrived which was probably a bad idea.

So I found my car at the back of the lot still with partial plastic wrap on and very dusty as would be expected.

But the thing that stopped me in my tracks was no centre caps on the alloys and very rusty hubs visible.
20190225_122216.jpg
I know you get rust on the inner hub and brake discs if the car has been standing for any time but just wanted some feedback on this from more experienced buyers.

It looks as if the centre caps have been removed at some point between the factory and the dealer and the hubs have been left exposed to the elements.

OK, once they put new caps on I won't be able to see it but should I be bothered about this, or just let it go?

The car is going to be on a 3 year lease. I guess as long as it's not visible, doesn't cause any mechanical issues, and will not cause a problem when VWFS take the car back in 3 years it shouldn't be a big deal.

If I hadn't gone looking I guess I wouldn't even know about it!

But..... it's a new car! More importantly it's my new car! :-(

So what does everyone think?

Another question is about the (presumably) customs sticker on the windscreen.
Customs.JPG
Not sure if the date would be entry date to the UK or Exit from SA. Just trying to work out how long it's been sitting in a soggy field in Grimsby!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: New Polo SE from Stock - How much hub rust is OK?

Post by Andy Beats »

Mine could look like that behind the centre caps, for all I know.
Are the visible brake parts Ok, calipers/discs?
I wouldn't worry about end-of-lease, they only look for damage to wheels/bodywork etc.
Things like brake calipers/drums/hubs being rusty aren't considered 'damage'
coastline88
New

Post by coastline88 »

This Might be a better picture for calipers/discs.
20190225_121938.jpg
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

You're maybe just a bit 'premature' and all this will be cleaned up as part of the PDI.
With regard to the date on the sticker, even if that's the date it left SA it only takes a few weeks to get here.
So, yes, I would say your car has been sitting 'somewhere' for a while.
This is probably an example of 'best not knowing' :)
Curiosity killed the cat etc.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve seen a number of ‘just delivered’ new cars on various occasions at the dealership I use (when I’ve taken my car in for servicing work). None of these have had the wheel centre caps fitted, so I don’t think they’ve been removed from your car - they’ve just not been fitted yet, but will be as part of the PDI before you take delivery.

There’s been lots of discussion on various VW forums during the lifespan of the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf on the subject of rusty hubs; primarily the visible part of the hub that you can see through the wheel spokes, rather than the centre of the hub that’s hidden behind the wheel centre cap. Some cars that are only few months old have visibly rusty hubs. If you do an internet search on ‘mk7 Golf rust hubs’ you’ll see it’s quite common. Owners who’ve raised this with their dealer have been told its ‘normal’, so if VW aren’t worried about it, then I don’t think you’ll have any issues with VWFS at the end of your lease in three years time.

I wouldn’t worry about it.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Mine are rusty like that (Polo GTI+) - but only on that centre bit. I have pics on the forum from when I was checking wheel arch liner clearance for wider tyres (search: arch lining, and you'll see the pics).

Centre caps are dealer fit at PDI so they don't get pinched on the journey to deliver.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Hum, yes on all counts!(with reference to Andy beats posting)

A newish model of an in demand car and it was probably built over 4 months ago.

I would not be concerned one bit about that rust as these parts get no corrosion protection, if concerned I’d get these wheels off as soon as you collect it and “paint” that central hub area with grease but not out where the flat area of the wheels contacts.
Last edited by RUM4MO on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

If one were inclined to worry about a car that's been sitting for ages, I'd be more inclined to worry about the tyres and battery.
The tyres sitting on the same spot for months isn't great.
And a battery sitting doing nothing for months isn't great either.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 am A newish model of an in demand car and it was probably built over 4 months ago.
Evidently not in demand in that spec.
Just shows you the downside of 'bespoke' cars.
Divert from standard spec even a little and you've to wait months, while a standard one languishes in a field for months.
coastline88
New

Post by coastline88 »

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Great to have your feedback especially about the caps being fitted at PDI - that makes a lot of sense.

OK - I've put my hissy fit back in it's box and feel a lot better now.

My Spec was standard apart from Reef Blue Metallic paint and interior style pack (for the black headlining). I think the reason this one has sat unwanted is the wheels in this combo. They might take some getting used to, I prefer the standard Sassari, or even the Salou.

So now I just have to wait for the Admin dept to sort the registration, the hose technician to clean 4 months of crap of it and then some caps to hide the rusty bits!

Anyone know how long the registration process takes? Would have thought it's just 5 minutes on a computer! Patience was never a strong point of mine!

I should change the thread title to "You don't want to see how Sausages are made!"
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

How long 'should' registration take, or how long 'will' it take?
I'll never understand car dealer timescales, I really won't.
My car was there, in the showroom, all shiny shiny and ready to rock.
Paperwork all approved on the day, I still had to wait 4 working days to collect it.
Yet I can sell a car and tell DVLA the new owner instantly, online.
Does my head in.
coastline88
New

Post by coastline88 »

How long 'should' registration take, or how long 'will' it take?
That's what I was afraid of! :-(
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

coastline88 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:56 am That's what I was afraid of! :-(
In my experience, dealers still take as long to register a car as when they used to have to physically go into town and do it at the DVLA office.
It's like the time it takes to register a car is 'hard wired' into them and new technology has made no difference.
I believe car supermarkets allow you to drive away in a car these days, no idea why main dealers take days.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Most VAG cars get rusty hubs in no time so like Tom Jomes 'it's not unusual'.

If you're getting a new car best thing to do is remove the wheels, one at a time give the hubs a good rub with wet and dry, wipe with white spirit or meths and paint the hubs with Smoothrite. Drys very quickly and will last and look smart for many years.

If it's a used car then do the same but try and remove as much of the rust that is there before painting.

The area shown on the images above dont need painting, when you have the wheels off, just rub the area with a little grease, it will soak in to the rust make it look black and stop it rusting any more.

One very useful tip, a thing to do whether you're painting hubs or not, is if you are taking the wheels off just put a smear of grease on the hub where the centre of the wheel sits, that way when you come to remove a wheel for a puncure etc the wheel comes off easily and doesnt need to be beaten.....
coastline88
New

Post by coastline88 »

Just realised why they seemed to be in no hurry to register my car - it's the 1st of March today so it'll get a new 19 plate!

As it's a Contract hire lease car I assume that will affect the residual value positively - so it makes sense for them to wait. May even be a stipulation from VWFS.